50x50=2500, 5 B5 (pic heavy)

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
Jason Abbadon
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 50x50=2500, 5 (pic heavy)

Post by Jason Abbadon »

Starblazers (Space Battleship Yamato) kits a the BEST KTS EVER FOR 1:2500 GREEBLES!
I've been telling people this for years- buy a few kits, you won't be disappointed!
They also convert into amazing civillian ships for both Trek and Star Wars universes.

That red ship is the Gwanzie and it's the best damn kit for AA guns ever! It's NOT from Starblazers (Space Battleship Yamato) but is from Gundam.
The kit usually goes for about $5 on HLJ's closeout sales and I use the lower ball gun turrets to trick out Star Wars ships with point defenses.
The kit has ten tiny but nicely detailed ball turrets and is a great kit all on it's own.
Looks like it'd be a nice Romulan design if you take off the big battleship guns.
Maybe a huge asssualt landing craft- the ball turrets pointing vaguely downward would saturate a LZ with withering fire for a clean landing...
Lotta room on those wings for adding a Romulan bird decal and feathers too!

Check ebay- you can find seller's with the big SBY box set of models with all 42 different designs for about $100 shipped!
When was the last time you scored a great sci fi kit for under $2.50?!? Ever?
jkb-1
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by jkb-1 »

Something about the back view of the Gwazine puts me in mind of the Strategic Space Command. Declare it 1/500th and it falls between the Leif Ericson and its shuttle. A lander for the Mars Defence Force, because of its red color.
No Good modeler
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by No Good modeler »

I was actually looking into grabbing a few of those for Christmas. When I was younger I had one or two and I loved them. I'm also thinking about grabbing one of those 1/2700 Star Destroyers.
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

Here's some new goodies I recently received:]
Misc.jpg
Included is the Battlestar Galactica Colonial Movers (seems oversized to me at 277m), the Alien derelict, 3 Corellian Corvettes (Shapeways StarCorpShipyards) and 30 Tie Fighters (Shapeways The Age of Plastic), the last 2 at 1/2700 scale to match the big Star Destroyer.

I've been a little busy with Thanksgiving, Christmas, extra time at the TKD school plus a motorcycle safety course (to get a motorcycle license so I can get a motorcycle!). Still, these will be on the backburner while I try to finish out some earlier multi-build threads. :roll:
Last edited by slawton on Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer
Jason Abbadon
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Jason Abbadon »

Those look great! I've always had a soft spot for the Colonial Movers ship.
I think it'd look great as a Star Wars ship- just swap the fonts to Aurbesh (SW common font) and it'll blend in nicely.
(Maybe give her some guns for defense too)
jkb-1
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by jkb-1 »

How big is the Colonial Movers? Those boxcars on it, are the Earth boxcar size? I think semi-truck trailers are shipped by train two to a flatcar. Those trailers are marked 53 feet long on their forward corner, that's 16m, 32m for a flatcar/boxcar, 64 for the two sets on the ship, and maybe twice that for the spaceship parts of it, so about 128m?

There's an sf shot of it passing in front of the Galactica, and it's shorter than the hangar pod, however long that is.

The left Corellian is different, but are the right two the same?
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

jkb-1 wrote:How big is the Colonial Movers? Those boxcars on it, are the Earth boxcar size? I think semi-truck trailers are shipped by train two to a flatcar. Those trailers are marked 53 feet long on their forward corner, that's 16m, 32m for a flatcar/boxcar, 64 for the two sets on the ship, and maybe twice that for the spaceship parts of it, so about 128m?

There's an sf shot of it passing in front of the Galactica, and it's shorter than the hangar pod, however long that is.
Those containers are not meant to be boxcar nor tractor trailer sized. The original model built in 1977/78 wasn’t built to any specific scale, and the VFX guys shot most of the models in the scenes separately. This gave us scenes where ships looked different sizes in diffeeent scenes - sorta like how the Defiant, KBoP and other ships changed sizes during the run of DS9.

The 277m mentioned was derived by Lee Stringer who worked as a supervisor at ZOIC Studios on the Firefly series, then later on the BSG Miniseries in 2003 thru the First Season of the series. IIRC, it was the best compromise he had at establishing a length of the TOS CM. He did that because that were establishing lengths for each ship so that the VFX shots weren’t randomized in different shots.

BTW, bit of trivia - those containers were reefer trailers from some model kits available at the time. I want to say they were 1/16 scale?
The left Corellian is different, but are the right two the same?
The one on the left is what’s often referred to as the Prototype Corellian Blockade Runner. It’s also the original configuration of the Milkenium Falcon during pre-production artwork. It was going to be a much smaller ship, as that cone in front was to be the same size as the full-sized set piece we first see in Star Wars: A New Hope.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
Jason Abbadon
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Jason Abbadon »

The Milkenium Falcon is the best typo of the week.
I'm picturing the Falcon in white with cow spots and Han in a milkman uniform with his blaster...

The Colonial Movers ship would be a LOT cooler if you replaced the obvious railroad card with something more high tech.
Ravenstar made a kit called the Sunbear that has great sci fi containers that would work nicely in this.
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

I'm changing the theme of this thread from 5th Dimension (non-Trek) to Babylon 5 ships.

Sorry for any confusion. :?

Introduction
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

Here's some recently printed out marcnoonan-supplied B5 ships on deck (I'm guessing the sprues bent due to heating/cooling of the printing/cleanup process):
B5.jpg
Includes Earth Alliance (Starfury, Thunderbolt, Atmospheric Shuttle, Crew Shuttle & Raiders), Minbari (Nial Fighter & Lintiri Flyer), Vorlon Fighter (petals open/closed), Shadow Fighter, Narn Fighter, Drazi Sky Serpent and Drakh Fighter.

Introduction

Return to “1/2500”