Best Way to handle small windows when building

Tools and techniques used for preparation and assembly.
Willis
Candid Cadet
Candid Cadet

Best Way to handle small windows when building

Post by Willis »

My first post, and apologies if a dumb question but :

on any ST model there are small windows that would need to be masked if you were to build, than paint the model. Some people paint then build, but the issue would of course be the necessary seam filling that plagues assembly of most ST models.

What do most people do? 1) Build, then mask the windows, and then paint or 2) Paint, then build, and putty and paint again?

Thanks!
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: Best Way to handle small windows when building

Post by Moongrim »

Willis wrote:My first post, and apologies if a dumb question but :

on any ST model there are small windows that would need to be masked if you were to build, than paint the model. Some people paint then build, but the issue would of course be the necessary seam filling that plagues assembly of most ST models.

What do most people do? 1) Build, then mask the windows, and then paint or 2) Paint, then build, and putty and paint again?

Thanks!
A bit of both.
Build- paint over everything with a base coat. then go back, and paint the windows I want 'lit' up- mask over those. and do the final coat. Remove masks.
Invariably either way, involves touch ups. Even when I can keep my hands steady enough to paint a window inevitably a myoclonic jerk occurs and I need to touch up the window. The nice thing about touching up a window is that I can usually keep my hands steady enough to paint around the window I've made a mistake on.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

I think you're right, Moongrim it is a bit of both.

Some models kinda lend themselves to painting and then building and others the opposite.

Some models are a bit of both.

I did a TOS 1/650 Enterprise where I painted the nacelles and then stuck them on an unpainted model. I had to mask the nacelles everytime I needed to paint something else, so much so that I finally left them masked until the final clear coat! It's more of let the model tell you what it needs rather than try to stick to one approach.

Just thinking on paper, Willis (so to speak!)

But as far as windows, my current project I placed opaque plastic on the interior of the windows and in order for the plastic to not be painted, I will have to mask each window with painter's mask; a liquid that dries to a semi-solid state that I can pick out after final painting! This is just one approach.

Good Luck!

Steve
Willis
Candid Cadet
Candid Cadet

Post by Willis »

Thanks for you advice !
Julien
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Julien »

Bit of both depending on the situation...

But I always prefer to paint after assembly...

As for small (and not so small) windows, I usually go for the white glue trick, like that, no need to worry about masking...

You basically assemble and paint everything and on the last step, you fill the windows with white glue.

That's I did with my Revell Klingon D-7 :
revell-d7-196.jpg
The Belgian Builder
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Looks great!

:)
Thanks,

Yan.