Kobayashimaru's Star Trek Customs Gallery

Discuss 1/3900, 1/7000 and other miniatures here.
kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Kobayashimaru's Star Trek Customs Gallery

Post by kobayashimaru » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:56 pm

Does anyone have a ST:AW template?
I'm looking to make extra custom stats, but can't find online any ready-to-roll templates. :D

DrNicket
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by DrNicket » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:57 pm

Have you tried BoardGameGeek? there's tons of files there.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/139 ... wing#files

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by kobayashimaru » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:32 pm

Why thank you DrNicket for the handy link;
any chance you'd know the font style?
(Part of me wants to use Etheral Sans Oblique for Borg Stat Cards hehe)

That said,
I am EXTREMELY happy with the level of awesome folks who've enjoyed the Tetrahedron put into the custom statcards,
and a re-imagined decent Borg Queen Captain/Admiral.
We've also got some 'unique' drone captains to counter Data and Martok/Worf spams,
so, "Klingon Borg Captain", "Hirogen", Tellarite, etc...
I don't want to tread on their awesome statcard toes, if they've already made pure awesome!

Have you seen the recent large "bork Cylinder" on Shapeways?
that thing is AWESOME!
They're also making a 1:5000 borg freighter from ENT and the VGER cloud (at 1:11400).

DrNicket
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by DrNicket » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:29 pm

You're very welcome!

I believe there is actually more than one special font required by the various templates contained there.

However, to my knowledge, the fonts are included in the zip archives when needed.

ex. Swiss 911 Ultra Compressed (the primary font) comes with the Ship-Upgrade, and Mission Template Master Bleed archives.

I too think you Borg Tet is awesome. As well as your other creations. Good job! Keep it up, and please keep us in the loop.

Be Well,

DrNicket
~Assimilate two worlds and PM me in the morning.

DrNicket
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by DrNicket » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:33 pm

Also, here is a link to a relatively maintained Google Docs spreadsheet containing details AND links to many custom cards already created by our community.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... d=25819877

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by kobayashimaru » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:01 pm

Top stuff! :D
Thanks for the kind words (the stl's are out there for folks that want to print n play at home/local print hub hehehe)
and extra special thanks for those handy custom cards and tech!
They're surprisingly well balanced, and I'm liking Err404's work muchly.
|We need some kind of 'middle of the road' borg, to let em have more options, but be less OverPowered hehehe|

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by kobayashimaru » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:24 am

with the composite image craze sweeping the modelmaking world;
from sci-fi, to apocalyptic, even to real-world model making (the nascar or indysupercars, boats, military models)
and all the awesome guides from the sacred scale and 350 threads here on AST,
why should the bigger scales have all the fun? :lol:

Above: Nebula background is a heavy remix modified from "Spectral Scent" by aRchAng3lZz of devart, under CCA 3. Visit aRchAng3lZz and support them so as they can keep making space stuff!

The tetrahedron transwarps into a region. Apart from the background and superimposed transwarp conduit effects,
this is the stock tetrahedron (tactical). I'm fairly pleased with the results, though I'm sure it could be better -
how do folks better depthmerge the foreground to the background?
could the transwarp effect be made different? - I think I've put too much yellow and white into the effect, and not enough dark green or distortion.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Drop_Bear » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:14 pm

That looks fantastic! The tetrahedron is a cool looking ship.
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by kobayashimaru » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:38 pm

Cheers Drop_Bear,
what do you think of the green though?
I'm not sure it's quite 'borgy' - there might be too much yellow or white in the mix hehehe

Also, how did you remove the edge lighting on your composite ship image?
Your Anzac looks pretty darn seamless against the background

the Tetrahedron was a great idea, I've been meaning to thank Paul for suggesting that.
I've made conservatively, on the order of 300-400 of the tactical variant :D
(the .stl and .vob/obj are available for free at 3 places, in older format code to be multi-compatible)
I'd be making more if the k8203 wasn't always in use or breaking down hehehe
that, and suddenly, all the local sources of reasonable photoetch have dried up...

if you like that, you might enjoy Sierpinski's Tetrix (a fractal tetrahedra polychora),
or the rhombic 397cell tetrahedral net :lol:
welcome to the creepyworld of n'th dimensional topology

Someone on the german forums painstakingly got their Xerox machine to make a 3sphere,
they thought it was a 'failure' because they could only print it big and 40% infill, but i looked at it and immediately thought :borg2:
:lol:

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Drop_Bear » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:56 am

Yeah, probably a little too much yellow/white on the transwarp blur. But it looks alright. Like a bright trail of green light. Hellfire might be an appropriate word, since this is a Borg ship. :) If you made the trail a little darker as it goes back into infinity, that might help. As-is it looks a little flat and unconvincing, but only if you look close.

I'm still developing a technique but what I have been doing is pretty simple. I removed the backgrounds around Anzac in two passes. The first is just a rough pass to get rid of most of it. GIMP has a tool that allows you to delete things of a similar colour; it's rather indiscriminate, but useful. I use it to delete as much of the background as I can but without deleting any part of the starship. This seems to take a few tries to get right... kind of like whatshisname and his idiotic plan to destroy history in order to fix the timeline. :lol: What that tool doesn't get rid of I take care of by selecting and deleting it manually.

On the second pass I get in close and use the paintbrush (small and circular) and freeform select tools to get rid of everything else and make sure the outline has a clean edge to it. I have found that shading the outline of the starship seems to help it blend into the new background a little better. The idea is to darken and blur just the very edge without giving it a cartoonish black outline. There is a bit of colour correction involved, too, using the paintbrush tool and careful colour selection.

That's all there is to it, really. Sorry I can't be much more help than this; I'm still learning, too.
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

Return to “Gaming”