Delta Flyer 15m or 21m?

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
OdysseySlipways
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Delta Flyer 15m or 21m?

Postby OdysseySlipways » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:35 pm

question of size - is it 15m/49' or 21m/70' i just ask as i saw it originally as 21m but just saw that it's 15m, so i have to ask, what length is it?

right now i'm going with both 15m & 21m and will one of each printed (6mm and 8.4mm).

i'll leave this up in the air until i get the 1 print, after that, i'll need a final size to work with as i am also considering a 350 scale kit and there's a slight difference between 15m and 21m ship ...... in that scale

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: Delta Flyer 15m or 21m?

Postby el gato » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:39 pm

Ex-Astris believes there's enough evidence to support a 21 m size. It is certainly a more realistic size given the sets and what is portrayed on screen. Whether it fits the shuttlebay is another matter. Here's the link to their article if you want to draw your own conclusions.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

OdysseySlipways
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby OdysseySlipways » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:48 pm

lol, that's where i saw the 15m and made me question the length and thanks for posting the link.

i have no problem going with the 21m length, i mean this is the Delta Flyer, not the Tardis, right?

i'll be seeing the 2 prints in the next few days (i guess) as they were being printed last night

jkb-1
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby jkb-1 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:30 am

21m/70 ft it just about the runabout's length. That had a cockpit, dining room/bunkroom, and passageway/mission module. The Delta Flyer has a cockpit, another area? I forget. 1 or 4 coffin-sized lifeboats?

OdysseySlipways
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby OdysseySlipways » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:55 am

so are you saying your for the 21m length?

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:56 pm

jkb-1 wrote:21m/70 ft it just about the runabout's length. That had a cockpit, dining room/bunkroom, and passageway/mission module. The Delta Flyer has a cockpit, another area? I forget. 1 or 4 coffin-sized lifeboats?

Runabouts are 23 m in length. Those extra 6 feet can count for something. :P Also, the cockpit's smaller than the Delta Flyer's (in length, not width, the latter's smaller there). The Delta Flyer also has a pointed nose and fins that give it length but not necessarily space. In contrast, the Runabout is basically bus-shaped, both long and wide. So it could be that the way, ahem, space, is used between two ships makes the Runabout appear larger.

Still, it seems to me that the 23 m length is too small for a Runabout given how it is portrayed having so many "rooms"
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:51 pm

Hollyweird sizing.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:02 pm

Magical sizing syndrome, which afflicts practically every ship and facility not named "Enterprise*" ever seen on any show

* Which can also afflict a ship named "Enterprise" once in a while. See Star Trek V: The Final Frontier and Star Trek Nemesis

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:02 pm

el gato wrote:Magical sizing syndrome, which afflicts practically every ship and facility not named "Enterprise*" ever seen on any show

* Which can also afflict a ship named "Enterprise" once in a while. See Star Trek V: The Final Frontier and Star Trek Nemesis

Or ST: TMP That rec deck would never have fit where they put it.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:30 pm

You're right, of course. I try to block TMP as much as I can from my memory so I don't readily bring up the rec room when discussing the Enterprise's magical sizing syndrome problems. Same with STV, but the flying boots scene on the turbolift shaft is hard to forget

Return to “General Trek”