Considering a Return to Kit Production

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
tmlindsey
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Considering a Return to Kit Production

Postby tmlindsey » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:50 am

As some of you may know, I have been out of the kit business for over 10 years now for various reasons. I just learned that the new owners where I work are dumping my whole department. No severence, just help us convert operating systems in March/April then GTFO :?

So I am looking at a possible return to kit production for some income. If there is any interest, that is.

I know the arena is a lot wider now than when I was doing 1/2500 kits and I'm really just feeling out if it is worthwhile re-investing in starting back up, even if it is just in a limited way.

I would likely not do any NEW kits due to advancing athritis and failing eyesight (I'm an oooooold man now :lol: ) and I would probably do a run of kits and offer them, rather than make-to-order.

I also have a laser cutter/engraver now (12"x24" bed, 50 watt) if anyone has any suggestions on things I could produce that would fill a need in the modeling world.

Sorry if this sounds "weepy" or whatever. Not trying to get sympathy or anything, just honest feedback to weigh what options I might have.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Sincerely,

Tim L.
TMLindsey.com
(Moderators, if you feel this post is in any way inappropriate, please remove it.)
Tim L.

MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)

Re: Considering a Return to Kit Production

Postby MEATLOAFr » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:09 am

WELCOME BACK!!!!

Looking forward to seeing what you bring back
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby andyh » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:11 am

Wow! yes, yes, yes, yes, and more yesses :)

I would DEFINITLY be interested Tim!

The laser cutter would be perfect for offering a line of vinyl masks (even though there are some producers already offering masks, you could do subjects which aren't currently available)?

Also, what about offering a casting service? I've been doing that myself -since the "Accurate Parts" line was dished out to Federation models and Don's Light and Magic. Now I mold and cast from other peoples master parts in short limited runs.

Whilst 1/2500 used to be your speciality, would you consider mastering larger models? There is a definite interest in 1/350 models now. I know of a few subjects in 1/350 I'd like -ie TOS Romulan BOP, Merchantman from STIII, Defiant.....and I'm sure there are others I can't think of right now. They wouldn't be huge models, but big enough to not have to squint too much whilst making the masters :)

It's really exciting to have you back anyway Tim ;)

Andy.

peted79

Postby peted79 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:44 am

That would be pretty cool, Tim. I am really interested in Some of your nice kits.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:24 pm

Tim, thanks for your post! Regret hearing about the job situation.

I went and took a look around your website tmlindsey.com and was very pleased to see you are offering a Gunstar 1 from "The Last Starfighter!" I now have a new kit to want - but will have to wait to get until funds are available!

If you do go back into production I wish you the best of luck!

Steve

shiftdel
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby shiftdel » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:28 pm

Definitely, yes, Your Stargazer and Pasteur will certainly be welcomed again.

tmlindsey

Postby tmlindsey » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:34 pm

andyh wrote:The laser cutter would be perfect for offering a line of vinyl masks (even though there are some producers already offering masks, you could do subjects which aren't currently available)?

I'm afraid anything vinly is out for a CO2 type laser like mine. It produces a toxic gas that erodes the internal components of the machine. Which was a real disappointment when I found out since I used a lot of Sintra PVC board in my sculpts :(

andyh wrote:Also, what about offering a casting service? I've been doing that myself -since the "Accurate Parts" line was dished out to Federation models and Don's Light and Magic. Now I mold and cast from other peoples master parts in short limited runs.

That's something I hadn't thought about, but the arthritis kind of eliminates that potential. That's why I would do runs of kits and not made-to-order; I can do them as I am able to.

andyh wrote:Whilst 1/2500 used to be your speciality, would you consider mastering larger models? There is a definite interest in 1/350 models now. I know of a few subjects in 1/350 I'd like -ie TOS Romulan BOP, Merchantman from STIII, Defiant.....

It's worth considering. The laser likes flat surfaces and it can etch any design. If the thing was arranged as flat panels the design could be etched on and then the parts assembled.

I'm going to experiment with Styrene soon since I have only cut wood, MDF and acrylic to-date.

andyh wrote:It's really exciting to have you back anyway Tim ;)

Thanks Andy. Not quite back yet though I have been really itching to be creative again.

Tim L.
Tim L.

tmlindsey

Postby tmlindsey » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:37 pm

MEATLOAFr wrote:Looking forward to seeing what you bring back

Hi Meatloafr!

I'll have to start digging into storage and see what is there, but I know I still have the masters for the 1/2500 Olympic Class, Constellation Class and Sidney Class.

My wife would like me to finish the Excelsior but I can't hold the micro drill steady enough to finish the windows :cry:

Tim L.
Last edited by tmlindsey on Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim L.

tmlindsey

Postby tmlindsey » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:45 pm

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:Tim, thanks for your post! Regret hearing about the job situation.

Thanks, Steve. Eleven years apparently means nothing to the new owners but they're doing others dirtier than they're doing me. Welcome to the banking industry!

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:I went and took a look around your website tmlindsey.com and was very pleased to see you are offering a Gunstar 1 from "The Last Starfighter!" I now have a new kit to want - but will have to wait to get until funds are available!

Sorry about the site being incomplete. I was working on it when I got pulled away and hope to launch a new, complete one soon. If I can ever learn the coding for a mobile-friendly site :o

I passed the Gunstar on to a friend of mine (Spaceboy) when he lost his job a few years ago and I'll see if he's still selling it. We talked about re-engineering it to be a bit less complicated. That was a challenging kit to sculpt, to be sure.

Tim L.
Last edited by tmlindsey on Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim L.

tmlindsey

Postby tmlindsey » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:47 pm

shiftdel wrote:Definitely, yes, Your Stargazer and Pasteur will certainly be welcomed again.

Those would certainly be on the rather short kit list :)

Tim L.
Tim L.

Return to “1/2500”