1/1400 Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector Spaceship - Pegasus Hobby

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: 1/1400 Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector Spaceship - Pegasus Hobby

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:32 pm

Good Day, Fellow Modelers!

Moongrim! Dude, you are on fire with the witticisms!! :D

Moongrim wrote:Blond resistor? :shock:

Not too many folks are capable of resisting a blond!

Good thing I married one or I would need a resistor! :lol:

Moongrim wrote:Now when it comes to shutting down a neutron reactor- 1st question- do you have any Red Tape? Cause that stuff slows EVERYTHING down.

:lol: :lol:

Gwen DeMarco: "It always stops at one on the show!" :lol:

I was able to put in some time on the bench and, while it may not look like much, it involved a pretty good learning curve, so yeah. ;D

I expected the fiber optic to be more, I dunno, flexible than it is! Its almost like the stuff I put in my weedwacker to trim the lawn! I noticed the fiber bent toward the heat so I used my soldering iron to form the fiber. I held the tip near the fiber until it drooped in the direction I wanted it to go. Be gentle, this is my first fiber run. :) I managed to run it to the engine pods and place it through the hole. I do need to secure the inside wire with something - Elmer's or something reflective?!

Image20170327_222631

Once I had done the fiber run on both wings, I turned my attention to the windows on the wings. I didn't want to just leave them open, so I turned once again to adding some 0.010mm styrene strips to the interior but, as the wing closes to a feather edge, I had to grind away some the hull, and the light blocking, to make room for the styrene. But the theory works and here is a shot with it blue taped in place.

Image20170331_080959

So I took off the strip styrene and, after masking out the rest of the wing, I reapplied the light blocking paint to the inside of the wing. While that dried, I used a small round bur to open up the lights on the ventral chillers. They looks a little uneven, so I ground away some the acrylic to even them out.

Image20170401_104100

Then, my wings caught a case of the foils; its sorta like shingles but shinier. :roll: Since I had some foil duct tape on hand and used it to mask out some light leaks where I had ground off the orientation pins. Then I placed the strip styrene over the windows. It seems to produce the desired effect, so, yeay!

Image20170401_153011

I am very close to putting this all together! I have to connect all the blinking fiber lights and test the board the another builder sent to me. I’m gonna have to make a base soon just to support the ship so I can paint it after it is assembled, but one step at a time!

Thanks for reading and commenting! Any suggestions for improvement are always appreciated!

Steve
Last edited by MSgtUSAFRet on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:55 pm

Felicitations, Fellow Questarians!

I realized I had not shown you the end result of the thin styrene and all the light blocking on the wing.

Image20170403_054649

The wing will still close. I tapered the edge of the styrene to allow the outside seam to touch before I glued the styrene in. Either I am getting better at blocking things out or random chance seems to operate in my favor! ;D

So, I thought I was ready to put it together when I realized I hadn't put on the Ventral running light. Using one of the 603SMDs I got from HDA, I hot glued it down and then used CA to attach a short FO strand to the SMD and the other end out the hole. What isn't shown is that, after the glue was dry, I covered both ends with Tulip paint and tested it! It works!

Image20170406_182716

It's slowly starting to take it's shape. I was able to hook up the blinky board from Tankton (Cameron) and squealed like a little girl when my formation and running lights sprang to life! I have really got to learn how to build my own! (AWESOME!!)

At least the ship is stepping closer; it actually looks like the Protector!!

Image20170406_054401

I'm hoping to get more done this weekend. I'm still trying to suss out how to solder all the connections while placing the model pieces together in their predetermined order and glue them shut. I almost need four more hands, smaller ones than I've got, and more precision tools than what I have! BUT, NEVER GIVE UP!

I will master this beasty and you all will see me do it! (Says the guy who is half-way down its throat!)

Jason Nesmith: Okey dokey, Okey dokey. Lets fire blue particle cannons full, red particle cannons full, gannet magnets fire them left and right, and let 'em run all chutes. And while you're at it, why don't ya toss that at 'em killer

[tossing empty Coke can to gunner]

Jason Nesmith: That should take care of old lobster head shouldn't it?

Steve
Last edited by MSgtUSAFRet on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:11 pm

Good Monday morning to you, Fellow Questarians!!

I hope you had a productive weekend!

I made some significant gains on my build! Woohoo! I took a deep breath and seated the dorsal of the ventral primary hull. This allowed me to route the blinky board and the primary power wires through to the wings!

