Wallpaper decals, Any good?

Painting methods, display options and general tweaks.
vikingborg
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Wallpaper decals, Any good?

Postby vikingborg » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:43 pm

How good are wallpaper decals and how long have there been around for!

MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)

Re: Wallpaper decals, Any good?

Postby MEATLOAFr » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:58 am

vikingborg wrote:How good are wallpaper decals and how long have there been around for!

they've only been around for a few years, mainly used for those smaller models that painting is a real pain in the @$$ to do, and where it would look better than doing all the detail painting by hand
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:25 pm

As with everything in life, the quality of the decals depends on the maker. Over the years I've learned I can trust the decals provided by Multiverse, Delta Quadrant, JT Graphics, JDecals, PNT and Absolute Models. Not a knock on other decal providers, it's just that I've had a lot of experience with these and one more....

... I've grown to be very suspicious of the decals provided by a particular GK maker. Great, nay beautiful, models, but the decal ink disintegrates the moment the decals hit the water. It's happened with the decals for three of his kits. No amount of decal bonder or gloss can save them. From now on I'm just going to scan them and pay a reputable decal printer to reprint them for me.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby zookman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:02 pm

acreation models makes some good ones too . least the ones i have used . very thin decal paper and they form around things pretty good even without decal setting solutions. they do like to fold over on themselves sometimes but if ya go slow and keep some water on the decal and parts they can be unfolded .. they dont have a very big assortment for trek decals but cover most all the enterprises and a few others and some more that are up and coming. i did the 1/1000 enterprise with the azteking set they have and have the same set for the 1/350 kit . they have the nx refit set coming out soon .

Hossfly72
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Hossfly72 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:20 pm

For starships, they've only been around a few years.. But for WWI models they've been around since the 1960's. I forget the name of the comapny (Renwahl maybe?) and I've only seen them in life once, but they were spectacular!
They fell out of fashion for years except for the German camo jobs, but I love em!
I've seen several models that were barebones with "skins".. Those go for collector prices now.
i don't know. I'm making it up as I go.

Return to “Finishing”