Re-Entering the World of Trek Modeling + Dilemma!

New to the forum? Tell us a little about yourself and what you collect here.
michelalano
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Re-Entering the World of Trek Modeling + Dilemma!

Post by michelalano »

Hello all. I've posted a few times but realized I never given a proper introduction. I'm a 33 year old guy living in NYC for 8 years. When I moved here, I sold all my models, many unbuilt, because I needed the money and didn't have the space for them here. I would list them out but I basically had all of the amt/ertl trek models before polar lights and round 2 started reproducing them.

2 years ago I impulse-bought the 1/350 Refit model by Polar Lights even though I didn't have any of my paints or supplies, much less a space to build such a huge model. It still sits in the box today. But in the meantime I have slowly repopulated my collection of trek models, including most of the 2500 and 1000 scale offerings. Here's a list of what I have:

2500 scale Cadet Series, Enterprises TOS, A, B, C, D, E, Reliant, and K'Tinga
1000 scale NX-01, TOS, Refit, Reliant, Excelsior, Enterprise B
1400 scale Enterprises D and E
537 scale Enterprise and Reliant (original issues)
350 scale Refit

The only model that survived from my childhood is the Enterprise D which I am currently stripping and repainting. I hope to post a thread soon because I'm really happy with the progress.

Here's my dilemma: I go back and forth from wanting to do a simple build to capture the nostalgia of my childhood, and wanting to go all out on a professional level lighted model. What models are best for lighting? I'm assuming larger models provide more room for wiring innards but I know the 537 scale models I have can be "problematic" for a number of reasons. I'm also a bit OCD so I have the urge for everything to "match." In other words, if I do lighting and aztecing on one model I would want a similar quality in the others, at least of those in the same scale. Of course, this is just me being a weirdo.

I guess that wraps it up for now. I'm happy to be part of this community and see all the other work going on. Modeling has brought back a lot of memories and it acts as stress relief for me. Expect a lot of newbie questions from me!
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Re: Re-Entering the World of Trek Modeling + Dilemma!

Post by mophius »

Welcome to AST. Looking forwards to some eye candy
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Welcome aboard Michalalano!

As to the lighting- the 537 and the 350 scale ones are the best to work with when it comes to lighting them up. As I recall the 350 Enterprise TOS version- comes with a lighting kit for it as well.
https://www.culttvmanshop.com/Classic-En ... _2376.html

The 537 versions - some have made light kits/parts for them as well
Don's Light and Magic for instance: https://www.dlmparts.com/amtrefitreliant ... scale.html

Though when it comes to lighting- a few folks are dedicated enough to light up a 1/1000 scale kit, and the occasional 1/1400 kit as well. And one or two industrious individuals have lit up 1/2500 scale kits.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

Welcome back to the modeling fold Michalalano!
We crewmembers of the good ship AST welcome you heartily!
Please avail yourself of the open bar on the quarterdeck, thin crust and deep dish pizza in the officers mess, and a delightful selection of locally handcrafted artisanal cheeses and crackers in the hold.
Oh, and lest I forget, here's a toothpick so you can try a few of Moongrim's fantastic cocktail weanies.
They really are quite special.
Later on you are invited to attend the evening's modeling entertainment involving some truly unusual kitbashes, made all the more unusual by the tipsy state of the participants.
This will be held amidships just aft of the mainmast.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Welcome to AST!

In terms of your dilemma, you can light any ship if you have the skills/confidence/eyesight/bravado/insanity (check out some of the lit ones in the 2500 forum). But if you're just beginning or are not sure how crazy you are, then the bigger the scale the better off you are. The 350 scale kits were engineered to allow for lighting
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
michelalano

Post by michelalano »

el gato wrote:The 350 scale kits were engineered to allow for lighting
True! I intend to go ALL OUT on my 350 Refit. But that may be years from now.

Currently I'm starting work on the 1/1000 NX and the 1/1000 TOS simultaneously so I can work on one while the other is drying, etc. I promised myself they would be simple quick builds just to get back into the game. But the NX-01 has so many clear parts, moulded windows, and even grooves in the pylons where wiring would go. It's like it was MADE for lighting just to taunt me. But even a model of this size would go from a week-long build to months long pretty quick. Still, this may be the one I try to light up first.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

michelalano wrote:
el gato wrote:The 350 scale kits were engineered to allow for lighting
True! I intend to go ALL OUT on my 350 Refit. But that may be years from now.

Currently I'm starting work on the 1/1000 NX and the 1/1000 TOS simultaneously so I can work on one while the other is drying, etc. I promised myself they would be simple quick builds just to get back into the game. But the NX-01 has so many clear parts, moulded windows, and even grooves in the pylons where wiring would go. It's like it was MADE for lighting just to taunt me. But even a model of this size would go from a week-long build to months long pretty quick. Still, this may be the one I try to light up first.
Pace yourself. Allow yourself to fail and don't beat yourself up, if you don't get things done as quickly as you'd desire.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
michelalano

Post by michelalano »

Moongrim wrote: Pace yourself. Allow yourself to fail and don't beat yourself up, if you don't get things done as quickly as you'd desire.
Currently decaling some 2500 ships to pace myself and build up a tolerance for pain. :lol:
asmcelhinney
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by asmcelhinney »

Although not everyone's cup of tea the Revell kits are good for lighting, the TOS Enterprise, D-7 and JJprise ate all decent sized ships with plenty of room and decent clear window inserts etc.

If I were you I'd have two speeds of build in mind: the (more or less) 'out of the box' (oob) build and the involved build. Make sure you finish something every now and then cos starting and planing large builds with lighting will often leave you with multiple unfinished kits and a sinking feeling!
"No matter where you go, there you are."

My fledgling YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/PapanurgleForums
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Welcome aboard, pal! Don't worry just have some fun!

:)
Thanks,

Yan.

Return to “Introductions”