ACREATION DECALS

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
SKO
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

ACREATION DECALS

Postby SKO » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:32 pm

Anyone purchased a new set recently? I am doing a brand new Enteprise-E after I finally gave up on trying to salvage all of the things I screwed up on my old E and just started over. I bought my first set of Acreation Aztecs in 2013, right as the designer was bottoming out. I was lucky to get a set that were only a little brownish-grey and not the reds some others complained about. I know he only sells through third party vendors now so I'm wondering if quality is better? Are they more silver-grayish and screen accurate to Nemesis now?

MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)

Re: ACREATION DECALS

Postby MEATLOAFr » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:39 pm

I just purchased a 1/2500 1701-B blue set from hobbylinc - they seem ok, unsure of production date of the decals
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

scaddude
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Postby scaddude » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:33 pm

I bought my set from Hobbylinc.com a few months ago and they turned out pretty good. I had read that a lot of the final coloring has to do with the base coat, as well as the usage of decal setting solution. I don't know if that affected mine, but the end result was good enough for me.

This one is on my bench next to a window, so, more natural light:

This one I took at my office where I display them, under LED light:
"If nothing we do matters, all that matters is what we do..."

SKO
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby SKO » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:01 pm

scaddude wrote:I bought my set from Hobbylinc.com a few months ago and they turned out pretty good. I had read that a lot of the final coloring has to do with the base coat, as well as the usage of decal setting solution. I don't know if that affected mine, but the end result was good enough for me.

Damn that's a fine ship. Your pics of your E are what finally motivated me to just start over and do a brand new one. I don't have an airbrush so I'm doing all rattle can and brush paint for details but I've tried to go as close to yours as possible.

scaddude

Postby scaddude » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:04 am

SKO wrote:
scaddude wrote:I bought my set from Hobbylinc.com a few months ago and they turned out pretty good. I had read that a lot of the final coloring has to do with the base coat, as well as the usage of decal setting solution. I don't know if that affected mine, but the end result was good enough for me.

Damn that's a fine ship. Your pics of your E are what finally motivated me to just start over and do a brand new one. I don't have an airbrush so I'm doing all rattle can and brush paint for details but I've tried to go as close to yours as possible.

Oh wow, thanks for the kind words!

I'm still a big proponent of rattle cans. I just hope you're not as lead fingered as I am. Go lightly! :) And good luck! I look forward to seeing your stuff!
"If nothing we do matters, all that matters is what we do..."

SKO
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby SKO » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:14 pm

Got these in the mail over the weekend and am in the process of applying them. They were indeed more of a silver/gray than the first contact-y brown/gray that my first set was back in 2013. I'm very pleased w how screen accurate to Nemesis they appear to be so far. Neverthless I did forget how exhausting applying these are and how easily they like to flip and tear. Fortunately I don't think the few mistakes I've made are very visible from more than a few inches away and only to the trained eye.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:17 pm

SKO wrote:Got these in the mail over the weekend and am in the process of applying them. They were indeed more of a silver/gray than the first contact-y brown/gray that my first set was back in 2013. I'm very pleased w how screen accurate to Nemesis they appear to be so far. Neverthless I did forget how exhausting applying these are and how easily they like to flip and tear. Fortunately I don't think the few mistakes I've made are very visible from more than a few inches away and only to the trained eye.

Flipping and tearing is a problem with these thin aztec decals. Thankfully I got real good at color matching so I could actually paint a repair and blend it into the existing decal fairly seamlessly- at least to the naked eye.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

SKO
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby SKO » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:59 pm

trekriffic wrote:
SKO wrote:Got these in the mail over the weekend and am in the process of applying them. They were indeed more of a silver/gray than the first contact-y brown/gray that my first set was back in 2013. I'm very pleased w how screen accurate to Nemesis they appear to be so far. Neverthless I did forget how exhausting applying these are and how easily they like to flip and tear. Fortunately I don't think the few mistakes I've made are very visible from more than a few inches away and only to the trained eye.

Flipping and tearing is a problem with these thin aztec decals. Thankfully I got real good at color matching so I could actually paint a repair and blend it into the existing decal fairly seamlessly- at least to the naked eye.

Yeah I have been fortunate that so far the only noticeable tears have been on black or grey patches that were easily blended w the paints I had on hand

SKO
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby SKO » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:04 pm

20170714_173244.jpg
20170714_173318.jpg

I daresay she turned out alright. Will try to post more later if anyone is interested, posting from my phone and can't shrink the photos that are too big to post as attachments at the moment

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:47 am

You & scaddude made some really beautiful ships!
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “1/1400”