There will be damage!!!

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
No Good modeler
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

There will be damage!!!

Postby No Good modeler » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:37 am

Nothing sucks as bad as a holiday move, rummaging through your belongings last minute in an effort to weed out those items you just don't need to bring to a new home, all 2 weeks before Christmas.
There are several upsides to this packing frenzy. One is relocating from a 800 square foot apt to a 2200 square foot home (where I can actually have a work station) and the other is pulling out and admiring all of your completed 1/2500 scale beaut's (as well as a few other scales).
The downside however is that I know for a fact that no matter how carefully I pack these babies up, some are going to be damaged in the move. :?
Attachments
20171212_195837-1-1.jpg

Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Re: There will be damage!!!

Postby Del » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:54 am

I pack up display kits and take them to events whenever I have a vendor table, and most of the time they arrive to-and-fro with little damage. If you're moving across town and have more than just one day to move, then perhaps you can package them lightly with bubble wrap, gently placing them in a box without pushing them down too much. Transport those boxes in a separate trip so you don't accidently stack something heavy on top.

I moved across town from one house to another in April, and the only broken kit was the wingtip guns on the TIE Defender, and that was from the wife stacking a model on top of it when she was *helping* me. You should be okay if you take your time with packing and unpacking, and resist the urge to cram as many in a box as will fit.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Producing kits previously sold thru Ravenstar, Novahobbies, Fantastic Plastic, NorthTrek Creations, and more!

WarpNein
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby WarpNein » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:11 am

Wow. That's a hell of a pile. Congratulations on the new space, hopefully some of it will be reserved for the fleet to spread out.

No Good modeler
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby No Good modeler » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 am

Del wrote:I pack up display kits and take them to events whenever I have a vendor table, and most of the time they arrive to-and-fro with little damage. If you're moving across town and have more than just one day to move, then perhaps you can package them lightly with bubble wrap, gently placing them in a box without pushing them down too much. Transport those boxes in a separate trip so you don't accidently stack something heavy on top.

I moved across town from one house to another in April, and the only broken kit was the wingtip guns on the TIE Defender, and that was from the wife stacking a model on top of it when she was *helping* me. You should be okay if you take your time with packing and unpacking, and resist the urge to cram as many in a box as will fit.

Yeah Del, luckily the move isn't as long and far as the last one, that move took a 2 and a half hour drive and it ended up breaking a few models.
I was thinking of placing my box full of individually wrapped models buckled up in my front seat for the 30 mile drive. :D

WarpNein wrote:Wow. That's a hell of a pile. Congratulations on the new space, hopefully some of it will be reserved for the fleet to spread out.

That's the plan, hopefully the wife well let me display some of these guys somewhere in the house, but at leaSt I'll have space to work now.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:13 am

That's a nice pile of ships! Congrats! <<takes notes on a couple of Excelsior kitbashes>>
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:40 pm

Nice collection. Looks like the DVD bin at Wallmart. Like others have said if you can drive them over yourself you should.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

NoKhando
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby NoKhando » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:51 pm

There used to be a Model soldier dealer who packed his orders in discount store rice crispies . Quite a clever idea , as they work like those polystyrene peanuts only smaller and finer .

You'll also have something to live on until the kitchen contents show up .

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:00 pm

NoKhando wrote:There used to be a Model soldier dealer who packed his orders in discount store rice crispies . Quite a clever idea , as they work like those polystyrene peanuts only smaller and finer .

You'll also have something to live on until the kitchen contents show up .

There is no food in this food.

Having bought bubblewrap to the shock of my wallet I get where that is coming from.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)

Postby MEATLOAFr » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:55 pm

No Good modeler wrote:The downside however is that I know for a fact that no matter how carefully I pack these babies up, some are going to be damaged in the move. :?

All the reason to get some more
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

No Good modeler
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby No Good modeler » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:44 pm

Whelp, I know you were all concerned so I figured I would update you..... There was no damage in the move!! :)

Return to “1/2500”