Ideas & Projects for Federation Ships

Scratchbuilding, kitbashing, reposing and other modifications.
dJiPi
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: Ideas & Projects for Federation Ships

Post by dJiPi »

Another mockup:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (47.07 KiB) Viewed 3134 times
need to cut the sides and the nose and to extend the stern ... or maybe Nothtrek/MVM will save this poor Defiant hull and some of my time :mrgreen:
I'd like to have the warp nacelles at same level with the hull (not above, nor below) for a flat ship, only the bridge module should be thickened a little bit.
dJiPi the froggy
dJiPi
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by dJiPi »

Side view
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (28.78 KiB) Viewed 3133 times
dJiPi the froggy
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient »

Okay, I see what you're going for now. I have a few suggestions, so bear with me. I speak as this is what I would do, not what you absolutely should do.

I personally wouldn't put the front of the Cardassian ship on like that. The secondary hull already stands out as an alien design, but I suggested filing/sanding off some "cardassian" detail and adding more that looks a bit more Federation standard. Adding plating to the hull using cut up plastic sheet could cover up some of the cardassian detail and some areas where putty alone won't hold up. Sorry, when alien hulls are mixed like this, I personally like to make them match as much as possible, which does take a bit of work.

I LOVE the 4 nacelle idea being similar to the Manticore class. I had to look it up because all these STO ships tend to merge together in my head. heh. I'm not a fan of the big secondary hull on the Manticore because of how it dips lower than the Excelsior's "belly" if that makes sense. I think that may be more of my personal aesthetic choice though since it's so different than a lot of designs seen on the show. (WAH I DON'T LIKE CHANGE! :lol: )

Also, I don't know if you intended it, but I also love the idea of the nacelles being very close to the hull like you placed them in the picture. I don't think you need the pylons to be as complicated as the Manticore's unless you really want the impulse engines being there like on the Intrepid class. I don't know if you're familiar with the Excalibur Class fan designed ship (I saw it floating around in Star Trek Armada mods and other video games as early as 2000) but the pylons on that ship are simple and effective for the side mounted quad look. However, its detail seems to be just paneling or grilles like the 1701-A so if you're going for a look that isn't that simple, modeling them after the Manticore could be better.

My idea for the deflector on your ship is weird...
Ship.jpeg
Ship.jpeg (36.06 KiB) Viewed 3128 times
I can see, with a little work, that area I circled could be the deflector dish. Alternatively carving out the NX-01 Style deflector could work too, but that area where the Cardassian phaser usually is is ideal to me.

Good luck and of course, have fun with these!
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by RogueWolf »

dJiPi wrote:Another mockup:
image.jpeg
need to cut the sides and the nose and to extend the stern ... or maybe Nothtrek/MVM will save this poor Defiant hull and some of my time :mrgreen:
I'd like to have the warp nacelles at same level with the hull (not above, nor below) for a flat ship, only the bridge module should be thickened a little bit.
This looks pretty cool, I'd shorten the nacelles though. I might have to take a look at my Defiant and review the possibility of cutting her up a bit. Why the flat ship profile though? I'd cant them down like on the Saber Class.
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis
dJiPi
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by dJiPi »

Hi RW,
in fact trying to get something alike the Diligent class
image.jpeg
dJiPi the froggy
dJiPi
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by dJiPi »

Hi Defiant,
I agree, I will keep the lower hull as it is and cancel the bridge module (probably both) and I will cut the bow of the saucer for an additional nav. deflector. As to remove some features on the Galor part I don't know yet which ones. I still need to find a new bridge module and raise it above the 2 side bumps ; on my ship I always complain when visibility is impaired by cargo !! For the pylons do you have a pic or a link ?
dJiPi the froggy
dJiPi
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by dJiPi »

2 new ideas: graft a saucer on top forward part of a Revell Naboo starfighter with or without the original nacelles and ... a monstrously ugly giant factory ship/tender (this one I will do one day) by grafting an Ent-B/Exelsior saucer on the forward top part of a Revell X-34 Landspeeder (diameter of the saucer almost match the curve of the nose). I might flip the speeder upside down to have the third pylon down and attach there a secondary hull (from Ent-C ?). There is plenty space on the hull to create many shuttlebays (sides, top, bottom). The sides pylons can receive big warp nacelles (Ent-C or D or substitutes from MVM).
dJiPi the froggy
dJiPi
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by dJiPi »

Hello,
I'm looking for pics/CGI showing positions of lifeboats on old style ships/saucer. Indeed even if my various projects of "refits" are not yet at the painting stage I would like to know where these lifeboats should be before modifying the saucers. I'm talking about the Miranda,Ent-TOS, Ent-A, Exelsior/Ent-B and Bonaventure type saucers so if you come across these "pics", please post. I hope decals for lifeboats in 1/2500 are still available...
dJiPi the froggy
dJiPi
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by dJiPi »

Received my Furuta Farragut this morning, the sensor pod is 39,5 mm wide and approx. 24 mm long. It is a little bit too small for my Reliant refit but it will do.
dJiPi the froggy
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient »

dJiPi wrote:Hello,
I'm looking for pics/CGI showing positions of lifeboats on old style ships/saucer. Indeed even if my various projects of "refits" are not yet at the painting stage I would like to know where these lifeboats should be before modifying the saucers. I'm talking about the Miranda,Ent-TOS, Ent-A, Exelsior/Ent-B and Bonaventure type saucers so if you come across these "pics", please post. I hope decals for lifeboats in 1/2500 are still available...
I don't know if you have Star Trek Online, but there's a TON of modern lifeboats used with some alternative textures to the classic ship classes like Miranda and Excelsior. You should be able to find them using Google image search if you don't have STO.

Return to “Customizing”