Vulcan Shuttle Surak

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
tdwi66
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Vulcan Shuttle Surak

Post by tdwi66 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:52 pm

Hi All,

I am currently working on a AMT/ERTL Vulcan Shutttle kit, and I'm and nearing completion so I'm asking for some opinions on the color that I've chosen.

I have all of the seams filled with Aves, and a nice coat of primer here.

Here is the real challenge to version of the kit, trying to match the correct color to the filming model. AMT/ERTL molded theirs in white, Round 2 mold theirs in mauve, and it took me long time to match that color. My mixing skills are nil, and I wanted to find a rattle can alternative. I think I may have found it, and I hope you all agree. Belton-Molotow Tilt Bubble Pink is the closest to what I think matches Round 2's plastic. I've included 2 pics, and would appreciate any comments or opinions.

The first picture is with the flash, the second is not so you can see how the color changes depending on the light. For me this color really works, and I would like some feedback to see what some of think.

Thanks,

Tom

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Vulcan Shuttle Surak

Post by Tesral » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:50 pm

The studio model
V.Shuttle.jpg
V.Shuttle.jpg (61.25 KiB) Viewed 2580 times
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

tdwi66
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by tdwi66 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:22 am

In that picture it does look like more of an orchid color but, there are a couple behind the scenes pics like the one with Andy Probert that show it to have a more pinkish tint. This comes pretty close to what Round 2 colored their plastic.

andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by andyh » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:26 am

I once found some pics of this studio model shot in natural light, and it looked less mauve than the pics taken under studio lights. I can hunt up the pics if you are interested, but if you are going for the look in the picture you posted, it looks pretty close :)

Andy

tdwi66
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by tdwi66 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:59 pm

If you can find the pictures that would be fabulous Andy! :D If I can keep the current color I would prefer that. The color I used looks more purple in natural light, and more pink with artificial light. The camera just doesn't catch the true color either which is a shame. I guess the color I'm going for is more like that of the Round 2 plastic as opposed to the studio model.

Tom

tdwi66
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by tdwi66 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:10 am

I decided to try a different color paint from the same manufacturer. They did offer a mauve but, the sample online didn't look right and I decided to go with the color that I thought looked right online Tilt Bubble pink. Of course that one came out way too pink, and this one actually does look a lot closer to what I thought would look good. Here are some updated picks of the shuttle on top of the warp sled that still only has primer on it.

Of course it still requires some clean up, and another coat or two however, I am even more pleased with the results.

Tom

tdwi66
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by tdwi66 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:26 am

Here she is with the warp sled painted also.

I have to say she's starting to look really good now!

Tom

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:16 pm

tdwi66 wrote:Here she is with the warp sled painted also.

I have to say she's starting to look really good now!

Tom
This looks really good!

BRW, what was that first color that you used? I have a Mospeada Inbit that needs to be that shade of purplish pink
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

tdwi66
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by tdwi66 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:32 pm

Thank you el gato!!! :D The first color I tried was called Belton-Molotow Premium Tilt Bubble Pink that I ordered from Bombing Science in Canada. It is a graffiti paint so it does leave a little texture on the model. A member on another board said they were going to decant it and use it in an airbrush which may be the best way to go. Here is the link to the website. https://shop.bombingscience.com/molotow ... 400ml.html I hope this helps!

Tom

tdwi66
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by tdwi66 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:11 am

Well, I've made a little more progress today! I was able to get all of the black detail done on the nacelles. Unfortunately this was my second try because I thinned my Tamiya black paint a little too much yesterday and it ran under the masks. Today I airbrushed without any thinning, and the results were most satisfying. :D Here's a couple of pics of where I'm at now.

Have a great weekend!

Tom

Return to “Misc”