AST Donation / Special Group Poll

The place for new forum requests, suggestions, bug reports and other issues relating to AST.

How do you feel if we have a donation scheme with bronze, silver, gold membership?

It's a GOOD idea!
73%
It's a BAD idea!
27%

Total votes: 15

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

AST Donation / Special Group Poll

Postby Xen » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:26 pm

I've been considering adding a donation button to help pay the bills. Whereas I'm happy to pay out of my pocket each month, extra funds would help. It could be put towards hosting and development, but also for an extra special prize for our contests. As a "thank you", donators would get a new custom rank title, rank logo and color for their username. I'd break it down into three levels, depending on the amount donated. Bronze: $1-$10, Silver: $11-$25 and Gold: $26+

I have concerns that any donations group might cause the regulars that don't wish to/can't donate, to feel unwanted. Worse still, the majority might view such a group as elitist. If that's the case, I'd rather avoid it altogether. I am curious though, so I appreciate it if you could share your thoughts and vote.

SingleMind
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: AST Donation / Special Group Poll

Postby SingleMind » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:00 am

I say it would be an ok idea if it was anonymous. That would avoid the elitist mentality I would think.
Confidence - that feeling you get right before you fully understand the situation.

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:33 am

I'll second that. I would gladly support the site. I don't need bennies.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

TrekMD
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby TrekMD » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:58 pm

There are forums that have this type of set up where donors get badges and it seems to work just fine. Haven't really seen people have an elitist behavior because they've donated, though I can see it as a valid concern. Some sites just give perks to those members who donate (e.g., larger avatar, larger inbox for PM's, etc.) and identify them as supporters without using levels. In the end, there are several ways of doing it. You just have to choose one and give it a try.
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...

curt
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby curt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:59 pm

Alot of sites I am on do this. And it dosent mater to me how you set it up. I feel that if a person can donate that they should be reccognized somehow. If they want to remaine annonymas thats their choice as well.

Cant wait to see what you do.

Curt

harristotle
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby harristotle » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:46 pm

I agree, with what people have said above. No need to single out. If I have the ability to donate, I don't need people besides you Xen to know that I did.
"I'm your huckleberry"

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Postby Xen » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:27 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am pondering. :innocent:

In my opinion, folks that donate should have extra perks. However, perhaps offer the perks, but make it optional? They can state if they prefer to remain anonymous (or not), when the donation is sent. How do I "reward" those who want public perks and have donated larger amounts? Shouldn't they receive extra perks for a larger donation? Yes/No?

AST probably gets enough hits each month to have ads pay the bills. I hate ads though, so there's no chance of that happening. ;) I like a clean, uncluttered look. :geek:

Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Postby Del » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:06 am

Speaking as a member of Keeper of the Force (Star Wars forum), I can say that the way they do it is if you make a donation, your screen name is a different color - that's it - nothing else. Not everyone is rich, so no one knows who donated how much. As far as donations go, everyone is equal. I don't think it's a good idea to have levels of donations because then people may feel pressured to donate more, and feel inadequate if they can't. Even keeping it simple, some folks will feel bad if they are unable to contribute.

If Xen decides to do this, remember that donating is wonderful because it will help to keep this great place alive. But pay your bills, put gas in the car, and feed your family FIRST. Nothing else is as important. Don't feel bad if you are in a financial situation which prevents you from donating. ;)
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Producing kits previously sold thru Ravenstar, Novahobbies, Fantastic Plastic, NorthTrek Creations, and more!

Return to “Support & Feedback”