AMT/Round 2 1/537 Refit Enterprise

Manufacturers, retailers and general resources.
MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

AMT/Round 2 1/537 Refit Enterprise

Post by MadManMUC »

It's baaaaaaack.

Here's the word from CultTVman (bold emphasis my own):
CultTVman website wrote:The Refit Enterprise – this is the old AMT 1:537 scale kit. It was originally produced in 1980 when Star Trek The Motion Picture came out. The kit was reissued for each Trek movie up through Star Trek VI, and was also issued with lights and sound. The original issue had a smooth hull, but the tooling was later modified with etched panel lines. This reissue will still have the panel lines. More info when it is available.
Whilst I'm happy to know it's being re-issued (because I want one next to my Reliant), it boggles the mind why R2 can't simply create a new one entirely, sans panel lines, etc. Surely there must be demand for a high quality Refit at this scale, even if it costs a bit extra (versus a simple re-issue of the old one).

In any case, he's reporting early 2018 as the release date.

Looks like putty manufacturers and after-market parts makers are going to be making a bit of money next year.

Here's the link (the old Vor'Cha is being re-released, too): https://culttvman.com/main/new-box-art-from-round-2-2/
Last edited by MadManMUC on Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
DANGER. SPACE DOORS ARE CLOSED.

"I saw it done on Discovery" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
(With apologies to Tesral for nicking his sig. :mrgreen: )
Kremin
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: AMT/Round 2 1/537 Refit Enterprise

Post by Kremin »

WooHooo
:angelbanana: :dancingbanana: :dreadsbanana: :blondebanana: :ninjabanana: :tuxbanana: :guitarbanana: :rockbanana:
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

MadManMUC wrote:It's baaaaaaack.

Here's the word from CultTVman (bold emphasis my own):
CultTVman website wrote:The Refit Enterprise – this is the old AMT 1:537 scale kit. It was originally produced in 1980 when Star Trek The Motion Picture came out. The kit was reissued for each Trek movie up through Star Trek VI, and was also issued with lights and sound. The original issue had a smooth hull, but the tooling was later modified with etched panel lines. This reissue will still have the panel lines. More info when it is available.
Whilst I'm happy to know it's being re-issued (because I want one next to my Reliant), it boggles the mind why R2 can't simply create a new one entirely, sans panel lines, etc. Surely there must be demand for a high quality Refit at this scale, even if it costs a bit extra (versus a simple re-issue of the old one).
The molds are the most expensive part, on the order of a million bucks at times. Going back to smoothie would be hideously expensive.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Not to mention that it's virtually pain free for R2. There are no start up costs as the molds are already made. Sure there will be marketing costs, box art work and some other things to take care of to prep up for the release (new decal sheets, maybe), but there is virtually no up front investment. Any money that they make from sales is almost pure profit.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Max Nex
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Max Nex »

I sure hope they re-do the decals ; the original AMT ones were crap AND THE WRONG SIZE !
MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by MadManMUC »

Max Nex wrote:I sure hope they re-do the decals ; the original AMT ones were crap AND THE WRONG SIZE !
I definitely remember the docking port decals being too small, the first time I built one after STII/III at 10 years old.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

If we're on "wish mode" for the new release, I hope they re-engineer the pylon/engineering hull connection. One zephyr and you're looking at a 50/50 chance of having a complete model afterwards
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Greyryder »

el gato wrote:One zephyr and you're looking at a 50/50 chance of having a complete model afterwards
What have you been doing to aggravate the Tenno?
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Greyryder wrote:
el gato wrote:One zephyr and you're looking at a 50/50 chance of having a complete model afterwards
What have you been doing to aggravate the Tenno?
I was thinking more along the lines of an underappreciated song
MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by MadManMUC »

So I emailed Paul over at Paragrafix a couple of weeks ago about the possibility of getting photoetch parts for this kit, and here's his reply:
Paul@Paragrafix wrote: Yes, I will be doing a photoetch set for this kit soon. I have a few other projects ahead of it in the queue.
Woo-hoo! :mrgreen:

Return to “Links”