Dupli-color Acrylic lacquer

Painting methods, display options and general tweaks.
FatherRob
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander
Location: Bargersville, Indiana, USA, NA, Sol III, Terran System

Dupli-color Acrylic lacquer

Postby FatherRob » Sat May 17, 2014 3:25 am

A neighbor gave me a can of pearl white duplicolor today when I ran out of my Tamiya pearl... It says it is an acrylic lacquer. Before I go to the trouble of decanting it for airbrushing, I want to make sure it's compatible with the enamel it will be going over. According to some folks, the Duplicolor is OK since it is acrylic. Others say no. I tried a test on some scrap tonight, but the results were inconclusive since the weather is wonky and I think I got it too close to the surface.

Thoughts?

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Re: Dupli-color Acrylic lacquer

Postby Moongrim » Sun May 18, 2014 3:04 pm

I've tried outside paint on indoor plastics. Even though they have the same name- the color and sheen hardly ever match. That will be pearlescent- outside.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

curt
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby curt » Mon May 19, 2014 3:48 am

They wont match. I have gotten 2 cans of dupicolor before same color in each can and had a variation in color. It was subtle but I could see it. Best to wait and get some more tamiya to have a closer match.

Curt

Moongrim

Postby Moongrim » Mon May 19, 2014 9:07 pm

But, on the upside- if you're working towards an Aztek pattern on a ship....
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

FatherRob
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander
Location: Bargersville, Indiana, USA, NA, Sol III, Terran System

Postby FatherRob » Mon May 19, 2014 11:50 pm

We'll, I went ahead and tried it and had no problem overall... Just one spot where I got the airbrush too close and the paint bubbled. Will sand and spot spray it, then do an overall spray.

Return to “Finishing”