1/2700 Imperial Star Destroyer

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

1/2700 Imperial Star Destroyer

Post by slawton »

Has anyone seen this model? What do you think about it?

I've also got some questions about other kits -- like what is the scale of Space 1999 Moonbase Alpha (1/1800, 1/3200, other)? To me, it would depend on the length of the Eagle (therefore landing pad and by extension the entire base), but that is not been determined definitively (yet another controversial size debate).

DS9 (1/2500, 1/3300, mixture, other)? I've heard that it depends on the ships parked next to it - Defiant looks ok for 1/2500, but Galaxy others way too large. I've also heard the rings themselves are different scales.
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer
WarpNein
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: 1/2700 Imperial Star Destroyer

Post by WarpNein »

I've seen the Zvezda in a model shop by my office. It's a nice looking kit, but I already have the Anigrand 2256 kits and the 2256 Venator sitting in my queue.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

On the DS9, the inner ring is 2500. The outer rings are off, much smaller than they should be at 2500. So it is said that the model as a whole is 3300 as an average of the inner and outer ring scales.

Of course, that also depends on how big you think DS9 is, since its size was adjusted between its initial conception and production
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
WarpNein
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by WarpNein »

el gato wrote:On the DS9, the inner ring is 2500. The outer rings are off, much smaller than they should be at 2500. So it is said that the model as a whole is 3300 as an average of the inner and outer ring scales.

Of course, that also depends on how big you think DS9 is, since its size was adjusted between its initial conception and production
Weird, I'd never heard that. I really want to get DS9 so I have somewhere to park the fleet. Just looking at the dimensions of the kit it would come out to around 3400 feet, a little over a kilometer which seems to match the majority of onscreen evidence. What was your experience with it?
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

There are a couple of threads here on AST where we explore the DS9 dimensions. Someone was going to attempt at making the outer rings a true 2500. Don't know how far they got
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

I have the kit but have not looked closely at it - here's the rings:
IMG_1143[1].jpg
The inner one has a diameter of ~6 1/2 inches and the outer ~16 inches (making it ~1km diameter at 1/2500 scale). Here's a schematic image:
A quick eyeball of the model versus the schematic to me does not seem like the inner/outer rings are far off scaling with respect to each-other. Does anyone have a link to where this discrepancy is discussed?

Here's a couple of threads on the topic from AST: Visually, the station (like Defiant, etc.) suffered from size variation comparisons from one scene to the next. From Memory Alpha:
Rick Sternbach's drawings for a four-foot miniature (six-foot as built) specify a scale of 70 feet to an inch, resulting in a conceptual diameter of roughly 3,360 feet (1,024 meters). The visual effects department used 5,280 feet (precisely one mile or 1,609 meters). For Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Technical Manual, Sternbach compromised at 1,451.82 meters (4,763.19 feet), although the new size matches only Doug Drexler's images of the exterior in the book, not his cutaways which depict a smaller station.
I'm not sure what I'll do as far as size, but it would be nice to light. Unfortunately I don't have the fiber optic or clear version of the kit. Still, it's far off on the horizon so there's time to work things out.

Introduction
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Close.
ds9.png
ds9.png (422.3 KiB) Viewed 2053 times
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

Thanks Tesral for doing the overlap comparison. My model picture was not precisely placed square overhead, so I think the bottom right is distorted slightly larger. However, it does show that the model is pretty close to the schematic - I don't see the outer ring being moved out 1 or more inches (~4 1/2 for 1609m diameter or 3+ inches for 1451m diameter) and being accurate.

So assuming the schematic is correct, the model looks like a fair representation of the DS9 at 1/2500 scale if you use the ~1000m diameter size. This would compare favorably with smaller (Excelsior-sized or less) 1/2500 scale models with regard to screenshots, but not so well with larger ships.

Introduction
TonyG2
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by TonyG2 »

Revell are re-issuing the 1/2700 Star Destroyer which might make it easier to find.

Not necessarily cheaper though.

Hannants in the UK list it in stock at £89.99 plus postage
Jason Abbadon
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Jason Abbadon »

WarpNein wrote:I've seen the Zvezda in a model shop by my office. It's a nice looking kit, but I already have the Anigrand 2256 kits and the 2256 Venator sitting in my queue.
Sweet! G got anything else in 1:2256?
I've built the Lancer, Tartan, Carrick, Strike Cruiser, Dornean Gunships, Correllian gunship and a couple dozen tiny starfighters of all sorts.

Return to “1/2500”