Weathering on starships? Seriously?

Painting methods, display options and general tweaks.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Weathering on starships? Seriously?

Post by Tesral »

Dramatic sensor

The "sensor" that weakens the shields, or lessens the effect of the weapons, or makes the ordinarily stable technology flaky on the PC ship whenever the writer feels a sense of heightened drama is required. The use of false danger to heighten the dramatic moment or attempt to create dramatic tension where none would normally exist.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Richard Baker
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by Richard Baker »

NCC1966 wrote:
Richard Baker wrote:I think Star Fleet ships should look cleaner than most but some weathering helps give them a 'history'. These ships don't just cruise in deep space, they travel through regions under conditions we can only guess at. Gasses, radiation, giant green space hands, all of these should leave some marks over time.
I don't think so. The ships are equipped with deflectors exactly to avoid this.
Deflectors can stop a lot but we have seen several occasions (DS-9- 'Way of the Warrior' and ST-6 for instance) where deflectors are on and functioning but get overloaded and allow energy to pass through and strike the hull.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Richard Baker wrote:
NCC1966 wrote:
Richard Baker wrote:I think Star Fleet ships should look cleaner than most but some weathering helps give them a 'history'. These ships don't just cruise in deep space, they travel through regions under conditions we can only guess at. Gasses, radiation, giant green space hands, all of these should leave some marks over time.
I don't think so. The ships are equipped with deflectors exactly to avoid this.
Deflectors can stop a lot but we have seen several occasions (DS-9- 'Way of the Warrior' and ST-6 for instance) where deflectors are on and functioning but get overloaded and allow energy to pass through and strike the hull.
Yup, one of the items at the long list of inconsistencies of the series...

:roll:
Thanks,

Yan.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Deflectors not always getting everything is the main reason why Starfleet has an entire section devoted to engineering. (Starfleet Corps of Engineers).

Why?

One of the corollaries of Murphy.

Nature always sides with the hidden flaw.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by nova1972x »

:lol:

"One creature's torment is another creature's delight."

Return to “Finishing”