How to Make R2 Aztec Decals Less Awful

Painting methods, display options and general tweaks.
STR
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

How to Make R2 Aztec Decals Less Awful

Post by STR »

Perhaps I'm simply spoiled by the aftermarket decals I've used recently, but the R2 decals seemed to be terrible (albeit, nice looking when and if they can actually be applied). They tear when you look at them. They don't settle particularly well, even with multiple applications of settling solution. God help you if you want to remove a torn piece after it's dried.

I'm not hopeful about the latter (if the film doesn't soften much, it simply doesn't). What can I do about the former though? Would spraying a coat or two of decal bonder help with the brittleness? Micro Liquid Decal Film?
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Re: How to Make R2 Aztec Decals Less Awful

Post by MEATLOAFr »

scan and copy them, print to your own paper
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

MEATLOAFr wrote:scan and copy them, print to your own paper
I concur with that assessment, they tear even when fresh from the box, off the shelf.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
STR

Post by STR »

Well, I've already downloaded the scanned decals from the 1/2500 thread. I've got a color laser printer, so at least I don't have to worry about ink running. I *do* have to tweak the color and levels a bit on the jpg.

I've also ordered a bottle of Microscale's Liquid Decal Film (which came recommended for keeping old, brittle decals together), which I can use to try and rescue the box decals AND apply to any printed decals. So I'll try it on the R2 decals first and if that fails order a ream of clear laser printer compatible decal sheets and mess with that.
STR

Post by STR »

Liquid Decal Film, at least in testing decals from other R2 kits, seems to be a marked improvement. The decals are still thick and need about 4 Micro Sol rounds to settle down, but are not nearly as brittle. Haven't torn one yet.

I'll review again once I get my replacement Defiant decals (the origin of this issue) and place them.
TonyG2
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by TonyG2 »

I would second the use of liquid decal film to beef up the decals and stand a better chance of survival.

Depending on the size of the decal, it is also worth slicing them whilst still on the sheet into a more manageable size. Less risk of them breaking up although you have to be really sure of getting them in place. if the first part is off by a fraction then you are in real trouble.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

TonyG2 wrote:Depending on the size of the decal, it is also worth slicing them whilst still on the sheet into a more manageable size. Less risk of them breaking up although you have to be really sure of getting them in place. if the first part is off by a fraction then you are in real trouble.
This. I cut the decal as close to the print as possible to minimize flange. Then I cut the larger pieces into more manageable sizes. Lastly, a generous helping of MicroSol. I've had 2 or 3 tear on me but for the most part these steps seem to have helped.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Lately I figured out that two or three thick coats of clear spray creates a strong film that prevents custom decals to tear apart. Maybe it will help R2 stuff too.
Thanks,

Yan.

Return to “Finishing”