star trek discovery starfleet size chart

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: star trek discovery starfleet size chart

Post by Griffworks »

'Xactly. You just have to open your mind to the thoughts and opinions of others, stop and think about them, and then true appreciation can begin.

I've tried to stop and consider the opinions of the bashers of TOS thru TNG. Honestly, I have. I just don't understand why it's so important to be so denigrating to something, as well as to have to constantly REPEAT REPEAT REPEAT the same thing over and over and over and over, knowing full well that it's insulting and denigrating to those who've expressed a differing opinion. There's ZERO respect or appreciation shown to what made ST:D available for those folk to enjoy.

And it honestly drives a wedge of dislike deeper and deeper for me to have to constantly read the same ol' stuff about how "bad", "crap", dated", "lame", and "boring". It made me decide to cancel my subscription to ST:D reading this last round of this stuff, both here, at other forums, and on FaceBook Groups. I like the cast, have enjoyed seeing the new designs, and even like ST:D when I consider it an alternate timeline from the Prime - because at it's heart with all the things they've changed, it IS NOT the Prime Timeline. Had they been smart and tried to to change everything, instead going with this being the beginning of the 25th Century, changed these "Klingons" into a whole new race and changed the TOS characters into all new people - Sarek could've been Spock, for instance, and Michael Burnam Spock's adopted daughter - , I would've fully supported the series. They could've even kept the same ship designs - to include the Discoprise - and I would've been fine. It could've been a StarFleet engineering homage to the original Constitution-class, just bigger and with more "less lame" controls.

But between then changing stuff just for the sake of changing, and attitudes like Michelle's with regards to what those people know the "old gumps" (they prolly don't even get that title) think of TOS thru TNG/DS9, I just can't be bothered anymore.

And that's all I've got to say. I won't be coming back and commenting any longer, regardless what anyone else has to say. I no longer care what the opposing view has to say - which is because of what those espousing the opposing view have to say to the rest of us.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
Captain Robert April
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by Captain Robert April »

trekmodelermichelle26 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:03 pm "Captain Robert April"
amt is not correct only eaglemoss sizes are and eaglemoss sizes are what is used plus amt only has the 1/2500 scale discovery the other 2 ships the ent and the shenzhou were to be voted on which one they were going to do and they had to do both of those put in all three scale cause they will only make the scale and ship thet had the most votes
these sizes came from eaglemoss so they are accurate
:shock:

Ooooookay, so is it your contention that PL just made up their size? You know that they do work these things out with the property owner, right? So, again, any figures they have came from CBS, and I just spent several minutes digging around for any dimensions from anyone other than Polar Lights, starting with Eaglemoss (they got nuthin'). These are the only hard numbers within easy reach and are from an official source.

And throwing it to the 1/2500 scale as somehow more accurate isn't helping your case. That one results in a length of 1,588'.
trekmodelermichelle26
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by trekmodelermichelle26 »

Captain Robert April wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:03 pm
trekmodelermichelle26 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:03 pm "Captain Robert April"
amt is not correct only eaglemoss sizes are and eaglemoss sizes are what is used plus amt only has the 1/2500 scale discovery the other 2 ships the ent and the shenzhou were to be voted on which one they were going to do and they had to do both of those put in all three scale cause they will only make the scale and ship thet had the most votes
these sizes came from eaglemoss so they are accurate
:shock:

Ooooookay, so is it your contention that PL just made up their size? You know that they do work these things out with the property owner, right? So, again, any figures they have came from CBS, and I just spent several minutes digging around for any dimensions from anyone other than Polar Lights, starting with Eaglemoss (they got nuthin'). These are the only hard numbers within easy reach and are from an official source.

And throwing it to the 1/2500 scale as somehow more accurate isn't helping your case. That one results in a length of 1,588'.
i dont even bother with actuall model kit company kits that much anymore i tend to stick with 3d printed kits more as they are cheaper and easier to get then a amt/revell /polar lights kit is
ProfArturo
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by ProfArturo »

SKO wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:35 pm
Griffworks wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:27 pm and "dated"... and "lame"... "and boring"....
you know when I was younger I thought the Constitution looked like a cheap toy rocketship completely unworthy of sharing a name with the Sovereign class Enterprise-E.

And then I got older and I focused less on special effects and space battles and more on plots, and characters, and ideals, and I appreciated TOS more and then I also started to notice just how clean the lines are on the Connie, how perfectly proportioned she is, the ways in which she's closer to her successors than you the untrained eye might think. I finally built one last year and I love it, and when my son is begging to play with my starships surprisingly enough to me that's the one he always begs for. The more life gets crazy the more you can appreciate simplicity, I think.
I certainly noticed when I built my Enterprise E just how many little design cues there are which link back to the original.
WarpNein
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by WarpNein »

SKO wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:12 pm I'm not gonna agree with everything WarpNein said (this lefty loved The Last Jedi and believe me I've seen A New Hope several hundred times) but the point about the Brand being what matters is the problem, but it's not that millennial audiences only care about Brand Names or whatever, it's that studios think they can slap those names on anything without doing the work.
Didn't I say that about James Bond and Black Panther?

