Just how powerful do you think Q is?

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
The Eye of Error
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Just how powerful do you think Q is?

Post by The Eye of Error » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:25 pm

Here's the thing, I wonder just how powerful Q is. Can he really do anything he wants or are most of his powers just extremely elaborate illusions?

We know for a fact he's ageless, noncorporeal, can transport objects far through space, teleport, etc.

We also know that he can assume human form and conceive naturally. Which begs the question, if they can just self reproduce why would he need to create a child with another Q when his power's / DNA should be enough?

But would he be able to lets say create an entire new race of sentient creatures. Or "birth" into existence a "real" human that can then grow old, age, die, etc.

Q mentioned that the Continuum was mortal at one point and they evolved into the beings they are today, much like he alleges humans will in the distant future. This means they did not create the universe and are not God if God exists.This being said, are some of the Q gods on other planets? Would the continuum if they merged into one being be able to perform "godlike" powers.

Well, let's discuss. I'd love to hear your take.

Tesral
Bear with me
Bear with me

Re: Just how powerful do you think Q is?

Post by Tesral » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:51 pm

He has the power of plot.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

steelfox
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by steelfox » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:11 am

Find and Read the Novel "Q in Law" by Peter David.

If you want to take it as canon (and there is nothing glaringly wrong in it not to) then it answers most (all?) of your questions.

Putting aside the idea of a Judaic/Christian singular God: Yes they are essentially gods with the power to create anything including a seperate & reproducing species of life.

All this being on the Other Side of the Star Trek Fourth Wall.

On this side, Messr Tesral nailed it.

;)

Da Fox :D

TrekMD
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by TrekMD » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:22 pm

Tesral wrote:He has the power of plot.
Best explanation ever.

All kidding aside, it does appear the Q are rather powerful. Even if they are evolved beings, they are powerful enough to appear omnipotent and omnipresent to your average "mortal" being.
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Post by Moongrim » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:47 pm

It's difficult to gauge. He did have the ability to alter a 'moon's orbit, and what appears to allow time travel or cross timestreams at will. And he can apparently create simulacrum indistinguishable from 'real' folks.
It's difficult in that he appears to be more of a stage magician than a God-let.

We see him snap his fingers- and 'boom'!, the results occur. What we don't see is his misdirection keeping us from observing the real efforts. Apparently such involves tremendous amounts of power (due to the photonic flash) of which no one has apparently thought to get a spectroscope reading.

For all we know, in the Star Trek Universe becoming 'uplifted' similar to what the Organians are/were does not automatically confer the upliftee either immortality or infinite power. Congratulations- you've achieved the Eagle Merit badge uplift to incorporeality (sp?), now you're gonna have to decide to either pursue the Immortality Merit Badge or the Omniscient Merit Badge.

And there are degrees of infinity. Lesser and greater infinity. And we have no way of knowing what effects such localised actions had on the greater whole.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

steelfox
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by steelfox » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:23 am

We see him snap his fingers- and 'boom'!, the results occur. What we don't see is his misdirection keeping us from observing the real efforts. Apparently such involves tremendous amounts of power (due to the photonic flash) of which no one has apparently thought to get a spectroscope reading.
Actually the finger snap and 'Photonic Flash' probably aren't a mechanical part of his power.
If nothing else, He/They are Energy Beings and don't actually have fingers anymore.
:mrgreen:

Also, the Q girl raised as a human didn't cause any strobic affects when she created her puppies and what not.

Q (the Individual) is something of a show-off so its more for show than affect.
More so "SPFX" to make it look good than misdirection.

Just remembered, read Q-Squared (also by Peter David) it expands on the Continuum and brings back an old "acquaintance" of the Enterprise.

Da Fox :D

Tesral
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Tesral » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:07 am

I consider Q a plot driver for lazy writers.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:55 pm

steelfox wrote:Also, the Q girl raised as a human didn't cause any strobic affects when she created her puppies and what not.

Q (the Individual) is something of a show-off so its more for show than affect.
More so "SPFX" to make it look good than misdirection.
The Corbin Bensen Q was also very understated, so there's something else to support your point that the John de Lancie Q has a certain flair for showmanship. Anyone remember whether the Redhead Q (forgot the actress' name) who appeared on Voyager did anything overtly fancy except demonstrate a red belt-level proficiency in sarcasm and dry humor?
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

jkb-1
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by jkb-1 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:47 am

How can you forget the actress's name? She was... um... she was also Worf's Klingon girlfriend, B'somethingorother. Oh, I got it now: Suzy (with the Z) Plak Tow.

I did like Corbin Bernstein, it was like his and John de Lancie's Q shared the same mind.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:28 pm

Suzy Plaksen! Thank you, yes her.

Believe me, the amount of senior moments I'm getting lately are starting to scare me :o
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “General Trek”