Taj' class scout

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Taj' class scout

Post by mophius »

Not quite finished yet but a little run down as to where I am with this one and how I got there.

So Tesral advertised this as his last one and I whipped it out of his grasp. Lovely little Klingon scout in an almost Bird of Prey stance for cruising. (I am unsure if wings are repositionable)
So I started with an etch primer to give the base colour a good hold. (Full-size pics in Mo's Shipyard)
DSC_0036.JPG
DSC_0036.JPG (25.72 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
DSC_0037.JPG
DSC_0037.JPG (25.78 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
So then I cleaned up some edges around the leading and trailing edges of the wings and around the sides of the neck. I also gouged out some Impulse exhaust ports.
DSC_0050.JPG
DSC_0051.JPG
Colour was next. It was a mix of three different greens from the humbrol acrylic range. You could ask which ones and in what proportions but I am still unsure which three it was. It only ended up a touch lighter than my D7 which was a colour straight from the pot.
DSC_0056.JPG
DSC_0055.JPG
Next was some detailing. I treated myself to some new colours from Vallejo, some from the Model Colour range ad some from the Model Air range. I tried out some light green chromate which does stand out nicely with one coat. I will out another on soon to get more clarity on it. Then some red on the top of the bridge dome recess.
DSC_0058.JPG
DSC_0057.JPG
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: Taj' class scout

Post by el gato »

Nicely done with the subtle color change. Was it hard to work with the metal model?
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

Glad to see someone else building one of these!
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius »

el gato wrote:Nicely done with the subtle color change. Was it hard to work with the metal model?
The paint still wants to flake off even after the etch primer. You can see this mainly on the underside where the stand hole is but the nacelles also have some signs of poor adhesion. I am not looking forward to matching the paint colour to patch it up.
The metal was ok to file and shave with the hobby knife. The worst part was gouging the impulse exhausts. I was using the hobby knife to cut around the edges then flicking it out from the inside, well, I broke the tip off the knife so had to make do with what I had at that point.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

Did you thoroughly wash the model before priming and painting it? That might be a part of the problem?
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius »

Wash, yes. Thoroughly, maybe not.
The nacelles are understandable as that is where I hold when painting.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

As a long time metal painter a good primer is a must. I like what you are doing with my little ship.

I don't know if it was the last one out of the mold, but it was the last I had. I do not intend to make more.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius »

Only time I touched metal before was 30 years ago with Warhammer miniatures. I can't even remember if I primed them back then or how they fared after.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

There's a self-etching primer that I use with some resins and 3D printed models. I think it's by dupli-color. I get it at my local automotive store. The cool thing about the self-etching primer is that it is very thin and bonds really well on smooth surfaces. Might be worth looking into
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius »

It was an automotive based etch primer I used although the brand eludes me right now. It went on OK, bubbly at first but then settled flat. I am presuming this is normal for etch primer so that it eats into the metal slightly.

Wing details got another coat of light green chromate and they do look better now.
I just have to decide whether to do the front as a Torp-tube or a deflector and decide on colours accordingly.
DSC_0073.JPG
DSC_0074.JPG

Return to “1/2500”