How do you resolve the white decal?

Painting methods, display options and general tweaks.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

How do you resolve the white decal?

Postby NCC1966 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:19 pm

Hi friends,

I have a couple vintage kits here (Ent TOS, Reliant, etc) and the decals are practically unusable, full of yellowish spots and worse: mold.

OK, I scanned the original sheets and remade the whole crap in Corel Draw. I bough a few sheets of decal paper (clear) but as you know we have some details with white background. Not a big problem in ships with overall white (or close to white) hull paint, but it may start to annoy in grey ships.

I could buy a white background sheet to the details, but there are small decals that may be tricky to cut.

How do you usually resolve it?
Thanks,

Yan.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Re: How do you resolve the white decal?

Postby trekriffic » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:46 pm

If you can't find white decal paper print the decal on transparent decal paper like usual, paint the area of the hull underneath it white using a mask made from Tamiya tape and trimmed to the size of the decal's border, let the paint dry (I use enamels), sand lightly to get rid of any paint edges,apply a gloss clearcoat, let dry, lay the decal over the top of it, then seal with another gloss clearcoat after the decal dries for a day.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)

Postby MEATLOAFr » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:53 am

way I get past it is print the wight as a silver or grey color

you can get white printed with special printers - ALPS is most well known (sold mine) but they are hard to get and can be temper-mental for the casual printer (like I am)
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:29 pm

trekriffic wrote:If you can't find white decal paper print the decal on transparent decal paper like usual, paint the area of the hull underneath it white using a mask made from Tamiya tape and trimmed to the size of the decal's border, let the paint dry (I use enamels), sand lightly to get rid of any paint edges,apply a gloss clearcoat, let dry, lay the decal over the top of it, then seal with another gloss clearcoat after the decal dries for a day.

I thought of it (paint the white) but imagined that I was getting crazy. I will try this!

:)

On a side note, let me ask you: do you use regular sandpaper or wet sandpaper? I use enamel too.
Thanks,

Yan.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:08 pm

NCC1966 wrote:On a side note, let me ask you: do you use regular sandpaper or wet sandpaper? I use enamel too.

I use the sanding films that Testors sells. I think it's the red sheet which is 600 grit. And yes to wetsanding it.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:32 pm

Thanks!

:)

I usually use dry sandpaper for pure laziness and because the mess that wet sanding does. But I have had some problems scratching surfaces. I have to review my finishing methods.

:oops:
Thanks,

Yan.

Return to “Finishing”