Finishing a 3D printed model?

Painting methods, display options and general tweaks.
Shark
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Finishing a 3D printed model?

Post by Shark »

I'm a little out of my element here, so I've decided to ask you - sainted members of AST - How do I prime and smooth a 3D model I got from Shapeways?

It was printed in "White stong and flexible" (Not the best choice) and is pretty rough.

https://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm30 ... 1shape.jpg
Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Re: Finishing a 3D printed model?

Post by Del »

Good luck with that one. WSF is a horrible material. Actually, it's a pretty good material, it's the Shapeways resolution that sucks. I've ordered something in Black Detail that should be arriving in a couple of days, and then some other stuff in Frosted in a week or so. We'll see how those turned out. I gave up on the WSF ships I ordered.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!
Shark
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Shark »

Thanks Del... I think. :lol:

Oh well, at least I finally have a replica of this shuttle. Do you know if the Blue Strong and Flexible Polished is any better?
Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del »

Is that this shuttle? I doubt that polished will be much better, but I don't really know. When I get the piece in the next couple of days that is Black Detail, I'll let you know how it turned out. However, Apo Agathos (mlhaden) is not allowing any better materials for printing, so it's kind of a moot point.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

A lot is going to depend on what the actual plastic is. "White strong and flexible really describes nothing. Is it PVC, ABS? Both are fairly common in 3D printing rigs because they have a low melting point. However both are a pain to work.

Resolution is always an issue.

Daddy wants a maker-bot.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Shark
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Shark »

Del wrote:Is that this shuttle? I doubt that polished will be much better, but I don't really know. When I get the piece in the next couple of days that is Black Detail, I'll let you know how it turned out. However, Apo Agathos (mlhaden) is not allowing any better materials for printing, so it's kind of a moot point.
Yup, that's the one. Guess it is moot, oh well.
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by zookman »

what kind of 3d printer do they use .... ive been thinking of getting one for myself to make parts for other kits from other kits without scratch building them ....

here is the unit ive been looking at .... nothing real fancy and price isnt too bad depending on what its able to do and how things come out

https://store.solidoodle.com/index.php?r ... duct_id=56

course i would have to get a 3d scanner to go with it to scan in kit parts from other stuff and just enlarge or reduce them down to scale i want ...mostly be for aircraft kits making them smaller ( 1/350 ) for alot of my bigger birds ... but can see using it for trek stuff as well depending on what im trying to do ...

course first dozen or so attempts will probly be like crap lol till i know what im doing lol
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by patrickivan »

This is pretty interesting. I didn't know that 3D printing was so accessible. I was looking at the pricing, but that doesn't really give me much. What does that little shuttle run if you don't mind? I would love some of my Google skethup stuff physically modeled!
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

You can get into it for between 700 and 1500 bucks. Several models of affordable 3D printer exist.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Shark
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Shark »

patrickivan wrote:This is pretty interesting. I didn't know that 3D printing was so accessible. I was looking at the pricing, but that doesn't really give me much. What does that little shuttle run if you don't mind? I would love some of my Google skethup stuff physically modeled!
It was $17 and change for me with shipping and tax. Poke around there, they've got some really cool stuff.

Return to “Finishing”