1/1400 Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector Spaceship - Pegasus Hobby

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

1/1400 Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector Spaceship - Pegasus Hobby

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

Greetings, Questerians!

Since I have met with a temporary setback on my AMT TOS Romulan BoP build and while I wait for the decals to come in, I decided to try and go ahead with my next build – the "Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector"! I got this as a birthday present earlier this year, along with the Photoetch set, and the Soundtrack by David Newman!

ImageModel Paragrafix

The plan so far is to
1. light it
2. paint it with iridescent colors, similar to the recent refit builds going on, use aztecing
3. use fiber optics for the smaller lights

I'm still in the planning stage, but I think I will need at least
12 Blue LEDs – 3mm – I think
4 Red LEDs – 3 mm
4 white LEDs – 5mm
3 for the Primary Hull
1 for the Fiber Optics

Primary Hull lighting External

There are some square windows/lights on the "wings" that I haven't figured out yet and that may add to the number of white LEDs I'll need so, we’ll see.

I am thinking through picking up a blinking board from TenaControls for the white running lights. I had to watch Galaxy Quest again to make sure I got all the lights! Ya’know...I HAD to! This will be my first time working with Fiber as well as aztecing. I watched Trekworks do some aztecing to one of his refits and it “SEEMS” easy.

I've even made some progress on the model by using a pin vise and bit to drill out all the windows on the primary hull.

Anyway, still working toward the goal of making an awesome refit (1/537) and an even awesomer 1/350 TOS Enterprise!

I hope you will follow along as I start another journey into the unknown!

Never Give Up!
Never Surrender!

Steve
Last edited by MSgtUSAFRet on Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: 1/1400 Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector Spaceship - Pegasus Hobby

Post by Moongrim »

Well Galaxy Quest has been described as being the Best Star Trek movie ever made.

I'm inclined to agree.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

Oops! :oops: :oops: :oops:

I forgot this was only about Star Trek forum. If the Moderators want, I can remove the thread.

But, does a parody of Star Trek count?

Lemme know.

Steve
Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del »

I think the Mods could move the thread to the "Off Topic" section. No need to delete the thread, because I have one of these kits and want to see how you build yours. Perhaps you can send Scotchyn a PM about moving the thread?
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

Thanks, Del. I'll do just that.

Steve
Scotchyn
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Scotchyn »

Tis no problem...carry on as you are...it will be easier for folks to find..
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

Scotchyn wrote:Tis no problem...carry on as you are...it will be easier for folks to find..
Many thanks, Scott! Its is very much appreciated!

Steve
TrekMD
Head of Starfleet Medical
Head of Starfleet Medical

Post by TrekMD »

Oh, this is the best parody of Star Trek out there and the Protector itself is a cool design, as far as I'm concerned. Looking forward to this. :)
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

Where do we get one in the "Sacred Scale"?
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

Fellow Questarians,

Thanks for all the interest in the build!! I am stoked about it and look forward to the challenges yet to come!
TrekMD wrote:Oh, this is the best parody of Star Trek out there and the Protector itself is a cool design, as far as I'm concerned. Looking forward to this. :)
Awesome! In reading up on the ship design, the model makers wanted to do an opposite mirror image of the Enterprise; where the E was straight and cylindrical, the Protector would be circular and flat and vice versa! The actual call letters for the Protector are N.T.E. 3120 with the N.T.E. meaning “Not The Enterprise”! ;D
slawton wrote:Where do we get one in the "Sacred Scale"?
Slawton, I got it where I get most of my models: Amazon! Here is the link just in case you want one: https://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-Quest-N-S ... asus+Hobby

The main concern, though, is how do I hide the wires in the body and wings. I am thinking I will have to create “channels” in the wings for some very small gauge wire (30 gauge AWG or smaller) to get power to the wings. I guess I will have to get a thickness gauge to help me make sure I don’t perforate the plastic while making the channels. Some of the lighted builds I have found tend not to show this aspect; and I can see why. Here is a pic I snapped this morning. There is only a very small opening in the wing, to the left of the picture, where some wire may go. I still haven’t applied too many brain cells to it yet, but it will definitely be a challenge.

ImageNo room in the Bussard Collector by Steve Hartzell, on Flickr

Thanks again for the interest in the build! As you can see, I am still in the planning stage as I suss out how to light, paint, mount and display it!

Sir Alexander Dane: Could they be the miners?
Fred Kwan: Sure, they're like three years old.
Sir Alexander Dane: MINERS, not MINORS.
Fred Kwan: You lost me.

Steve
Last edited by MSgtUSAFRet on Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “1/1400”