1/32 Bridge kit

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

1/32 Bridge kit

Postby Tesral » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:14 pm

I just got the new R2 upgrade. Nice figures to say the least. Wonderful decals.

I have a finished floor section for this kit in the basement. I am doing the A deck of the USS Kongo NCC-1710, not the Enterprise so I can take considerable liberties with canon correctness and get away with it. Ergo I don't have to rebuild the instrument panels.

One thing about the Kongo is the extended A deck. As I have two of the older models I have lots of parts to work with.

I will be looking over the old and new parts and planing out the steps from here. I need more females for the bridge. The question try and bargain for them or make them.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Owen E Oulton
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: 1/32 Bridge kit

Postby Owen E Oulton » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:31 pm

I don't know about "nice figures - except for the Uhura figure, they seem to be (from the instructions PDF on R2's site, anyway) the same old crappy figures. Are the heads at least in scale with the rest of the figure this time round? IIRC, only the kirk figure was even remotely decent, except for the head and feet. Have they given us all the proper instruments on Spock's station? Have they fixed the incredibly bad Helm/Nav console problems? Does the "full-circle" bridge fit properly to give a round Bridge? With the original AMT kit, even putting two kits together would produce an oval shape. Enquiring minds want to know!

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:05 am

Well considering the old figures where beyond crap and these have hands with fingers, they are not the old figures. Proportions look decent. You have six bodies and ten heads. The rest. I haven't even opened the poly bags, or dragged the older kits up from the Dungeon yet.

Further study is indicated.

Savion
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby Savion » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:02 am

Owen, the answer to your questions are.... No, no and no.

In order to get a proper circle Bridge, you'd have to change a lot about the layout and that hasn't changed.

Spock's station gets the scanner hood, but the library computer terminal is a DECAL.

Nav/Helm has Sulu's targeting scanner added.

EDIT: We also get the two missing full-size stations plus the correctly oriented half-station next to the large blank panel to the left side of the Bridge. Re-reading my post here made it seem like that we didn't get that, but we do. :)

That's about it. Not enough chairs, more figures would have been good and most certainly would have needed at least two more scanner hoods. All the other issues associated with this kit are still present.

Still needs a LOT of work to fix; the model is now a single- kit starting point... ;)
Last edited by Savion on Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Owen E Oulton
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby Owen E Oulton » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:40 pm

The figures are exactly the ones from the last AMT/Ertl release. There were three in that release - two standing and one sitting. The two standing figures are simply duplicated several times - the Spock figure with his hands at his sides and the Sulu figure with his arms crossed. The Kirk figure had separate arms and was seated, and is also duplicated a few times. The heads were good charicatures of the three actors, but they were outsized, at least 1/30th scale. My question is "are the new heads to scale with the 1/32-ish figures, or are they still freakishly large.

I mean, to do the multiple new figures on a sprue, they had to have cut a new tool. Why on God's green earth couldn't they have produced modern good quality figures - even up to Tamiya's older standards would have been adequate. Giving us enough seats and adding a small plant-on piece for Spock's Library computer would have been easy. But no, they took the cheap and shoddy way out. I applaud their idea, just not their execution.

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:22 am

These are NOT the old figures. I'll get the two sets out and do side by side photos

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:10 pm

As promised. At least partial pictures. As you can see the figures are not the same in any way. The sprune is separate from the rest of the kit. A new mold.

Thumbnail of the old figure bodies. And link to a larger image.

Thumbnail of the new figure bodies (sorry about the soft focus, they are much sharper. And link to a larger image.

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:51 am

Roughing out the blueprints. There is gong to be a ton of room north of the view screen. Mind you the drawing is still in very early stages.

Kongo 1710 Bridgesmall.png

Owen E Oulton
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby Owen E Oulton » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:41 pm

OK, I was , as I stated, going by the instruction images, which were just the old instruction images reused. These are a big improvement, but they're still hollow-front-and-back single piese figures. They should have gone for solid ones with separate legs, torso and heads. Maybe I'll pick up the kit after all...

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:27 pm

Owen E Oulton wrote:OK, I was , as I stated, going by the instruction images, which were just the old instruction images reused. These are a big improvement, but they're still hollow-front-and-back single piece figures. They should have gone for solid ones with separate legs, torso and heads. Maybe I'll pick up the kit after all...

Most of them yes. The arms are separate on all the seated figures. You have six figures, ten heads. And the instructions are new as well. They show all ten heads and the female figure. The drawing style still sucks.

For the ambitious there are the Preiser Elastolin "Adam" and "Eve" figure in 1.32 scale. I have a set of "Eve".

At this point I have enough bridge parts for about two and a half bridges. I'm seriously going to consider thinning out.

Return to “Misc”