Brittle R2 Decals?

Painting methods, display options and general tweaks.
FatherRob
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander
Location: Bargersville, Indiana, USA, NA, Sol III, Terran System

Brittle R2 Decals?

Post by FatherRob » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:42 am

Hi all,

I started work on my 1:2500 saucer decaling tonight. The decals audibly crackled when I put them into water, then proceeded to partially dissolve and fracture before I ever touched them.

Anyone have any experiences with this and, if so, any suggestions? I don't want to have to buy a totally new set of decals, as I am already getting custom name and registry decals.

The massive decal for the Enterprise C upper saucer wasn't much better, but I think I managed to salvage it.

Rob+

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: Brittle R2 Decals?

Post by el gato » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:15 pm

I have not experienced Star Trek decals cracking or falling apart. That did happen to me on the 1:32 scale Batmobile decals, though. Have you thought about contacting PL to get a replacement set? You have to provide lots of proof to them but they have a process to get replacements.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Post by Moongrim » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:40 pm

A lot my R2 do as well.

A little bit of clear furniture polish applied to the decal before hand will make it temporarily safer to handle.

(Just the decal side).

And I learned some fine hand/eye coordination in order to handle the delicate material.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Julien
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Julien » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:37 am

Yep, unfortunately some R2 decals are very fragile and sometimes completely unusable...

I had the case with the Vulcan shuttle and the 1/2500 Enterprise -C...

Like Moongrim said, applying a clear coat on them can help.

For those already lost, you can use Round 2 replacement program : http://round2models.com/replacement/

Last resort, but that's what I had to do for my Vulcan Shuttle : scanning the decals and printing them yourself on some good decal paper... A lot more work, but a necessity when the R2 decals fail...

SingleMind
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by SingleMind » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:59 pm

I just experienced this myself. First time doing decals. Decaling is what kept me from ever trying to make models. Almost makes me want to quit modeling and I haven't even done anything yet. Very frustrated!!! But hopefully I can get replacement ones.

Oh and what kind of furniture polish should I paint on?
Confidence - that feeling you get right before you fully understand the situation.

Moongrim

Post by Moongrim » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:49 pm

There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Trek-Tastic
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by Trek-Tastic » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:27 pm

I have the 1:2500 three-piece movie starships set and my issue isn't that that they are brittle, it's that they don't slide very well off the paper. The solution I've found is to just use more more warm water. I dip my decals in a coffee mug of warm water sitting on a candle/mug warmer so the temperature is constant.

This is kind of a six of one/half dozen of the other deal. Yes, the decals do break easier, but it's not because they are brittle, it's because of the strength of the adhesive. Another thing you might consider is giving them a top coat as someone has already suggested. I'm not of fan of using future or acrylic seals for this because it's water soluable. I recommend a clear coat lacquer but I don't recommend hardware store rattlecans such as Krylon for the job. I recommend Testor's decal bonder because it's the same stuff, just lighter weight. It's one of the few Testor's products that I wholeheartedly recommend over bargain alternatives.

SingleMind
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by SingleMind » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:07 am

Great! this very helpfull I'll be giving it another try this weekend. Thanks
Confidence - that feeling you get right before you fully understand the situation.

Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Greyryder » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:23 am

Trek-Tastic wrote:I'm not of fan of using future or acrylic seals for this because it's water soluable.
Not once they've cured, they're not. Future, and model acrylic enamels are waterproof, once they've fully dried. Cheap craft acrylics might not be.

SingleMind
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by SingleMind » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:59 pm

I found some if the decal bond stuff at my hobby shop. I will be giving that a try when I get a chance. Also bought the model again good excuse for a kit bash source right ;)

Return to “Finishing”