Bring back the Kzinti!

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
aurora-7
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Bring back the Kzinti!

Post by aurora-7 »

I've always been fascinated by the Kzinti race concept for Star Trek eversince I saw them on the TAS episode "The Slaver Weapon".

The Kzinti were a creation of author Larry Niven's Known Space series and he brought them in to the Trek-verse when he wrote the story for the animated Trek episode (The guy that wrote Ringworld wrote a Trek cartoon episode!!) Fans debate if TAS is canon or not but however it is 'officially' the very idea of a classic Sci Fi author bringing in one of his literary races to Trek fascinates me.

Since that airing in the early 70's, numerous attempts had been made to bring the Kzinti back but failed for one reason or another (https://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Kzinti). The Trek game Starfleet Command had the Kzinti as a playable race and they've made an appearence in novels but a Trek series writer named Jimmy Diggs hung on to the idea for quite some time, even for a try at the fan series Star Trek Phase II (https://gordonwaynewatts.com/StarTrek/STP2_eMag_005.pdf)

I'd like to see Star Trek: Odyssey try something with them.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Bring back the Kzinti!

Post by Tesral »

Well my version.

Qzin
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

I may be recalling it incorrectly but I do believe that there were no references to Caitians (M'ress) prior to TAS starting up, and one did show up during Star Trek IV, the Voyage Home.
https://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Caitian
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
aurora-7
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by aurora-7 »

Yeah, Catians made their first appearance in TAS and have taken on serveral forms throught out various franchise projects.

There was another 'felinoid' race that's only been referred to in the Star Fleet Command games (I think) and they went by the name 'Lyrans', a yet another offshoot from the Kzinti.

I see some Trek map refernces list the planet 'Kzin'.
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient »

I'm not sure where to confirm it, but I believe Enterprise Season 5 that never was, was going to introduce the Kzinti. I suppose since TAS is canon now, they are in the universe, but Enterprise would have been a solid confirmation. Ah well.
aurora-7
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by aurora-7 »

DefiantClient wrote:I'm not sure where to confirm it, but I believe Enterprise Season 5 that never was, was going to introduce the Kzinti
Yes, I read that somewhere as well.
shiftdel
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by shiftdel »

In the second link of the first post there is all the detail about the unborn 5th season and other Kzinti tries, sadly none was produced.

Return to “General Trek”