AST Financial Support - the way ahead

Forum rules, site updates and general news.
Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Re: AST Financial Support - the way ahead

Postby Tesral » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:34 am

NoKhando wrote:T-shirts . I don't know if I speak for a large demographic of AST (but I suspect I do ..) , but my days of looking good in one are long gone . :cry:
Mugs would be nice , but a different one every year ? Porcelain's heavy which puts off your supporters who have to pay international postage .

More than pleased to support the forum where I can , but I'd be happy with a membership card/badge that gets me a discount from supporting suppliers , or some some exclusive decals only available to members . More model related stuff in any case .

Bob for the mighty 10-Twelve had a page were you had a logo and could could stamp on many products. T-shirts, polo shirt, mugs magnets, and so forth. I can't remember the site dang it. The seller sets the markup. The buyer decides on which product they want.

Me? I have too many clothes. A shirt in means a shirt out. I have too many mugs. I bought a magnet for my toolbox and there is still is.

One thing I would like to do for Wonderfest is AST badges to identify each other. Lets face it we know the models much better than the faces.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:02 am

Don't you mean we know the avatars better than the faces and the handles better than the names?
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Postby Xen » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:38 pm

Bob for the mighty 10-Twelve had a page were you had a logo and could could stamp on many products. T-shirts, polo shirt, mugs magnets, and so forth. I can't remember the site dang it. The seller sets the markup. The buyer decides on which product they want.

that sounds like cafe press. old school. now there must be tons of produce on demand.

i just wish shapeways would take my 2d art, turn it into 3d files and print on demand. that would be cool.

the internet seems to have everything but that.

Don't you mean we know the avatars better than the faces and the handles better than the names?

on this laptop my bear is a tiny stuffed white 'thing'. i would have to have a 'stunning fuchsia' vinyl cut logo from loafr. i thought little colored tng sized plastic delta 'comm's', with a metal border would look good.

anything clothing and hobby related, go with humor. there are so many jokes that hobbyists would understand. they would all be stolen from plagiarizing so and so's, but humor usually sells well.

silhouettes with allscaltrek.com or ast repeated as a pattern like wallpaper.

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:05 pm

Xen wrote:

that sounds like cafe press. old school. now there must be tons of produce on demand.

i just wish shapeways would take my 2d art, turn it into 3d files and print on demand. that would be cool.

the internet seems to have everything but that.

cafepress.com indeed, it is still there.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby kobayashimaru » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:35 pm

@xen,
3D-from-2D AGI-assisted CAD is still highly experimental :lol: we're workin' on it capn,
though you're ahead of the :borg: on that
dang though, I'd have to agree, seeing some of those as 1:4848.48'' stuff to bitzbash would be awesome.

you know what else would be awesome related to that?
"Hey, computer, can you show me nCr based on the input sketch?" (enter AGI-GAH stuff).

-----
@all
I wish I were in a position to be able to more meaningfully assist on these,
unfortunately, I am not in a position at present-time to be able to fiscally assist.
there's nothing wrong with asking for support and brainstorming, these are realities in order to keep the awesomeness of AST alive.
the penfriends I've made here at AST, all the stuff I've learned, the chats...
I wouldn't trade that for anything :lol:

that said,
I look forward to AST's own 'events' and 'workshops', as well as E-conferences/conventions etc.
cyberconference logistics can be tricky, though... they're a great way to have more inclusive conferences hehe.
that could be a way to positive-gear from the admittance or sidepanels etc.
cause, let's face it; there are some conventions where, if some vendors weren't there, I wouldn't bother with the 'convention' itself. a number of comics-conventions and model-tradeshow fairs etc are like that...

I recommend having spoken with some of the 'silent visitors' to AST,
some of whom are in their dayjobs
financial planners, logistics officer, futures-actuariliasts, philanthropic warrant officers, and doctors etc.
that we consider "Usuary, Bursary, Annuities and Actuarials" :lol:
there are some options out there from Freethinkers Societies, LAN Clubs, Tertiary Providers, and some beliefs etc,
which AST may be able to avail itself of.
each hypothetically has its own Cost-V-Benefit prospectus and requirements to determining the overall merit of said 'opportunity' it seems a common KPI or compliance feature is "embedded Volunteer program" etc.

as to partnership opportunities with model-vendors etc,
there are several, such as HLJ, several bricks-n-mortar Bandai Crystal-Premium gashapon vendors etc,
not to mention R2 etc.
that's "just" the model-itself, electronics and lighting, infomechatronics etc,
those are STEM-orientated facets to the hobby, which are also related to the RapFab/3D-forming community...
ThisWeekInTech, 8bitguy forums, Minds, AGIfora etc, they've expressed interest in forming STEM-pathway partnerships.

all of that will also entail a contemplation of what pathway AST wants to avail itself of;
NFP(501c/f), more formal partnerships etc, or informal etc.

in the meantime, there are certainly crowdfunding for just-in-time events etc,
one-off pay-as-you-can is awesome when folks are able to, it all cumulatively adds up.
and I can certainly print-off flyers and leave those on bulletin boards at various locales
(bookshop, computer store, LAN Society, Secondary&Tertiary, art gallery etc)
the turnaround and incidence rate tends to be ~3weeks to ~20% of target across ~20 venues in this locale.
(where 'target' is 'bakesale" ballpark or pie-drive/Sausage-Sizzle).
If we had a clearer target ballpark... we could more readily mobilize,
as AST has members on 6 continents and 40+countries represented hehe.

-----
I hope these are some ideas and avenues that folks haven't considered,
you'll be surprised what networking-brainstorming can come up with.
and that the awesomeness which is AST continues long into the future.

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby kobayashimaru » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:37 am

As for Convention Nametags,
I have a rudimentary sketch based on the NameTagHolder (Marbig or whichever standard business-card-holder you have);

astconv.png
astconv.png (50.47 KiB) Viewed 538 times

Above: crude mud-sketch of a nametag.

The right-hand-side can have a QR-code direct to up to 254 art gallery indexes,
(more with Q-Dotler dbs)
so if you're wearing 'smart glasses' or have the smartphone QRapp, it will take you directly to their gallery/s in real time.
The QR-layer can be screen-printed onto an OHT-transparency 'decal-applique",
or, if you have the new mLED backlit nametags, leave that panel transparent.

Modders, galleries, and Comic-Artists use this to have different art-galleries visible at different parts of the convention,
and if you cumulatively unlock the other ones, you get a sneakpeek at the upcoming game or art stuff.
(cumulative token formation biometrics).
conversely, this can also be used to keep biometric tabs on Honors Students you have sent to a convention to attend particular sidepanels etc, to "enhance their overall convention participation".
combined with a pedometer and multiple QR-readers etc, it can very much increase overall 'circulation'.

-----
If you opt for a "comm-badge" AST nametag holder,
that'd be awesome also! if it were ST:Voy or TMP style, those 'wings' could house the QR-code etc.

arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby arcticfox » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:55 pm

What about something like Patreon or gofundme? Forgive me if that's already been mentioned...

RogueWolf
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Postby RogueWolf » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:54 pm

The T-Shirt/mug thing isn't going as smoothly as I had anticipated... right now for the short term, I may resort to something else to raise funds for the site bills... more to come on that shortly...
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis

RogueWolf

Postby RogueWolf » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:21 pm

trying something different...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4879
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp