*another* another lighted Reliant

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
toejrb
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Windows make me crazy

Post by toejrb »

All right, it's time to tackle the windows. I have the paragrafix pe templates, so that's a big help. Even with those, though, it's really tough to get the oblong windows right. I'd taken a stab at the hull directly, but with the thick kit plastic it was pretty much hopeless.

Fortunately, some of the windowed spots on the studio model's hull look like they were covered with styrene sheet, layered atop the primary (vacuform?) model covering. Here's the aft port quarter on the studio model. I'm pretty sure that's a raised lip showing on the aft edge of the window section. Good enough an excuse for me to do the window bit as a separate piece, much as I described upthread for the forward-facing windows on the upper hull.
reliant studio model aft port quarter.png
BTW, the above photo is cropped from a larger pic available here: https://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans ... sties1.jpg

I'm going to use the thinnest plastic I can lay hands on, .020 from Evergreen. That should make workability a breeze, and give a scale look to things to boot.

Here's take 1. Not so good. Even with the template, the oblongs are irregular, oversized, and out of line. Hmmm.
yuck
yuck
image.jpeg (90.98 KiB) Viewed 3350 times
For take 2, before using the circular bit on the end of each oblong, I used an Xacto to cut the horizontal lines that are at the top and bottom of each window. Better! But good enough? I still see room for improvement, so I'm going to practice some more before deciding if this is as good as it gets.
better!
better!
image_1.jpeg (110.47 KiB) Viewed 3350 times
As an aside, this technique will only work on flat surfaces, where I can swap sheet sytrene in for kit plastic. How I'm going to do the compound curved bits on the primary hull is still an open question. Also, I've got to figure out how to get the windows aligned all the way around the hull, so the sensor bands are nice and level. But one thing at a time.
toejrb

Re: *another* another lighted Reliant

Post by toejrb »

andyh wrote:I'm really liking the smaller lounge pieces. Looks perfect now :)

Andy
Thanks!

Looks like I could've saved myself some effort and just ordered a piece from DLM, https://scifimodelaction.com/sfmaforum/i ... pic=5634.0 but this was a fun little digression, and, unlike the bridge work, resulted in something useable!
andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by andyh »

How are you cutting the windows? With a punch set or a drill? I find that the Waldron micro punch set works better than a drill for making windows like you are trying here.

If it's a drill then you are doing a much better job than I could do!

Andy
toejrb

Post by toejrb »

andyh wrote:How are you cutting the windows? With a punch set or a drill? I find that the Waldron micro punch set works better than a drill for making windows like you are trying here.

If it's a drill then you are doing a much better job than I could do!

Andy
Drill. I've been eyeing a Waldron set, or similar, but haven't jumped yet. Does the punch help with the oblong windows?

Speaking of which, I took a third stab at the oblongs last night. This time I traced the PE window outline using a fine pin in a pin vise. Then I drilled out a hole at either end of the window. Best results yet, if still imperfect. Even a fine pin results in some offset from the PE outline, so there's still some fettling to clear the area between the end-holes, and that's where it kinda breaks down.
better windows.jpeg
better windows.jpeg (67.76 KiB) Viewed 3327 times
I'm going to class this as "good enough" and start moving around the hull. I can use this technique with sheet styrene for the flat vertical sections. Luckily enough that's where most of the windows are. For the primary hull, my plan is to thin the window areas to .020ish using the dremel, then use the needle, drill, and files, in situ. Wish me luck . . .
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Dont sweat too much...if it is not going to take part on a contest it doesnt worth the suffering. I bet that no one of your friends will notice it. In fact even you wont care about this a couple weeks after to put her in the shelf!

;)

Your job is getting great overall!

:)
Thanks,

Yan.
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

toejrb, this is looking fabulous! The windows are getting better as you explore the best way to approach the task. For what it is worth, I think the last effort would satisfy the most discerning critic!

But I do have an idea about cutting the oblong windows. There is a family of dental burs called "fissure" burs that offer a longer cutting surface. For example, assuming one can be found the approximate width of the windows and you have access to a drill press capable of holding the shank, you could perforate the plastic and then gently move the plastic back and forth until you get the desired length.

Just a thought..

Here is an example of the fissure burs. It is a UK site, but a US equivalent is available. https://www.swallowdental.co.uk/dental- ... -burs.html

Hope this helps!

Good Luck!

Steve
toejrb

Post by toejrb »

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:toejrb, this is looking fabulous! The windows are getting better as you explore the best way to approach the task. For what it is worth, I think the last effort would satisfy the most discerning critic!

But I do have an idea about cutting the oblong windows. There is a family of dental burs called "fissure" burs that offer a longer cutting surface. For example, assuming one can be found the approximate width of the windows and you have access to a drill press capable of holding the shank, you could perforate the plastic and then gently move the plastic back and forth until you get the desired length.

Just a thought..

Here is an example of the fissure burs. It is a UK site, but a US equivalent is available. https://www.swallowdental.co.uk/dental- ... -burs.html

Hope this helps!

Good Luck!

Steve
Thanks!

Interesting idea about the dental bit. I imagine a machinist could use this sort of thing very effectively! I do have a drill press, and had tried something along those lines with a regular old drill bit, essentially using it as a router. The problems I ran into were (a) locating the bit precisely when dropping onto the work, (b) moving the work precisely in line, and (b) not destroying the PE template I was using to guide the cut.

Hey, you're ex-military; maybe you can answer the real question the windows raise -- what do they spell in morse code?
morse code.jpg
morse code.jpg (17.8 KiB) Viewed 3317 times
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

:lol: Good one, toejrb! But I am used to OOP languages and CLI than I am Morse Code! :roll:

Well, techincally it spells V/LNESEAE

But loosely tranlated

"Give up, Puny Mortal! You will never cut these windows! I laugh at your efforts!"

Ya know, LOOSELY translated! :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve
andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by andyh »

toejrb wrote: Drill. I've been eyeing a Waldron set, or similar, but haven't jumped yet. Does the punch help with the oblong windows?
The Waldron punches are perfect for getting the holes centred. I highly recommend them, but your last attempt is pretty damn amazing!

Andy
MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by MadManMUC »

Any progress on this kit? So far, I'm really, really liking this!

Question, though: do you plan on lighting the RCS thrusters aft of the nacelles? I'm just starting this kit, too, and I'd like to light them up. The problem being that the pylons are solid styrene — and, as you mentioned on the first page of the thread — the wrong thickness and shape.

If you do light them, I'll be curious to know how to do it!
DANGER. SPACE DOORS ARE CLOSED.

"I saw it done on Discovery" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
(With apologies to Tesral for nicking his sig. :mrgreen: )

Return to “Misc”