1/1400 Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector Spaceship - Pegasus Hobby

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: 1/1400 Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector Spaceship - Pegasus Hobby

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:41 pm

Greetings and Felicitations, Fellow Questarians!

If you have been following this thread; first, bless you for dropping by, reading and commenting on my humble, maddening build, second, you will remember I had purchased some Legos on which to prop the Protector. I had no pad with which to keep my supports stable, so I took my beautiful SO to the store for a green Lego pad. She even threw in another box of 484 classic piece set! I feel so creative! So, giddy with the endless possibilities! I feel like I should calm down and act more like my advanced age and level of maturity requires me to act.

Nah!

So here is a better building drydock, for the lack of a better term, than I have had! I kinda like it!

Image20170719_220945

Right, so now that I have decided on the masking design, it is going much more quickly! (Is there an echo in this forum?!) I was able to get the ventral of the Port wing masked out.

Image20170722_125242

And made some excellent headway on the Dorsal of the Port wing!

Image20170723_205554

I did some more study of the screengrabs I made of the movie and was able to come up with this design for the ventral of the primary hull.

Image20170723_173202

I know, I am a glutton for punishment and have already been fitted for a straightjacket! By now, the people at Arkham know me on a first name basis and have my room reserved for me!

I figured, with the way some of you fix up your TMP E, which scares me to death to even think of beginning, I could spend some time on this beauty and do my best for it!

Thanks as always for following along! Any comments or suggestions for improvement are appreciated!

Never Give Up! Never Surrender!

Steve

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:00 pm

Looks good, and yes, Lego is endlessly useful. I make all my mold boxes from Lego.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:58 pm

Okay, I think I have updated all the photo links in this thread; with some minor exceptions. Thanks for your patience while I migrated!

Tesral wrote:...yes, Lego is endlessly useful. I make all my mold boxes from Lego.

Yes they do! I made a mold of a base for my 1974 TOS E restoration project.

Image20160429_164005

It was my first attempt on duping something. I'm afraid I'm not as good at it as are you and other masters of the craft, Tesral! :D

BTW, I meant to ask, which OS do you use? Linix? Unix?

Thanks for dropping by and reading!

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:14 pm

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:It was my first attempt on duping something. I'm afraid I'm not as good at it as are you and other masters of the craft, Tesral! :D

BTW, I meant to ask, which OS do you use? Linix? Unix?

Thanks for dropping by and reading!

A bit of advice, use the two stud wide pieces. Lego is built with a small gap between studs. It make it work. Two stud slows down the leaks.

I am a user of open SUSE Lunix, both on laptop and desktop. Android on my tablet and phone.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:52 pm

Good day, Questarians!

Thanks for the tip, Tesral! I now have over 600 legos to choose from so, on my next dupe job, I will be able to follow your advice! :)

I hope all ya'lls your weekend was both enjoyable and productive!

Because the heat index in Houston this weekend was topping out at 109 degrees F, I stayed inside and worked on the Protector. Well, that's not entirely accurate. I got up at OMGITSDARK-thirty and mowed the quarter acre I call my lawn before it reached 90 degrees F. THEN I went inside and worked on the model.

I am finally getting around to the part of the ship, at least on the Starboard side, where the Aztecing is not so detailed. I figure even the original production model modelers got tired of painting them and realized they had to go into production sometime! :)

I was able to get both the Ventral and Starboard side Aft done. While it is only two pictures, you are still looking at a couple of days of my own brand of crazy. I think the next model will be something easy like, I dunno, the Enterprise C or the 350 TOS Enterprise!!

Ventral quarter
Image20170730_211109

Starboard side Aft
Image20170730_211513

Just a quick update. After all this work, I'm really starting to pray it looks as good as I hope!

Stay tuned for more! We'll be right back after a message from our sponsors!

Thanks for following and commenting!

JASON: You want to go home? Fine. Say the word, and we'll all go home and feed the fish and pay the bills and fall asleep with the TV on and miss out on THIS. Is that really what you want? Anybody?

Steve

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:56 pm

The makers of blue tape love you.

I've done intricate masking, it's a bear, but the results are great.

(It was a Nerf gun. The Vulcan belt fed auto.)

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:17 pm

Greetings Fellow Questarians!

I hope you had a safe and productive weekend! I avoided heat exhaustion by avoiding doing ANYTHING outside and using Sunscreen SFP3000!! I thought about going outside to mow the lawn at 0800 Saturday. Looked at the temp 89 degrees F. Tolerable I thought. Then looking at the humidity looming at 95% for a real feel of 103 degrees F, I decided to work on the model! :D

Tesral wrote:I've done intricate masking, it's a bear, but the results are great.
(It was a Nerf gun. The Vulcan belt fed auto.)

Oh! I'd love to see that! Pics! or it didn't happen! :lol:

I know this part of the build isn't very exciting or spectacular, but, like tiling a floor, it becomes addicting and cathartic at the same time! Weird. But, then, it IS ME! ;) :lol:

This represents nearly 12 to 16 hours of work this weekend. Measuring, cutting, placing, recutting, fixing, stretching and more "ings" ad infinitum, ad nauseum, so I thought I'd post a couple of pics to let you know I am still working on it, still alive, and still making progress; albeit slowly.

So I got the nose mostly done. I have a few lines I need to pretty up before I paint the bottom of the nose is now covered.

Image20170804_203620

The sides are done and fixed, with minor (minor not miner :roll: :lol: ) exceptions.

Image20170804_210313

Know that I have most of the masking on, I begin to think, how am I going to get it all off? But that part will probably go much faster than putting it on!

Till next time on Galaxy Quest!

Steve

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:00 pm

Hopefully that masking tape won't pull up your underlying paint layers. :o
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby novahobbies » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:38 am

:jawdrop:
Incredible tape work so far! I'm really wowed by this!!

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:50 pm

Hey Ya’ll!

trekriffic wrote:Hopefully that masking tape won't pull up your underlying paint layers. :o

I don’t anticipate a problem, Steve. I sprayed the model with a Primer rated for ABS plastic. I could have used an adhesion promoter (AP) on it I guess, but I’ve worked with the 3M tape before. Granted, I haven’t left it on for this length of time – so we’ll see. I plan to use the AP on my Ent-C project.

novahobbies wrote::jawdrop:
Incredible tape work so far! I'm really wowed by this!!

Thanks, novahobbies! :)
I am really hoping it turns out the way I envisioned it. :shock:

This is kinda uncharted territory for me. But, MAN, what a rush!!! :rockout:

Get it?! RUSH!

Okay…

Maybe not… ;)

Steve

Return to “1/1400”