Official tales of woe / pick-me-up thread

Discuss all non Star Trek related topics here.
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Official tales of woe / pick-me-up thread

Post by Xen »

For various reasons, this time of year always seems to be hard for people. With that in mind, I thought a thread sharing woes and getting some positive thoughts sent your way might be helpful. On the flip side, folks could also share uplifting/amusing anecdotes, jokes, pics etc, to cheer up those dealing with varying degrees of hardship.

I'd like to start by wishing every member of AST good health, good luck and good times. Some of you I know better than others, but it is my own belief (not suggesting this is right/wrong) positive thoughts can make a difference. As clique as it is, you're not alone and I hope this little oasis provides a pleasant distraction.

Disclaimer: Try your best to adhere to rule one. Especially when it comes to politics and religion.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: Official tales of woe / pick-me-up thread

Post by Moongrim »

Well 11 months ago I discovered that I had a "Pulmonary Saddle Embolism". I discovered this the hard way: Heart Attack. After about 3 days, I decided to get some help from the hospital. I managed to get a rotating cat scan and that's when I was told what the problem was. And after the ER doc got done chewing me out, was when I was told that PSE's (of the size that was in me) were usually found after an autopsy.

I'm doing much better now. And am on blood thinners, and my clot(s) are doing far far better. I'm also happy that Oregon opened up their healthcare exchanges long before the ACA came out. Otherwise, my finances would've been totally hosed for years to come. Or the missus would've been paying the bills off from my life insurance.
:mrgreen:
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by RogueWolf »

Ages ago when I was in my late teens, I was at a dance. A cute blond girl was standing with her friends near our table. When I caught her eye, I asked her, "So Whats your excuse?"
"Excuse for what?" she replied.
"Excuse for not sitting on my lap." I replied.

Went out with her for three months! My wing men couldn't beleive that the line worked.

Ohhhh, you meant "Pick-me-up" as in cheer-me-up story.

Oops. :lol:
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by zookman »

i gotta remember that lol see if it works or how many times i get slapped lol
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

oh the woe's

reformatted computer thanksgiving, still recovering from that

court on Tuesday, now state is taking well over a third of my income (and I've only had the job for 3 weeks now, unemployed for 2 months) for child support... and we're not even divorced , or plan on getting divorced (just need time apart) -

The state just decided that I should pay, and months after another agency had already required me to pay what ever we both had agreed to was fine. She gets all of the states benefits, medicare, food assistance, daycare... but I can't get anything, couldn't even get unemployment when I was unemployed (that's another rant in-itself)

I am not one of those deadbeat fathers, I quit my job for a few month when my daughter was born to help raise her (as my wife makes more than I ever will without finishing my own education). I went back to work as soon as we found good daycare, but finding good work in my area is extremely hard... and my work history "type casts" me into a specific field that I no longer want, but am forced to take for money (yes... it makes me a money !!!!!!!!).

Her monthly household income is AT LEAST twice mine (she is living with her sister), and they both are going to college classes so they get a reimbursement check every 3 months that is over a grand each,
Now how is that fair?

And there is nothing legally I can do... believe me I have talked to to many lawyers in the past week.

I hate my state, I could have killed a cop and gotten off better.

I could go on and say more, but I'm getting hungry and I need a sandwich
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen »

Ouch. Meatloafr and Moongrim, I wish you both better.

Thanks for the pick up, pick-me-up Mick. ;)
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Professionally this has been a horrible year for me. Things have gotten better for me there, and my personal life has been excellent. I don't want to say things are perfect because that's usually when life takes you out in a horrible, usually painful, way. Not that I'm afraid of dying per se, but I have a lot of models to build and I'd be disappointed if I make it to the after life knowing they were left unbuilt. So I'll just say my life sucks because one of my toe nails split.

For those having tougher times than me, concentrate on the things that matter, take time to build a model (or two), clear your head and trust that things will get better.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Upbeat.

Mine wife and I managed to pay off our credit card bills this year (Don't ask how much.)

My enthickened blood is under control. My autistic daughter is off on her own (Yay! Mommy and Daddy have privacy again.) (Privacy, what's that?).

Ambivalent. Due to the recent freeze (-10 F in Oregon) all of the outdoor kitties have decided they're indoor kitties. Meaning they've finally figured out the mechanics of using the cat flaps. Now, few want to go out despite warmer temperatures.
I've got a Cat House.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen »

Moongrim wrote:I've got a Cat House.
Your story about the cats reminded me of a song and certain lyrics by Prince. However, the time of year and my own forum rules prevent me from unleashing such potentially distasteful humor. :innocent:
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Well now that the Daffodils and Skunk Cabbage are blooming, some of the indoor kitties are remember what the outside is.
But along with the last snowfall I now have an apple tree to saw and chop up, and repair the fence it fell upon. I (foolishly) mentioned out loud during the last power outage it'd be nice to have firewood to feed into the fireplace- and voila! I got some firewood now.
- J.L.Picard.

Return to “Off Topic”