Atolm's Various Romulan Hawks (Strike, Sun & Night)

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Atolm's Various Romulan Hawks (Strike, Sun & Night)

Postby el gato » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:08 pm

I have no idea what I was doing at the time (most likely researching color schemes for a "Romulan Stormbird," which was the Rommie's variant of the Klingon D7) and I came across Atolm's cool design for what he calls "Romulan Strikehawk":

I totally dig the design, similar to the RBOP but with sweptback wings. I decided to model it in SketchUp. I'll post pics of the drawing later today. Ultimately I wound up with two different versions. First, these were the only pics I had, but what I needed were good orthographic views. Absent them, I had to fudge on the details. Second, I had no idea how big this thing was supposed to be, so I took a guess. For my first try I pinned it to be about half the length of an Excelsior Class, because I wanted it to be from the "Lost Era":

https://www.shapeways.com/product/9EN4JTRED/

You can use the rotating view to look at it from different angles. Once I had it printed and in my grubby paws I saw how tiny it was, I wasn't satisfied. It was rough despite the frosted detail material. I would need to clean it up a bit and make it more presentable. I decided to call it a "scout," because it is really small, probably no more than a deck or two high. Might possibly be a drone. I don't know, stop peppering me with questions! :lol:

I did further digging and found this, which was exactly what I needed:

As you can see, I had many details wrong. The main body is much wider top to bottom. I also missed how flat it was on the ventral side before the center bump. I also found this comparison drawing, which gave me an idea as to its size:

It is roughly the size of a D7. Because my scout ended up being almost as long as a K'Tinga, I went with the longer length. Here is the result:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/8LDQ7LNUC/

It will be almost 4 inches long, almost an inch longer than the scout. It's supposed to be delivered on May 7th. Even with this second go around, it will not be an exact duplicate of Atolm's design. The wings are not as curved inwards, resulting in the nacelles not being in the exact same locations, with longer interconnectors. Still, I think I'll be happier with it. The next draw up will be the sunhawk, which is the gray ship to the left in the comparison drawing.

I changed the title to it since it's grown from just the Strikehawk. I also fixed it to be more compliant with the English Language
Last edited by el gato on Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Silverloc
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: Atolm's Romulan Strikehawk

Postby Silverloc » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:15 pm

Those links don't seem to work

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:58 pm

D'Oh! I'll have to make them available to be viewed public... later... once I figure out how.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Silverloc
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby Silverloc » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:34 pm

I have a few other Romulan designs by Atolm floating around on my computer, I'll have to post them later

Lonewolf
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Lonewolf » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:27 pm

Neat concept!

The warp nacelle arrangement reminds me a bit of the Federation Andor Class Cruiser, with the sweeping wings and the inboard-mounted nacelles.
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:44 pm

Silverloc wrote:I have a few other Romulan designs by Atolm floating around on my computer, I'll have to post them later

Please do!

Lonewolf wrote:The warp nacelle arrangement reminds me a bit of the Federation Andor Class Cruiser, with the sweeping wings and the inboard-mounted nacelles.

I was thinking Larson Class, but yeah Andor fits it better

RogueWolf
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Postby RogueWolf » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:00 am

Looks awesome!
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis

Silverloc
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby Silverloc » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:46 am

ok..from my Romulan folder..the Atolm pictures, though I do have some MadKoi as well but thats for a different thread.

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby kobayashimaru » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:52 am

Did Atolm come up with the Chariot Class originally also?
Forgive me, but for some reason I keep associating "Chariot Class" with "Atolm" - apologies to whoever did design the Chariot Class. :oops:
Atolm's sketches are like Doug Chiang, Ryan Church, or Johnny Eaves - pretty danged neat :D

As to the atolm designs at hand -
its hit, and a little miss. Thanks for sharing - what rock have I been living under, because many of these I've not seen before ever - and they're all awesome. :lol:
When the hits are a hit, whoa - these are better than some of the ships depicted. I could definitely see some of these for a redux of ST:Ent, or fitting in within StarTrek: Starfleet Academy.
For me, where things are a little more 'amiss', and not JJTrek levels of miss, maybe ST:Enterprise level amiss,
is the STOnline-esque influenced designs. in particular, the borg-esque asymmetrical designs, which don't seem to reflect the Romulan aesthetic of beauty or penchant for making bird-influenced sleek symmetrical ships. The asymmetrical stuff seems more fringe/Raider, feringi, or Borg.
Overall, for many STOnline ships, I dislike the color scheme or design palette, its a subjective thing. Most of the designs are far too non-Roddenbury/Not Trek like enough for me, and many fans are of a similar mindset.

That said - would these be awesome to see models of? Sure! I know a lot locally who play Starline 2500 and StarFleet Battles, who LOVE the TOS/TMP "lost era", so that'd be awesome.
I'd like to see the TNG era stuff from these in 1:5000 scale - unfortunately, curves are something of a difficulty locally to print economically at this time, and so it'd be hard to make these.
They do bulk up the Romulan Space Fleet though, and would be great to Stat Up for ST:AW. The TNGesque designs make great alternatives to the '80s curves' of the v19, of the whitewind, whitewing, the harpy, the pteradactyl, the finch, or the winged defender.

Thanks for sharing! :D Stuff like this is what makes AST that level above in terms of awesome -
you always learn something new every time you long onto AST.com

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:50 pm

Silverloc wrote:Image

This is the Sunhawk, which I'm going to try my hand next.

I didn't get a chance to post drawings of my versions of the Strikehawk, but here's a pic I took this morning of the "Scout" version. It is next to the PL D7, K'Tinga and RBOP. The length looks OK, but what is now shown is how thin it is on the z axis

20150423_070049[1].jpg

Return to “1/2500”