Need some help with scales

Discuss 1/3900, 1/7000 and other miniatures here.
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Need some help with scales

Post by Lonewolf »

I received four resin kits for Christmas from a friend, and I'm trying to get kit reviews written for them. However, there's nothing showing on the packaging about the relative scales. The only thing that's consistent between the kits is the hex base that's included with each.

As far as I know, they were all produced by 2201 Science Fiction Miniatures. The kits I have are:

Romulan Scout Class Starship (gray resin) - 1:2500? 1:1600? (about an inch long)

Federation Constellation Class (gray resin) - 1:5000? (about 3 inches long)

Federation Ambassador Class (gray resin) - 1:5000? 1:7000? (roughly 4.25 inches long)

Federation Galaxy Class (white resin) - No idea, but the saucer section is about 3 inches across and it looks like the whole thing is under 3 inches long.

Also, any idea when these were produced?

The kits came from Cydonia last Christmas, and they were originally part of the collection of Thomas Sasser.

Any help y'all might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!
jkb-1
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: Need some help with scales

Post by jkb-1 »

Romulan Scout: the Attack Wing mini I accepted into my Sacred Scale fleet is 1 1/2 inch, translating to 95 m. Ex-Astris has it as 89 m long. Your 1 incher would be about 1/3500.

Constellation: about length of saucer + length of nacelles, 300 m or so. 1/4000-ish

Ambassador length 526 m: 1/4900

Galaxy length 641 m, I make the width to be 479.74 m. Depending on which one is 3 inches, 1/6300 to 1/8400.

That's all I can tell you.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

What the scales mean is how many inches to the real inch. 1/48 is 48 inches to the inch. Sacred Scale 1/2500 is 2,500 inches to the inch or 208' 4" to the inch.

Take the known length of the ship. Convert to inches. 39.36 inches to the meter BTW.

Get the exact length of the model in niches. Accuracy is important. Digital Calipers are cheap.

Divine the former by the latter. The number you get is the scale expressed as a fraction. 1/xxxx.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

The models are not high-tech in the least. I'm guessing late 1980's/early 1990's vintage resin. Detailing is kinda thick. The models are in small Ziploc plastic baggies, with a small color photo of a complete model, stapled to a cardboard backer with name of the kit and some basic assembly instructions. No markings are included, even though the photos show markings. The top of the cardboard backer has text in bold face that reads "2201 Science Fiction Miniatures" with the name of the kit in smaller font below it.

As far as I know, these are not things that Thomas produced but rather were things he picked up somewhere over the years. They look like they were designed for tabletop game use, as each ship has an enclosed resin hex base and a length of wire for the stand. The color photos show the assembled model on a hex game board. These are markedly smaller than the Hallmark ships, like maybe 1/4 the size.

I'll have images posted soon. I took in-package photos last weekend, and I have to open each baggie to get a parts count and accurate measurements when I write the kit reviews.
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

They sound like models for the Star Fleet Battles game.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Return to “Gaming”