Fleet Updates! PIC HEAVY

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Fleet Updates! PIC HEAVY

Postby novahobbies » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:03 am

scaddude wrote:
I love the Prometheus. One of my favorite kit builds. I took some liberties with the paint scheme, but overall, I'm happy with the way it came out.

You should be. Hands down the best paint job on the Prometheus I have ever seen. Your tape game is on point my friend.

scaddude
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Postby scaddude » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:54 am

novahobbies wrote:
scaddude wrote:
I love the Prometheus. One of my favorite kit builds. I took some liberties with the paint scheme, but overall, I'm happy with the way it came out.

You should be. Hands down the best paint job on the Prometheus I have ever seen. Your tape game is on point my friend.

Oh my friend... if you only saw how many Xacto blades I go through....

20161029_134111.jpg

IMG_20170423_090010_283.jpg

20161112_151832.jpg
"If nothing we do matters, all that matters is what we do..."

SKO
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby SKO » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:58 am

I have to stop looking at this thread. The drooling is annoying my wife

SKO
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby SKO » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:02 pm

Question on your E--did you do the windows before or after applying the acreation decals? I just tried to do the windows on my E years after applying and sealing my acreation decals and the ink bled under the decals and got blotches everywhere and the whole dang thing is ruined.

I kind of always wanted to re-do the thing as I was never 100% satisfied w it before (minor construction issues I made as a novice builder that I never could fix, lots of seams and gaps) but if I do this over I want to do the windows and decals right without blotchy destruction

scaddude

Postby scaddude » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:36 pm

SKO wrote:Question on your E--did you do the windows before or after applying the acreation decals? I just tried to do the windows on my E years after applying and sealing my acreation decals and the ink bled under the decals and got blotches everywhere and the whole dang thing is ruined.

I kind of always wanted to re-do the thing as I was never 100% satisfied w it before (minor construction issues I made as a novice builder that I never could fix, lots of seams and gaps) but if I do this over I want to do the windows and decals right without blotchy destruction

I did the windows after applying and sealing the decals.

I used MicroSol and MicroSet to make sure the decals stuck and conformed to the model. And I applied multiple coats of clear coat over it. Pretty much sprayed on a new coat if I knew I was going to be adding additional decals (like the life boats, the markings, etc). When I knew I was done with decals, I went in and scratched off the decals that were in the windows and painted them off. I used one of those dental pick tools. Really sharp/fine tip. With the multiple coats of gloss, they came off pretty easily and didn't spread out. Then, I used a black Micron 005 tip pen for the black windows, and very fine tip brush and white paint. Took FOREVER... :P
"If nothing we do matters, all that matters is what we do..."

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:19 pm

An impressive fleet. Your skills are prodigeous. I'm sure your E looks better than the studio model which was never meant to be seen up close for extended periods.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Return to “1/1400”