Star Trek: Picard

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
Dr_Corsa
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: Star Trek: Picard

Post by Dr_Corsa » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:23 am

Hey,

Yeah, I just saw this trailer right now. Can only said WOW, just WOW! Seven is backe, Data is back! Make it so!
Genuine decals addicted
1/1400 scale modeller

WarpNein
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by WarpNein » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:43 pm

Well, color me very cautiously optimistic. Seeing Seven (or more likely Annika Hanson) and Data is encouraging. I wonder how they're going to get Data back. Nemesis mentions B4's neural pathways were less sophisticated. Maybe that got solved, although Data stated that B4 could never be him. Maybe Data's body somehow survived the Scimitar's demise, though that seems implausible. It looks like the Nero-style Romulans of the first JJ Trek are back, so I'm presuming the destruction of Romulus still occurs. The dialogue is pretty good, no quips, no lame jokes, no "cool guys," it looks like they're actually taking this seriously. I see an LCARS display behind Picard in the Admiral's office. The holographic displays actually make sense since this is set in the future.

And who is this mysterious girl and her implied connection to the Borg? Is that connection what leads her to say she's safe with Picard? And it looks like the cube is being used as some sort of detention facility. I wonder. Will the series deal in some way with prejudice against the previously assimilated? The collective has collapsed thanks to Janeway, so they would all be trying to reclaim their previous identities. We've got both Seven and Picard and this girl's seeming connection to him and the Borg. Is she a resurgent Queen? Am I actually interested?

Now show me ships. If I see a refit Galaxy I'm subscribing to CBS All Access.

nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by nova1972x » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:17 pm

Yeah that last part with Data in it, seemed to me like a dream sequence. We see a disassembled Soong android which I assume is B4.

What is bothering me is the Countdown comic, and I think Star Trek Online, establish is Data is resurrected in B4's body,and by the time of the events just prior to Star Trek 2009, Data is in command of the enterprise, and Picard is retired and serving as an ambassador.

This means to me they will either ignore the comic and STO, or they will somehow do a minor adjustment to the previous lore for Star Trek Picard.

Overall, I am optimistic, but I am also skeptical, because I have been burned twice before with Star Trek 2009 and Discovery. I hope they keep Picard and Discovery separate and don't try to cross pollinate!

patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by patrickivan » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:48 pm

Some of the visuals were fascinating!

Here are some things that I'm speculating are major plot points. That Borg cube is a Romulan facility (either sanctioned or rogue) of some sort, and they're experimenting on people with Borg technology. Or the people are prisoners being used for less nefarious reasons, but accidents do happen (per the sign).

Something about the mysterious woman is key to this. Seven of Nine being involved is keeping my theory floating. Perhaps that woman is a former borg that has somehow shed the borg collective and evolved into something more human, while retaining many benefits of the borg.

She's a terminator.

Data. I'm guessing that body in the drawer isn't B4's. It's Data and was salvaged after the Scimitar exploded and was salvaged by whomever does clean up. I'd surmise it was the Romulans working with the Federation at this point. Data could be reintegrated into his old body perhaps? Or as someone else on another forum surmised, it is a holo-Data.

That fleet of Romulan looking ships looked great. Very graceful looking ships. I can't wait to see more of them.

The possible hero ship interior looks blandsville, with equally bland holo displays. But that's just me.

And overall, I'm thinking Picard will be a more whimsical man whose age puts him square into the not caring about protocol or offending people categories.

Oh and let's not forget Riker and Troi back for some or part of some episodes!

nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by nova1972x » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:49 pm

The android in the drawer was confirmed by Brent Spiner as being B4, and the scene with Picard is him as Data. Where Data got the new body, assuming it is not a Picard Dream/Vision/holodeck Data, is unknown. I think it would be cool if they downloaded Data's memories from B4, into Lore's body, which was stored all this time.

ProfArturo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by ProfArturo » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:30 pm

I was so excited I ran around in circles cheering for 10 minutes.

For 17 years, I couldn't accept Nemesis was the end. Now I know it wasn't.

nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by nova1972x » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:39 pm

ProfArturo wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:30 pm
I was so excited I ran around in circles cheering for 10 minutes.

For 17 years, I couldn't accept Nemesis was the end. Now I know it wasn't.
I couldn't agree more! Nemesis without a follow up really did feel like making TWOK without TSFS to follow it up.

Also, it is an even longer break than between Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace, and that felt like an eternity. Yet, it doesn't "feel" nearly as long a break between Nemesis and Picard

ProfArturo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by ProfArturo » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:07 pm

I guess that's because we have at least had some other sporadic forms of Trek in the meantime.

Return to “General Trek”