Image20170407_212921

Once that was done, I popped the hood (kinda looks like it, doesn't it?!) and soldered the lower section of the ventral primary hull to the main power and routed the blinky light's wires. This was a little more difficult due to the hair-thin wires from the SMD; I was very timid about touching, much less soldering, them as I didn't know how much abuse they could take before breaking. AAAaaaggaah!

Image20170408_192607

Anyway, I gently pushed the piece into place and, while I glued it down, I did a light test to see if I had broken a contact! Thankfully, I hadn't! It kind looks like "Attack of the Chompers!"

(Gwen DeMarco: "What is this thing? I mean, it serves no useful purpose for there to be a bunch of chompy, crushy things here!")

Image20170409_080045

Looks like the crew repelled the Chompers! I twisted up and soldered the blinky board wires to the two-pronged connector so I could thread it through the display rod!

Image20170409_143520

Since I was on a roll, I added the Port wing as well. It was kinda difficult to cut the wires down, solder them and then stuff them back in the Bussard collectors. I still need to solder the lower wing to the upper, but that will have to wait until the glue dries. I'm trying to leave them alone to let the glue set to it's final bonding strength!

Image20170409_164828

It's starting to take shape! Finally! But, now that I have placed one wing, the other shouldn't be too hard! Once I get the primary build done, I will have to mess with the fiddlybits and place them on the ship! The CM is presenting a bit of a nuisance as the masking fluid won't adhere to the acrylic long enough to allow me to cut or shape it into neat squares. Maybe I am using it wrong, so I will keep trying!

Thanks as always for looking and commenting! Please let me know what you think!

Jason Nesmith: 'Cause it's on the television show!

Gwen DeMarco: "No, I mean we shouldn't have to do this, it makes no logical sense, why is it here? This episode was badly written! Whoever wrote this episode should die!

Steve
Last edited by MSgtUSAFRet on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:08 pm

Greetings Fellow Builders!

I hope you had a great Easter Holiday! Mine was a long weekend that involved A LOT of driving, seeing relatives and driving! Oh! Did I mention there was A LOT of driving?! There was! :D

Last time on "The NSEA Protector Build Chronicles", I attached the Port wing to the Protector. After I soldered all the wires to the primary power conduit (I have always wanted to say that!), I did yet another light test! It is a tease of things to come and I am loving it! I also see a bunch of seam work in my future, but, hey, at least I am making progress. :D

Image20170417_174942

Then I set about attaching the Dorsal Wing. I soldered the power wires and the Fiber Optic power wires to the wing formation lights. I have yet to hook up the lights in the ventral of the wing because I wanted to button it up first.

Image20170417_191505

Which I did. It still looks like an episode that could be titled "Attack of the Chompers!" I had a little trouble getting the seams to meet so we will see how much seam work I have on that wing once I remove the clamps.

Image20170420_192038

All in all, this is finally moving on to the seam and paint stage. I admit I am a little gun shy about the CM. I have tried several times to apply masking fluid to the windows only to have the masking slide right off when I went to cut and shape the masking. Gonna try and wash it again to see if it is just separating fluid still on the acrylic. I think I will use my wife's artist masking fluid. If that doesn't work, I may paint it and then scratch the paint off the windows. Not my first choice but gotta do sumpthin! ;D

As always thanks for following along and for any and all comments!

Never Give Up! Never Surrender!

Steve
Last edited by MSgtUSAFRet on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:53 pm

MSgtUSAFRet wrote: I admit I am a little gun shy about the CM. I have tried several times to apply masking fluid to the windows only to have the masking slide right off when I went to cut and shape the masking. Gonna try and wash it again to see if it is just separating fluid still on the acrylic. I think I will use my wife's artist masking fluid. If that doesn't work, I may paint it and then scratch the paint off the windows. Not my first choice but gotta do sumpthin!
Steve

You know you might want to consider masking the windows with tape. Do you have the Tamiya tape? The windows are the long narrow slotted variety like the ones on the Enterprise D. They have rounded ends which makes it tricky to cut the masking tape and get perfectly rounded ends. What you can do though is buy a small nail set like the one in this picture; they come in various sizes:
Nail Set.jpg
Nail Set.jpg (44.5 KiB) Viewed 494 times

Place the tape down on a vinyl cutting mat and rub it down nice and tight. Then use the tool to punch out small circles of masking tape. I usually just press the tool down hard on the tape and twist back and forth a few times. Then use your tweezers to lift the tape off the mat before placing one circle in each end of the window slot. Then lay another piece of rectangular tape cut to match the width of the window and laid along the length of the window overlapping the circles at each end.

