What new kits in the scale are you hoping for?

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
Crimson87
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

What new kits in the scale are you hoping for?

Post by Crimson87 »

So with Nu-Trek firmly going. What kits are you hoping for from Polar lights or Garage kit manufactures in 1400?

We've had some really good ones done or on the way thanks to Horner Shipyards such as...
Enterprise-G/Titan-A (Neo Constitution III)
Cerritos (California)
Soon-to-be Stargazer (Sagan)
Thank You, Horner Shipyards!

Personally I'm looking for a...
Pre-TOS Discovery (Crossfield)
Pre TOS/SNW Enterprise (Constitution)
and weirdly the Archimedes (Obena). I'm a sucker for excelsior and sovereigns and somehow it's both!

I'd also like an
Excelsior II, Reliant, Ross, Sutherland, and Odyssey. But I can definitely live with them being delayed a bit for the others mentioned above.

Any new designs you absolutely want to see in 1400?
Last edited by Crimson87 on Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:27 am, edited 5 times in total.
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: What new kits in the scale are you hoping for?

Post by slawton »

I'm more of a 1/2500 scale modeler (cheaper & less space), which I'm still holding out hopes for older ships like Vorcha, Neghvar, BoP, Nebula, Excelsior, etc.

In 1/1400 scale (any scale really), they would need to be a profitable market -- from your list that probably means only G, SNW Constitution & Cerritos (series "hero" ships) as candidates from a vendor like Round 2. Given the size of the kits, it would probably not be economical for garage kit makers to develop a master, create molds and cast a batch of most of those ships (they would be very expensive to make, which would limit buyers even more). Also expensive, but doable, is 3D prints from digital artists. The detail/accuracy can vary and you'd also need to get the decals made as well. So, everything is on the table at some point, but it will likely cost a pretty penny.
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer
ProfArturo
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by ProfArturo »

I'd kinda like a Titan-A kit in 1400 from Round 2 but I'd want to badge it as such, for sure.
JeepSwensonFan1980
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by JeepSwensonFan1980 »

Negh'Var would be awesome.
Crimson87

Post by Crimson87 »

slawton wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:01 pm I'm more of a 1/2500 scale modeler (cheaper & less space), which I'm still holding out hopes for older ships like Vorcha, Neghvar, BoP, Nebula, Excelsior, etc.
I'm pretty sure both primary Nebulas are done by VA Minitures, and the Negh-Var is done by Skyhook Models and sold over at Federation Models. I swear I've seen the excelsior before, but don't remember where.
slawton wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:01 pm In 1/1400 scale (any scale really), they would need to be a profitable market -- from your list that probably means only G, SNW Constitution & Cerritos (series "hero" ships) as candidates from a vendor like Round 2. Given the size of the kits, it would probably not be economical for garage kit makers to develop a master, create molds and cast a batch of most of those ships (they would be very expensive to make, which would limit buyers even more). Also expensive, but doable, is 3D prints from digital artists. The detail/accuracy can vary and you'd also need to get the decals made as well. So, everything is on the table at some point, but it will likely cost a pretty penny.
I'm cool with that, I'll drop a penny if its worth it. But mainly I'm hoping that more resin print manufactures will gear up. I've dabbled in resin casting a decade or two ago, mainly cause I wanted a fleet of Excelsiors and Mirandas from DS9. So I do get it's expensive and takes time. Printing them looks to be a little less messy, faster, and more accurate though. So I'm hoping they come along at some point. I've been seeing kits over at Thingaverse and drooling... I'm wanting an (Ambassador era) Apollo, an Abbe, a Refit Saladin, and a TOS Surya/Miranda etc... Its got me thinking of trying to get into Resin printing myself just to see how the process works.
Last edited by Crimson87 on Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Halgebra
Captain USS Rachel
Captain USS Rachel

Post by Halgebra »

Crimson87 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:50 am
slawton wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:01 pm I'm more of a 1/2500 scale modeler (cheaper & less space), which I'm still holding out hopes for older ships like Vorcha, Neghvar, BoP, Nebula, Excelsior, etc.
I'm pretty sure both primary Nebulas are done by VA Minitures, and the Negh-Var is done by Skyhook Models and sold over at Federation Models. I swear I've seen the excelsior before, but don't remember where.
slawton wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:01 pm In 1/1400 scale (any scale really), they would need to be a profitable market -- from your list that probably means only G, SNW Constitution & Cerritos (series "hero" ships) as candidates from a vendor like Round 2. Given the size of the kits, it would probably not be economical for garage kit makers to develop a master, create molds and cast a batch of most of those ships (they would be very expensive to make, which would limit buyers even more). Also expensive, but doable, is 3D prints from digital artists. The detail/accuracy can vary and you'd also need to get the decals made as well. So, everything is on the table at some point, but it will likely cost a pretty penny.
I'm cool with that, I'll drop a penny if its worth it. But mainly I'm hoping that more resin print manufactures will gear up. I've dabbled in resin casting a decade or two ago, mainly cause I wanted a fleet of Excelsiors and Mirandas from DS9. So I do get it's expensive and takes time. Printing them looks to be a little less messy, faster, and more accurate though. So I'm hoping they come along at some point. I've been seeing kits over at Thingaverse and drooling... I'm wanting an (Ambassador era) Apollo, an Abbe, a Refit Saladin, and a TOS Surya etc... Its got me thinking of trying to get into Resin printing myself just to see how the process works.
An alternative route would be to kitbash some (like the Apollo, Abbe, er al.) and turn to 3D printing for the specific parts that aren’t already commercially available.
paul01
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by paul01 »

I'd also like an
Excelsior II, Reliant, Ross, Sutherland, and Odyssey. But I can definitely live with them being delayed a bit for the others mentioned above.
I'm actually working on the Excelsior II as we speak. I have already completed the Reliant, Ross, Sutherland, Duderstadt, Gagarin, and Pathfinder classes in both 2500 and 1400 scale for a couple of customer orders. I still have the Edison, Echelon and Alita classes to go. I already have the Sagan class completed in both scales, too. All of these were part of the assimilated fleet in Picard season 3.

When they're all completed, I'll create decals for them and announce their availability for purchase.

I was also planning on doing the Odyssey class in both scales if there's enough demand.

I spend approx 2hrs/day working on rendering them. While I think, it'll still be atleast another 3 - 4 months before everything is finished, I'd love to get a show of hands for anyone interested in them...
"It's time to put an end to your 'trek' through the stars and make room for more worthy species"
Dr_Corsa
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Dr_Corsa »

Paul, it's latinum in my ears!

Donyou also have the Protostar? I would order two of them one day and name them Ptorstar and Voyager A, bc I'm really sure, it's the Voyager A and maybe we will see the comformation one day...

Michael
Genuine decals addicted
1/1400 scale modeller
paul01
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by paul01 »

Yes, I can do the Protostar but it will be a small ship, by the way...
"It's time to put an end to your 'trek' through the stars and make room for more worthy species"
Dr_Corsa
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Dr_Corsa »

I krow, its a 189 m ship..around 11-12 cm or so..

Michael
Genuine decals addicted
1/1400 scale modeller

Return to “1/1400”