Recommendations for Klingon and Romulan Green

Painting methods, display options and general tweaks.
jkb-1
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: Recommendations for Klingon and Romulan Green

Postby jkb-1 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:20 am

Sorry, that's not my paint job. That's a Johnny Lightning from back when. It seems to be even lighter than the Gull Gray I use on the top of my Romulan BoPs.

(It's copyright 2004, the same as the Polar Lights 1000th kit, but despite the research put into that, there's no hint of purple/green or a two-tone scheme on this.)

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby zookman » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:33 am

http://atomiccity.yuku.com/topic/528/Th ... erry-Model

http://www.swannysmodels.com/yabb2/YaBB ... 1347163816

zook wrote on 09/10/12 at 4:51pm:

whatcolors are those ya used or a close aproximation for us that use say tamiya paints mostly ..... i read about the colors used on the studio model but never realy got a good clear pic of the actual studio model ... might have to try and match the colors you used when i do one of the old amt kits or the new repops from polar lights which are supposed to be a better and more accurate than the originals lol

The colors used were Floquil Railroad Enamels, custom mixed, matched to original color samples taken from one of the original filming miniatures.

The green was made from:
Reefer White
NYC Jade Green
Depot Olive
Conrail Blue

The gray was made from:
Reefer White
CSX Gray
Signal Red
Conrail Blue

Detail areas:
Silver: Floquil Platinum Mist
Red: Model Master Insignia Red
Gold: Model Master Brass

or this formula for the grey color if using testors model master paints

The paint formula that came with the painting instructions for your kit states the upper portions are:
20% Napoleonic Violet
40% Light Ghost Grey
40% Medium Grey
When mixed, it definately has a light violet hue to it, very much like the "Roddenberry" model photos.

but its your model so your colors can be whatever ya want so that it looks right to you .. realy hard to say what the colors realy are since colors can vary on everyone monitors and even in pics .. only way to tell would be to see the filming model in real life but thats been restored and painted in only 1 gray color since the restoration crew painter wasnt told or showed how it looked originaly after body work was repaired and what with what he say on screen

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:56 am

Just so y'all know, Emerald Green and Metallic Jade Green don't work as a good Rommie color. Emerald is too dark and Jade is too green
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:47 pm

My wife has a guide to painting horses. It gives recipes for how to mix various horse colors. In that case the usual colors found in the palette of artists' oil or acrylic paints.

I think that we need a similar guide expressed in "parts" so you can mix as much or as little as needed. Recipes should stick to one manufacturer. Multiple recipes for different manufactures are not a bad thing.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:57 pm

That's an excellent idea, Tesral! We should do something similar. That was the reason for this thread: Why reinvent the wheel. If someone already has a winning color combination, share it. If people are interested in replicating what you did, then they have the info they need to do so.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby zookman » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:58 pm

hmmm i posted a pic of the colors used on the studio model and the color ratios used to make the colors seperate posts and is another mix ratio for the darker gray/purple .... i havnt tested them yet but they are posted herea few posts back

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:32 pm

I saw it :) I'll test the ratios this weekend and will post the results.

In terms of the general discussion about painting, I think your post should be the first in implementing Tesral's idea. Here is the color scheme for the D7 filming model.

The second will be my recipe for Romulans. I created a green that I liked for my Romulan ships. I need more, so I'll have to recreate it because I like the results. Will post pictures this weekend.

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby zookman » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:26 am

i used model masters pale green for some of my romulan ships either that or green zinc chromate

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:34 pm

My mix included zinc chromate (or your and someone else's recommendation), pale green, gloss green and one other green that has escaped me for the moment. I used it on three different bases, black, grey and olive drab. Personally, I think it looks best on a black base, but you be the judge. Will post the formula this weekend.

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby zookman » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:03 pm

heres my romulan scoutship done in pale green ... realy need better pics since it does look alot more yellowish than it is and one pic looks like gray primer lol
... this was brush painted many moons ago and realu needs a repaint and much better pics taken ...

Return to “Finishing”