Hot race girl

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Hot race girl

Postby NCC1966 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:20 pm

I don't know if I ever mentioned before but I love to build/paint e2046 figures. They are big, super-detailed and HOT!
This one is a commission for a friend. Actually he is my boss (the owner of the company I work for as a remote employee for 11 years) and after I show him a picture of one of my models several years ago he mentioned that would love to have one of those girls. By the time I promised him one but it took around 5 years to get done (the doom of my workbench) and I am going to send it to him as a gift!

The model was sculpted from an original drawing of a fantasy hero for a game (or whatever, I have no idea) of the Japanese artist Shunya Yamashita and her name is "Rudy". She has a fancy costume and carry some kind of weapon:

Because the company that I work for is in the car part industry, I made a kit bash and turned her into a "hot race girl". I changed entirely her costume, the painting, replaced the weapon by some kind of race flag and added a baseball style head cap to her. The cap and the stripes in the costume were made of synthetic leather and the flag is made out of actual wood (a toothpick) and cloth that my wife sewed for me. To finish it I made a base out of 3mm MDF cut by plasma with a laser printed art with the logo of the company where the figure was fixed to.

I hope you like it!

:)

Last edited by NCC1966 on Fri May 12, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks,

Yan.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Re: Hot race girl

Postby trekriffic » Thu May 11, 2017 10:17 pm

Wow! Color me impressed!
Love the base.
The skin is perfect.
And the eyes are amazing.
Your boss will go nuts over this; but, if he doesn't, you can send her to me.

:blondebanana: :ninjabanana: :ropebanana:
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Fri May 12, 2017 5:02 pm

trekriffic wrote:Wow! Color me impressed!
Love the base.
The skin is perfect.
And the eyes are amazing.
Your boss will go nuts over this; but, if he doesn't, you can send her to me.

:blondebanana: :ninjabanana: :ropebanana:

Glad that you like it!

:)

Since you mentioned the colors one of the more difficult things at all is to achieve the correct skin tone! Although it seems to be simple it's incredibly hard! One thing that doesn't help is that NO ONE of the colors sold as "skin" or "flesh" doesn't give a realistic tone and all of them (no exception!) will look artificial and fake.

Also the alchemy is not easy either. I had lots of attempts in the past that after painted looked too yellowish or too brownish or too red or too orange — everything but a convincing skin tone. Thing can be quite simple if you are going to paint a troll, an orc, a zombi, or other weird fantasy character but when it comes to reproduce the human skin then things are way different.

Sometimes you do the mix, guess that it's alright and only after to lay down the paint over the model and let it dry you see how frustrating is the result. It took me literally AGES to figure out the correct combination of different paints to get the right tone. Also the ideal scenario is to paint the base tone, then paint a darker tone to force the shaded areas (that I didn't do on this model) — both with matte paint — and finally apply a couple of fine gloss clear to give it a subtle and natural live skin aspect. If you screw one of these steps you have to strip all paint off and start over!

:P

I had a couple models in the past that I hit the tone by pure luck but never could reproduce the same tone again. Nowadays I finally have found my own formula but even so I feel nervous every time!

:shock:

I read once an article about skin tones where the guy explained that the problem is that our brain is so used to the skin color that there is not a way of "trick" someone eyes. The interesting part is that exist infinite variations of skin tones, but even so there is a very fine line that you cannot cross: you do it right or you do it right because anyone will notice if it's wrong. Funny is that if you ask someone to describe a skin tone hardly the person will be able to do that. You just know if it looks correct or if not. But cannot explain exactly why.

Very different of a ship that regardless the variation of gray will still look good.

;)
Thanks,

Yan.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Fri May 12, 2017 8:51 pm

Yes. I have heard that accurate looking "normal human" skin tones are hard to reproduce. It gives me a great appreciation for those modellers who get it right. And you sir are on of those.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Sat May 13, 2017 10:10 pm

Yeah, great job overall but the skin and the eyes are impressive. I know several modelers who do figures and those two are what they tell me can make or break a model.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Mon May 15, 2017 5:08 am

Skin tones are critical. I've done a few larger scale figures.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:00 pm

Cool, I am glad that she is amusing you guys!

:mrgreen:
Thanks,

Yan.

Return to “Misc”