USS DISCOVERY vs TOS E THOUGHTS

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Re: USS DISCOVERY vs TOS E THOUGHTS

Postby Tesral » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:13 am

Greyryder wrote:
Tesral wrote:Because while James Tomcat Kirk has the reputation for a woman in every port, the real horny dogs of the Federation are Vulcans.

Only once every seven years.

I would want all I could get.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby nova1972x » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:02 am

patrickivan wrote:
nova1972x wrote:Yeah, what can I say? DIscovery is a hot mess an I don't like any of the ship designs. Totally a case of a studio thinking they know better, and because there are tons of fan designs, the studio is going with completely different, and IMHO, inferior designs of their own, just to be different. When I saw the new "refined" Discovery, I was very underwhelmed. I actually like the concept better, but even then, it was more TMP than TOS and therefore not appropriate for the time frame, assuming this is primeverse. Looking more and more like it is either abramsverse or a reboot every day.

Not a fan of the open sections of the saucer at all. Looks stupid to me.

Had the Shenzhao had naucelles that looked more like the classic TOS or NX Enterprises, I would be down for THAT ship being the Discovery.

A lot of people say that the general viewer would find TOS style ships to be to 60's looking. Even if detailed up and modified.

The thing is, I defy any NON-fan, unfamiliar with Star Trek, to look at say, all the E's and put them in order or when they were designed. And give TOS E more detail and dramatic lighting when doing it.

Oh well... It'll be a good series or not, regardless of being called Star Trek or The Expanse, or BSG...

Well, I think that because the TOS Enterprise is a clean design, as in less hull detail compared to the NX-01, there is an argument that it does look more advanced. IMHO, the only thing that makes the TOS Enterprise dated looking is the deflector dish and lack of nacelle chillers...at least prominently blue ones. I think with the right detailing added to a TOS Enterprise without altering the design itself, you have a point and it could be harder to date it.

SKO
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby SKO » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:30 pm

nova1972x wrote:
patrickivan wrote:
nova1972x wrote:Yeah, what can I say? DIscovery is a hot mess an I don't like any of the ship designs. Totally a case of a studio thinking they know better, and because there are tons of fan designs, the studio is going with completely different, and IMHO, inferior designs of their own, just to be different. When I saw the new "refined" Discovery, I was very underwhelmed. I actually like the concept better, but even then, it was more TMP than TOS and therefore not appropriate for the time frame, assuming this is primeverse. Looking more and more like it is either abramsverse or a reboot every day.

Not a fan of the open sections of the saucer at all. Looks stupid to me.

Had the Shenzhao had naucelles that looked more like the classic TOS or NX Enterprises, I would be down for THAT ship being the Discovery.

A lot of people say that the general viewer would find TOS style ships to be to 60's looking. Even if detailed up and modified.

The thing is, I defy any NON-fan, unfamiliar with Star Trek, to look at say, all the E's and put them in order or when they were designed. And give TOS E more detail and dramatic lighting when doing it.

Oh well... It'll be a good series or not, regardless of being called Star Trek or The Expanse, or BSG...

Well, I think that because the TOS Enterprise is a clean design, as in less hull detail compared to the NX-01, there is an argument that it does look more advanced. IMHO, the only thing that makes the TOS Enterprise dated looking is the deflector dish and lack of nacelle chillers...at least prominently blue ones. I think with the right detailing added to a TOS Enterprise without altering the design itself, you have a point and it could be harder to date it.

Yep. I remember thinking how the NX-01 looked too advanced to be a predecessor to the Constitution class and then in In A Mirror, Darkly we got to see the original Defiant next to a bunch of NX class ships and the show did a magnificent job convincing you the connie was a bigger, badder ship than all of them put together.

But yeah overall I am willing to accept more advanced looking ships, tech, etc (within reason...I am fine with it looking more advanced than TOS, but don't go too far past where Enterprise or make it look more advanced than TNG/DS9/VOY tech). My concerns are the plot of this show sounds terrible and shoehorning in a long lost Spock sibling just to give it unearned weight and a connection to TOS is a terrible idea.

nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby nova1972x » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:28 am

Totally agree with you on the plot! The whole thing sounds poorly executed. Had they said it was a prequel to the JJ verse or reboot/reimagining of star trek a la BSG, I could be a lot more forgiving. Telling fans it is prime verse (lets be clear,the prime verse announcements were targeted specifically towards long time fans...not casual or new potential fans) then giving us what they did, is a total bait and switch. I resent that.

As for the NX appearing ore advanced looking than TOS, it does, but I accept the in universe explanation. Also, I stand by my previous statement above. I would also add that as part of the Berman era, which really was more of a continuation of the TMP era, compared to those ships, the Nx looks less advanced to me.

SKO
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby SKO » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:25 pm

nova1972x wrote:Totally agree with you on the plot! The whole thing sounds poorly executed. Had they said it was a prequel to the JJ verse or reboot/reimagining of star trek a la BSG, I could be a lot more forgiving. Telling fans it is prime verse (lets be clear,the prime verse announcements were targeted specifically towards long time fans...not casual or new potential fans) then giving us what they did, is a total bait and switch. I resent that.

As for the NX appearing ore advanced looking than TOS, it does, but I accept the in universe explanation. Also, I stand by my previous statement above. I would also add that as part of the Berman era, which really was more of a continuation of the TMP era, compared to those ships, the Nx looks less advanced to me.

Yeah in 50 years the Constitution Refit will still look as good as anything sci fi has come up with since. Flawless design (as is, IMO, the sovereign).

nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby nova1972x » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:20 am

The Enterprise-E certainly is a great design. Really, I like all the Enterprises NX through E!

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:23 am

nova1972x wrote:The Enterprise-E certainly is a great design. Really, I like all the Enterprises NX through E!

I consider the B the only bump in the road.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby nova1972x » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:04 am

What's wrong with the B? Not my fav Enterprise, but it was fine to me. Is it because it was an Excelsior class? Or the mods to the Excesior class?

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Postby mophius » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:39 am

Scotty:
Excelsior? Why in God's name would you want that bucket of bolts?

:lol:
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

SKO
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby SKO » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:31 pm

nova1972x wrote:What's wrong with the B? Not my fav Enterprise, but it was fine to me. Is it because it was an Excelsior class? Or the mods to the Excesior class?

I liked the B. For me it's E, C, A/Refit, B, TOS, and then D.

Return to “General Trek”