(pic heavy) 5 Scratchbuilds started. 2 Peregrine, 2 Larson and a TMP Miranda

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
Vahmp
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: (pic heavy) 5 Scratchbuilds started. 2 Peregrine, 2 Larson and a TMP Miranda

Postby Vahmp » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:53 pm

Tesral wrote:Agreed on the additions to the Larson. The FASA model was rather dull. (I ended up selling them) The NX style dish is a nice touch.

That's why I saved several different Larson images I liked from the net. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yea, I like this dish more than the standard under slung dish that seemed out of place and made the ship asymmetric. I prefer my ships with more of a symmetric look to them. ;)

I'm still not fond of single nacelle designs.

Well... I guess it's more a matter of taste. lol :lol: :lol: :lol:
Laterz...
Vahmp

mophius
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: (pic heavy) 5 Scratchbuilds started. 2 Peregrine, 2 Larson and a TMP Miranda

Postby mophius » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:06 pm

The hanging deflector always seems out of place.
Except on the Coventry which has hanging nacelles
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur

Vahmp
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Vahmp » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:09 pm

NoKhando wrote:Impressive work . Love old school modeling .

Thank you! :D

What kind of wood are you using for your hulls ? I can't see any grain in it . Is it MDF ?

None... The hull is made of plastic sheet. :)
The only place I used wood, is the nacelle. A wood dowel.

In my youth , (many, many moons ago ) I had a book on building carved wood aircraft .

I also used to build planes like that, many moons ago. lol :lol:

IIRC , the writer used the old style Ink nibs in various widths and permanent inks to do his markings . Personally , I'd draw them onto modern decal paper first , to get it right . It might be a good way of doing one-off windows and suchlike .

Yea.... ALL my windows and markings are done by using that same method. Several different sized and colored markers. Then I spray 2 dull clear coats all over the ship to protect the markings.

The only time I use paints is for the base coat grey (two rattle cans, first prime coat, then light dusting of white, over it, till I get the grey tone I desire.), and Neon Blue rattle spray, for Warp engines on the models that need them.

Decals, I don't have as of yet... But when I get D-paper, I'll print out Names and Registry numbers, IDs ect...
Laterz...
Vahmp

Vahmp
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Vahmp » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:10 pm

mophius wrote:The hanging deflector always seems out of place.
Except on the Coventry which has hanging nacelles

Exactly! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Laterz...
Vahmp

trek3159
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby trek3159 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:18 am

Vahmp, how did you make the impulse deck at the rear? I need to make one for my Larson, but trying to figure out what to make it out of. I tried to cast one off the back of a Connie saucer.....but that didn't come out too well.

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:53 am

Vahmp wrote:
NoKhando wrote:Decals, I don't have as of yet... But when I get D-paper, I'll print out Names and Registry numbers, IDs ect...

Send me a PM, I have more than I can ever use.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Vahmp
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Vahmp » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:23 pm

trek3159 wrote:Vahmp, how did you make the impulse deck at the rear? I need to make one for my Larson, but trying to figure out what to make it out of. I tried to cast one off the back of a Connie saucer.....but that didn't come out too well.

Well... First off ya gota know that ALL the plastics I use for my models are recycled plas... Old Monitors cases, Printer cases, TV cases. I cut the flat parts out, which make great flat sheets. I also find old plastic signs and stuff to use. lol
The plastic I used for the Hull of the ship was 3mm thick... It was the carcass of an old printer (which you can Prolly find laying around the streets on garbage day)
With that said, here we go. :lol: :lol:

The plastic I used for the impulse engine is the same thickness as the main Hull for the Larson, that is 2 decks thick.
I cut the piece in the ruff shape I want, with a pair of medium wire cutters.
Afterwards, I lay a piece of sandpaper flat on my bench, and thin the piece down abit, by sanding it flat. I then round out the sides, by sanding them down, till the shape is right. Then I grab it and sand flat the face that faces back.
And depending on the Hull that it's going on, I shape it with a file, to fit the hull.
I do that with all my TOS ships.
It's pretty easy to make them. ;)

That's it.
Laterz...
Vahmp

Vahmp
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Vahmp » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:24 pm

Tesral wrote:
Vahmp wrote:
NoKhando wrote:Decals, I don't have as of yet... But when I get D-paper, I'll print out Names and Registry numbers, IDs ect...

Send me a PM, I have more than I can ever use.

Ok, will do. :)
Laterz...
Vahmp

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:48 pm

Vahmp wrote:Then I took a very thin piece of plastic from this fone card:

I cut it to size and shape, then used the edge of the back end of my Exacto knife to press into it and shape it into a concaved dish. After, I use a pin for the spire, cut to size and pressed/glued to the ship. Made a hole in the center of the dish with another pin, and placed /glued it into place. ;)

That's it. :lol: :D

Surely it can't be that easy. Are you sure you didn't use witchcraft or something?
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Vahmp
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Vahmp » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:41 am

el gato wrote:
Vahmp wrote:Then I took a very thin piece of plastic from this fone card:
download/file.php?id=7963&t=1
download/file.php?id=7964&t=1

I cut it to size and shape, then used the edge of the back end of my Exacto knife to press into it and shape it into a concaved dish. After, I use a pin for the spire, cut to size and pressed/glued to the ship. Made a hole in the center of the dish with another pin, and placed /glued it into place. ;)

That's it. :lol: :D

Surely it can't be that easy. Are you sure you didn't use witchcraft or something?

Well..... I just told you the Voo-Doo that I Do! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now it's up to you to make that Voo-Doo work for You! :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Laterz...
Vahmp

Return to “1/2500”