Here There Be Tholians

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Here There Be Tholians

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

kobayashimaru wrote: or worse, borgified tholian web-spinny stuff. :lol:
that's all that's missing, a web-spinning part hehe.
Your command of Technical Terminology is truly staggering, kobayashi!! :lol: :lol:

Steve
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

:lol:

An updated pic.

Tholians006.JPG
The Jem'hadar fighter in this pic is one I got from... someone something like 10 years ago. I have no clue who produced it, tho it is almost exactly 1/1000 scale.

More to come.
Last edited by Griffworks on Sun May 27, 2018 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
TrekMD
Head of Starfleet Medical

Post by TrekMD »

Nice!
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

I'm going to have to pick up some of those Tholian Web Spinners from FedMod. They're a nice for 2500 "cruiser" :P

The Battlecruiser is certainly an Atolm design.

Interesting factoid Erin from UGH! told me about the 72 Webspinner. Pat mastered only one part, designing it so that you create an entire spinner when you cast three parts off of it and put them together. UGH! plans on re-releasing it at some point, which will be part of my 1/72 collection.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

el gato wrote:I'm going to have to pick up some of those Tholian Web Spinners from FedMod. They're a nice for 2500 "cruiser" :P
That's why I initially bought mine, yep. :thumbsup:
The Battlecruiser is certainly an Atolm design.
It is indeed! As is the Ivarix Romulan Cruiser, IIRC.
Interesting factoid Erin from UGH! told me about the 72 Webspinner. Pat mastered only one part, designing it so that you create an entire spinner when you cast three parts off of it and put them together. UGH! plans on re-releasing it at some point, which will be part of my 1/72 collection.
Yeppers.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

Necro-thread raising! :D

Looking for opinions: I’ve got several 1/1000 Tholian ships that I intend to start giving a base coat. I was leaning towards gun metal or something similar as a base and sussing out the rest of the colors from there.
Tholians003.JPG
On the left is UGH! Models Tholian Battlecruiser. On the right is an older 1/72 scale Tholian cruiser from ENT’s first season, and fourth season. I’ve “converted” the latter to be what I’m calling a dreadnought.
Tholians007.JPG
Smaller Tholian “cruisers”(?), from left to right: Federation Models 1/1000 ENT, middle is TOS “The Tholian Web” cruiser from UGH! Models, far right is what was labeled a 1/1000 Tholian cruiser based of off “The Tholian Web”.

Any input is appreciated.
Last edited by Griffworks on Sun May 27, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Flickr Albums
Kratok
Perhaps today IS a good day to model

Post by Kratok »

Looks good, Griff.

Really like the 1:72 kit, and agree that it fits in well here as a dreadnought/battleship.

As to colors, no real suggestion. Most of what I have seen recently leans toward silvers and blues. Not sure where I picked up the original visual concept, but in my mind I have always seen Tholians with a metallic copper-hued hull, and orange-ish glowy bits.

Been years....May have to go back and watch The Tholian Web episode. Maybe that is where I picked it up....

Anyway, keep us posted on your progress. Don't see much in the way of Tholians on the few boards that I frequent.
TrekMD

Post by TrekMD »

Looking nice!
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...
NoKhando
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by NoKhando »

Kratok wrote:In my mind I have always seen Tholians with a metallic copper-hued hull, and orange-ish glowy bits.

Been years....May have to go back and watch The Tholian Web episode. Maybe that is where I picked it up....
Several decades ago I had some gaming miniatures painted copper with green details. I wonder if that came from a Starfleet Battles painting guide ?

Edit : Yes it did ! https://www.starfleetgames.com/minis/THN ... _Guide.pdf
Kratok

Post by Kratok »

NoKhando wrote:
Kratok wrote:In my mind I have always seen Tholians with a metallic copper-hued hull, and orange-ish glowy bits.

Several decades ago I had some gaming miniatures painted copper with green details. I wonder if that came from a Starfleet Battles painting guide ?

Edit : Yes it did ! https://www.starfleetgames.com/minis/THN ... _Guide.pdf
Sweet! That's probably where I got the idea as well. I think gaming minis were the only Tholians I ever had, so that makes sense. Thanks!

Return to “1/1000”