May sound like a lot of work but after some practice it really goes rather quickly. After all the taping is done take a small brush and brush on some Future clear acrylic over each window. It will seal the edges and prevent paint bleed underneath your tape layers.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:02 pm

Trekriffic, Thanks for the method and tip! I hadn't thought of using a nail set to create small masks. I have been experimenting with artist's masking fluid. I used it on my TOS Romulan BoP build with very good results. As you can see, I've applied some to the CM. I'm gonna let it try and see how it takes to shaping it with an exacto knife.

I seem to be having a problem with the NSEA Protector! I have tried gluing the Port wings together and found that each time I released the clamps, it literally popped open at the seam. I did determine that a resistor was resting on a fiber run and that was preventing it from closing.

Once I moved that out of the way, it went together well enough but the glue I used (recommended by the model maker - Tamiya extra thin cement or Testors plastic cement (red tube)) has not done the job. I tried one more time to seal it up, but if it doesn't work, I will try the liquid epoxy from the hardware store.

Failing that, any other suggestions?

Steve

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:28 pm

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:Failing that, any other suggestions?

Steve

If your seams keep popping and you don't want to have to redo your wiring/fiber runs to relieve the impingements causing the problem you could try screwing the wings together. My local hobby store sells these really small screw sets; I think they are used by model railroaders. Drill a small countersunk hole (slightly smaller then the screw thread diameter) thru from the outside where the female "socket" sits on the inside of the wing and then drill a matching hole in the "peg" that mates with the "socket". Once you are done gluing and clamping use a small screwdriver to screw thru into the peg from the socket side. It should tighten things down and alleviate your problem. Make sure the countersinking is deep enough so the head of your screw is below the rim of the hole so you can putty and sand smooth afterward. You might need to install two or three of these screws in each wing.If the screw is too long and wants to go thru the other side you can cut the threaded end off flush with a dremel before or even after screwing it in. Putty is your friend in these circumstances.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:34 pm

Trekriffic, that is definitely a consideration!

I tried again with the stuff I have on hand last night. I checked it again and found a majority of the wing was fused nicely. So I tried to get the rest of it done. I may stop by LHS and pick up some alternate stuff tonight, ya know, just in case.

A poster on one of the other forums suggested Taimya 87137 is designed for ABS (http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/ ... /index.htm). If the wing isn't fused when I check it tonight, I may run out an pick this and some screws up from the LHS.

Thanks as always for your advice and suggestions!

Steve

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:54 pm

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:Trekriffic, that is definitely a consideration!

I tried again with the stuff I have on hand last night. I checked it again and found a majority of the wing was fused nicely. So I tried to get the rest of it done. I may stop by LHS and pick up some alternate stuff tonight, ya know, just in case.

A poster on one of the other forums suggested Taimya 87137 is designed for ABS (http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/ ... /index.htm). If the wing isn't fused when I check it tonight, I may run out an pick this and some screws up from the LHS.

Thanks as always for your advice and suggestions!

Steve

Glad to help. Hopefully the Tamiya solvent for ABS will do the trick.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Thu May 04, 2017 1:19 pm

Hey Guys!

Well it turns out I didn't need the ABS glue. I scraped some interior paint off the plastic and tried again. Success! It finally stayed sealed. I think the pressure I was putting on the wing with the clamps was deforming it out of place so, when the clamps were released, the plastic sprang back in place beyond the elastic properties of the adhesive. At least, IMHO.

But Yeay! It's sealed! :dancingbanana:

Just wanted to let you know I am still working on this and it is still glowing! Here I was trying to determine if I had enough light leakage to properly light the Command Module. It looks like I do. I thought I was going to have to cut some larger holes in the primary hull to allow more light in. Glad I'm wrong.

Image20170426_222301

Last night, I was able to squeeze in some time on the bench and was able to Solder the last contact wire into place! A milestone and PROGRESS!

Image20170503_210438

Now I can start the masking and painting and the assembly of the "greebly" parts of the ship. I have a mass of seam work, but I seem to enjoy it! (No pun intended! Well...maybe a little!)

Thanks for reading and keeping this alive!

Never Give Up!

Steve
Last edited by MSgtUSAFRet on Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “1/1400”