Backup, backup, backup

The place for forum help, reporting bugs and other issues relating to AST.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Backup, backup, backup

Post by Tesral »

Xen. How big is a backup of AST? I'd be willing to hold onto 50-70 gig easy. I could be talked onto more even if we had to snail mail a USB stick or SD card around.

As was pointed out in the Photobucket thread, this is a valuable resource,. I am of the option that there should be off site unconnected backups that you, or a successor, could call on.

I am also of the opinion that I should not be "it". Pass the data around. Sure I'm a reliable guy, but if something happened and my wife did not know of the magic chip? The forum is screwed, but only if I am the only backup.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Re: Backup, backup, backup

Post by MEATLOAFr »

Tesral wrote:Xen. How big is a backup of AST? I'd be willing to hold onto 50-70 gig easy. I could be talked onto more even if we had to snail mail a USB stick or SD card around.

As was pointed out in the Photobucket thread, this is a valuable resource,. I am of the option that there should be off site unconnected backups that you, or a successor, could call on.

I am also of the opinion that I should not be "it". Pass the data around. Sure I'm a reliable guy, but if something happened and my wife did not know of the magic chip? The forum is screwed, but only if I am the only backup.
I agree, this is a valuable resource, does the host server have any back-up options? On-site (same servers) or (more preferable) an off-site one?

If needed I could hold a chunk of my 2TB external drive as a back-up location, maybe once a month do a site save?
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen »

yes, the host backs up daily. every 5 hours i think.

i have never called upon their services for such as i have always done my own backups.

as mentioned in another post, that is one of the reasons why ast came about. the lack of being able to preserve existing and ongoing data at ten-12 felt made it feel like a wasted effort in the end.

i asked invisionfree to provide db access, or a way to bring that data over here, so that 8 years worth of 2004-2012. no reply, and i'm guessing no interest from their side.

as for ast, this subject requires a ponder with a clear head and some more sleep. contacting a few folks, including some of the members here.

lastly, to all; please pm me instead if you have anything you need an answer to. it is easier for me to read and reply these days than scanning posts.

even if you include links or quotes from posts, it will help me out a lot.
feldon30
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Post by feldon30 »

InvisionFree used to offer a database download if you paid a certain price based on the size of the data. Do they no longer offer that?

Over the years, I have developed a set of tools which allow me to "scrape" the contents of a Forum and import it into another forum. I have needed to download the contents of several forums and preserve or relocate them. Mostly due to uncooperative "hosted" forums.

Return to “Help & Contact”