33 inch TOS Enterprise - Studio Scale Replica (Pic heavy)

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: 33 inch TOS Enterprise - Studio Scale Replica (Pic heavy)

Post by Shaw »

:goodpost:

Few more shots... I haven't been able to do much, but I figure letting her sit assembled is always good for stress testing (plus it is nice to see her sitting here like that).

Click to enlarge

Like on my Phase II Enterprise, I designed the nacelle support pylons with rough attachment areas on either end. The idea is that this gives me room to make adjustments in alignment as I bring the model together during final assembly. That is the reason the nacelles aren't perfectly aligned in any of these shots, there is still a lot of room for adjustments at this stage.

As soon as I'm reasonably sure about the state of the dorsal's connection point to the primary hull (this is held together by a single nut during these test assemblies), I'll use the alignment box to put all the parts into their correct positions and do the final joining of the nacelle supports to the secondary hull.
Mighty_Judo
Candid Cadet
Candid Cadet

Post by Mighty_Judo »

Shaw, I've been reading about your work for only the last several days, and didn't realize how current the project was! (You know those decades old threads you come across while researching where the guy has since fallen off the face of the earth, and half the time the images are all broken because they don't exist anymore. Glad that's not the case here.)

Anyway, I'm thrilled to be able to follow your endeavors in real time. Polar Lights/Round 2 should take notice of your research and collaborate with you to produce a kit - a wild idea, I know, but a lot of less likely things have happened, so why not that?
Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Shaw »

Thanks!

I've actually wondered about the possibility of Round 2 doing a 1/1000 Phase II Enterprise. Considering that they were able to get both the Romulan Bird of Prey and Reliant tooled within their budget limitations (which is the biggest hurdle), the Phase II Enterprise would seem like a good possibility (and is a popular enough subject that they could expect a good return on their investment).

I hadn't really considered modified parts for the 1/350 TOS Enterprise kit to better replicate the 33 inch model until I heard that they were releasing a gridless primary hull soon. A reasonable 33 inch replica could be done with a primary hull replacement, but that would also require a new dorsal pylon (from what I've seen of the kit).

Jamie has contacted me in the past about things, so I would guess that if they are ever interested in something like that I'll hear from them.
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

Shaw, this is awesome research and a fabulous build!

Since I only remember seeing the ship in that one scene in "Requiem for Methuselah", I didn't really notice the contour differences until I saw snippets of your thread on the various forums!

Also, speaking as a recipient of your generous file sharing, I would say "Dang the resonance cannons and Full Speed Ahead!" I know without your help, my 1974 AMT Enterprise restore wouldn't look as good as it does IMHO!

Keep at it!

It looks like you pretty far along with the build. What's left beyond that painting and decals?

Looking forward to more posts! :)

Steve
Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Shaw »

Thanks!
MSgtUSAFRet wrote:It looks like you pretty far along with the build. What's left beyond that painting and decals?
Good question... specially because, yeah, it looks close to being finished (heck, I look at it assembled and think that I can't be that far from being done).

First, it is just set together (dry fit) or taped (on the side away from the camera). I do this mainly to make sure that everything is working together correctly.

The primary hull is pretty far along. I need to make the upper and lower sensor domes, and then I'll have most of the parts I need. I recently added a second hole for an additional screw to hold the primary hull to the dorsal. I wanted to make sure that there was more stability (structurally) before the eventual gluing of those pieces together.

The top of the dorsal needs a bit more gap filling to make it an even better fit to the contour of the primary hull. It is close, but could use a little more work.

The deflector/sensor assembly on the front of the secondary hull, those are all parts for the masters. They are there to make sure that they are matching the design correctly before I invest a ton of time making molds to cast the final parts. The dish is a test casting from the mold I made off the dish master, the spike is a stand-in as I haven't started on that part yet.

The rear of the secondary hull (around the hangar bay) needs adjusting.

I recently used Aves Apoxie Sculpt to get the top and bottom parts of the nacelle support pylons to match the contours of the secondary hull and nacelles. Like the dorsal pylon, this is meant to get a good fit, but things aren't glued together yet.

I wasn't happy with the forward nacelle cap assembly, so I started over from scratch and sculpted a new master. I made a mold of it and the parts you see in the last set of images are test pulls from that mold so I can see if I fixed the problem I was having with the original parts.

The detailing on the inboard channels of the nacelles has been a pain. These are very unique (to this model) and I've spent more time trying to replicate the original parts than nearly any other part of this model. I think I'm getting close to having the parts I need, so that (more than anything else) should push the build forward significantly.

On the decal side, I have the lettering drawn up (I've had them for more than three years now), but I keep cross checking what I've drawn against newer references of the original decals. While better references have confirmed that my original drawings were very accurate, I've been waiting to actually assemble the graphics from the decals until I get much closer to being ready to apply them to the model. Plus it isn't just making sure that all the lettering matches the original decal sheet, I need to make sure I know exactly where everything goes on the model's surface if I want to replicate the original studio model.

And lastly, there are all the flaws of the original studio model that need to be cataloged and replicated on this model. That has been a fun job because given the level of noise on the reference photos, I need to (in many cases) confirm a flaw's existence in two or more images. Even now, if you look closely you'll see holds in the primary hull that were drilled into the original model for hanging it that aren't part of the actual Enterprise design.

So yeah, it looks a lot closer to being done than it really is. And because it is lower priority than the two shuttlecraft models I'm working on, I haven't dedicated that much time towards it (of the time I can dedicate towards building models right now).
Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Shaw »

Took the first steps towards getting back to my models today... retrieving a few of them from storage.

Click to enlarge

At this point I only have these models out as they were the last to be put into storage. It'll still be a while to get to some of my other things that went in earlier. Even the Enterprise is just the parts you see at this point, everything else is packed away much deeper. The shuttlecraft stuff should be easier to find, but I also need to find the tools and materials I'll need to get started again. These small test articles are almost finished, I got side-lined while finishing the decals on them.

Once I finish with my shuttlecraft project I'll turn my attention back to finishing the Enterprise.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Hey good to see you back.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

Shaw wrote: Once I finish with my shuttlecraft project I'll turn my attention back to finishing the Enterprise.
UUuugggh! I hate waiting. :cry:

Really love watching your threads, Shaw! :D

Keep going!

Steve
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

Oh man it's good to have you back bringing these great builds of your back into the light. :bow: :bow: :bow:
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Tesral wrote:Hey good to see you back.
What he said. I've been missing these types of posts
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “Misc”