Klingon K't'inga 1/537 scale -Pic heavy

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Klingon K't'inga 1/537 scale -Pic heavy

Post by trekriffic » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:36 pm

This is my Klingon K't'inga by AMT. The ship is roughly 1/537 scale. The paint scheme is loosely based on that of the ships seen in the opening scenes of Star Trek The Motion Picture.
ImageKlingon K't'inga by trekriffic, on Flickr

Closeups:
Last edited by trekriffic on Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Re: Klingon K't'inga 1/650 scale -Pic heavy

Post by Del » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:56 pm

:thumbsup: I hope mine will look as nice as yours when I build it. I think the colors are perfect. It is possible to detail a kit too much, but you've used a palette that is slightly muted, where each color is complimentary to the other. Such a beautiful and subtle effect that really adds depth and scale to the model. Looks almost studio scale to me. Great job!
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:54 pm

:D Thanks Del! This model started out with a light grey basecoat oversprayed with Testors transparent silver blue metallic.The raised panels were then painted silver and dark blue. After several years I grew tired of this look and decided a repaint was in order. I had a spray can of Testors Transparent Green left over from painting the TNG Adversary Set's Romulan Warbird and thought the K't'inga might look good in green. So I sprayed it with it and it looked pretty good. I liked the way it muted the silver panels from before but I didn't like the look of the blue panels so I repainted those burgundy. I also painted the sunburst around the torpedo tube on the bow burgundy. It had been a yellow decal before. Then I painted the smaller uppermost wing accent panels and panels on the nacelles and command pod with Testors brass. Then the ship was given 2-3 coats of Testors Transparent Pearl Overcoat which muted the burgundy panels and the green tint overall imparting a metallic look to the finish. After repaintin the windows and adding black striping to the front of the command pod using rub on dry transfer decals the cruiser was sealed with 3-4 coats of Dullcote. So it took quite awile to get to the finished look you see here.

caisson2delta
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Post by caisson2delta » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:44 am

I have to agree, you did a nice job with her. The paint job is very well executed and makes it look much larger. You did justice to this kit.

trek66jrc
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by trek66jrc » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:49 pm

Excellent!!! :D

Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:30 am

Very nicely done!

I built one of those about 10 years ago, long before I acquired an airbrush. Unfortunately, I can only find one photo from the batch that I took back then. I have to do an updated photo shoot anyway, so here is the one pic that I have.

All of the detail painting was done with toothpicks, which probably explains why I am now wearing glasses with progressive lenses. :oops:
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!

trynda1701

Post by trynda1701 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:29 am

Excellent paint job, trekriffic! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

I've heard people say that the detail on this kit is too 'raised' as it were. Your work here makes this kit look very cool indeed.

By the way, not up on the early Trek kits scales, but I thought this kit was larger than the original D-7. You said it was in scale to the AMT Enterprise. So was the AMT D-7 in a smaller scale than the AMT Enterprise?

Mark
Fool me once, SHAME on you! Fool me TWICE? INCOMING!

British by law, SCOTTISH by birth!

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:34 pm

trynda1701 wrote:Excellent paint job, trekriffic! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

I've heard people say that the detail on this kit is too 'raised' as it were. Your work here makes this kit look very cool indeed.

By the way, not up on the early Trek kits scales, but I thought this kit was larger than the original D-7. You said it was in scale to the AMT Enterprise. So was the AMT D-7 in a smaller scale than the AMT Enterprise?

Mark
I believe the K't'inga was slightly larger than the D-7 in the trek universe so the kit is correspondingly slightly larger than the D-7 kit. I don't have an AMT D-7 model to compare it with though so take what I say with a grain of salt.

TI4438
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by TI4438 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:49 pm

Very nice.I built one of these for a friend years ago.I put a wicked paint job on it.The guy eventually stiffed me for $700.I still regret giving him the model. :oops:

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Re: Klingon K't'inga 1/537 scale -Pic heavy

Post by trekriffic » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:11 pm

Since the original postings in this thread I have discovered that this kit is actually 1/537 scale. I have edited my first post to reflect that correction.

Return to “Misc”