Aztek Dummy Question

Tools and techniques used for preparation and assembly.
scaddude
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Aztek Dummy Question

Post by scaddude »

After all these years, I've finally decided to give aztec templates a try. I just found a video from 4 years ago warning about the incredible stickiness of Aztek Dummy. So, I was curious: Is this still the case? Have they improved or should I move on? I was looking at their sets for all the Enterprise, B, Excelsior, Reliant, NX, and JJ-Prise.

Thoughts? I know Orbital Drydock has a set as well, but not for the same ones.
"If nothing we do matters, all that matters is what we do..."
Julien
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: Aztek Dummy Question

Post by Julien »

Hi,
Yep, nowadays Lou (aka AztekDummy) uses yellow vinyl which is a lot less sticky than what he was using before.

Basically, the masks are black, be careful as they are the older version, but if they are yellow is all good.

Still, be careful using them, let the paint cure completely and do a quick gloss coat before using the masks.
The Belgian Builder
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Julien wrote:Hi,
Yep, nowadays Lou (aka AztekDummy) uses yellow vinyl which is a lot less sticky than what he was using before.

Basically, the masks are black, be careful as they are the older version, but if they are yellow is all good.

Still, be careful using them, let the paint cure completely and do a quick gloss coat before using the masks.
Good advice.
When removing said masks- be VERY patient. I use a NEW X-acto blade (with handle) to ccccaaareefully nudge up a corner of the mask and gently tug it up off of the model with a set of fine point tweezers. Be sure to keep a set of bottles containing the pigments you're using for touch ups.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
scaddude
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by scaddude »

Thanks gang! Good to know.
"If nothing we do matters, all that matters is what we do..."
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

scaddude wrote:Thanks gang! Good to know.
yes, we spread the knowledge like the smell of a dead skunk on the road (you make not know where it's coming from, but you know it when you smell it) :lol:

If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!

Return to “Construction”