I can ignore the sequels to a point, but they have a problem similar to what you described with Discovery. Rather than risk telling a new story with just new characters, the sequels had to put the old fans in the seats by also promising us a reunion with the old characters and a further conclusion to their overall stories which ended up being, at least as far as I'm concerned, deeply disappointing. It also undermined all of their sacrifices in the OT because at some point in the intervening 30 years the entire galactic sociopolitical order reverts to A New Hope. So the sequels do impact the originals even though they're set chronologically later, because I now know where these people ended up and the ultimate result of all their struggles I grew up watching, and the answers are nowhere and nothing. And the real irony is that the new characters don't get treated any better.

I'll add another of Hollywood's follies, which is courting and fanning controversy as a form of marketing. The Ghostbusters remake was an example of this. It didn't really resonate with me at the time because I'm not a fan of the series but in hindsight a blind man could have seen it. Suggest that everyone who takes issue with the film is a misogynist, then sell the movie not because it's good but because seeing it consitutes an act of defiance to those basement dwelling women-haters. This is marketing at its most cynical, exploitative and damaging, and whomever it occurred to should be incarcerated. The same thing was done with TLJ. Those of us who disliked the film were painted as misogynists (not necessarily by you personally, but that was the media's angle). As if we didn't already have loads of strong females to judge the likes of Rey, Holdo and Phasma against. I grew up with Ellen Ripley, Sarah Connor, Kathryn Janeway, Sarah Kerrigan. No one in TLJ gets close to those precedents. The sad thing is they won't now be given the opportunity. Holdo and Phasma are dead, and I really wish they weren't. I bet JJ does too.
SKO
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by SKO »

WarpNein wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:17 pm
SKO wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:12 pm I'm not gonna agree with everything WarpNein said (this lefty loved The Last Jedi and believe me I've seen A New Hope several hundred times) but the point about the Brand being what matters is the problem, but it's not that millennial audiences only care about Brand Names or whatever, it's that studios think they can slap those names on anything without doing the work.
Didn't I say that about James Bond and Black Panther?

I can ignore the sequels to a point, but they have a problem similar to what you described with Discovery. Rather than risk telling a new story with just new characters, the sequels had to put the old fans in the seats by also promising us a reunion with the old characters and a further conclusion to their overall stories which ended up being, at least as far as I'm concerned, deeply disappointing. It also undermined all of their sacrifices in the OT because at some point in the intervening 30 years the entire galactic sociopolitical order reverts to A New Hope. So the sequels do impact the originals even though they're set chronologically later, because I now know where these people ended up and the ultimate result of all their struggles I grew up watching, and the answers are nowhere and nothing. And the real irony is that the new characters don't get treated any better.

I'll add another of Hollywood's follies, which is courting and fanning controversy as a form of marketing. The Ghostbusters remake was an example of this. It didn't really resonate with me at the time because I'm not a fan of the series but in hindsight a blind man could have seen it. Suggest that everyone who takes issue with the film is a misogynist, then sell the movie not because it's good but because seeing it consitutes an act of defiance to those basement dwelling women-haters. This is marketing at its most cynical, exploitative and damaging, and whomever it occurred to should be incarcerated. The same thing was done with TLJ. Those of us who disliked the film were painted as misogynists (not necessarily by you personally, but that was the media's angle). As if we didn't already have loads of strong females to judge the likes of Rey, Holdo and Phasma against. I grew up with Ellen Ripley, Sarah Connor, Kathryn Janeway, Sarah Kerrigan. No one in TLJ gets close to those precedents. The sad thing is they won't now be given the opportunity. Holdo and Phasma are dead, and I really wish they weren't. I bet JJ does too.
Ha I'm not going to argue with anyone about the Last Jedi anymore because it doesn't take long for the knives to come out and no one yet has ever changed their mind. Suffice it to say I disagree and we'll leave it at that.

I suppose my point more was that I can treat Star Wars sequels the same way I used to treat the old expanded universe novels and much the same way I treat basically all of the Trek novels set after Nemesis. That's one person's idea of what happened next and I can take it or leave but it doesn't mess with what I know for sure already happened. Discovery is now going back and telling me the Klingons I remember? Weren't like that. The ships I remember? Didn't look like that. That's harder for me to ignore and seems more disrespectful of old fans. It's not disrespectful to fans of the OT of Star Wars to try and continue the adventures of Luke, Leia and Han knowing you're never going to please everybody. It is disrespectful in my opinion to go back and re-write the entire Original Series era and then tell you you're just a crybaby if you object to having the stories you've held onto for as many as 50 years for some people don't matter anymore, and that this is what ACTUALLY happened.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

mophius wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:25 pm I still enjoy watching all series although I haven't seen TAS yet.
TAS tries really really hard.

Positive: The writing did not cheapen. Animation means you can get really creative with set design and aliens.

Negative.
1: Half hour format. Even the good episodes come across as a touch rushed. BUT
2: The timing is spacy. The main actors were literally phoning it in, not all in the studio together.
3: Filmation was cheap and it shows. Better animated than Clutch Cargo at least.

It is worth having for completeness, and yes in spite of the handicaps some of the episodes are good Trek. For us ancient dinosaurs that like a Trek with a positive and optimistic outlook,. not all dark and scary.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by patrickivan »

I miss one full day and you guys add 3 pages?! Without me? :(

:lol:
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

That’s what you get for missing staff meetings....

:D
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

patrickivan wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:55 am I miss one full day and you guys add 3 pages?! Without me? :(

:lol:
And you have been picked to run the board Christmas party.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Return to “General Trek”