saucer-mounted deflectors

Scratchbuilding, kitbashing, reposing and other modifications.
trek3159
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

saucer-mounted deflectors

Post by trek3159 »

O.k., here's the idea....I want to make a mold of a saucer-mounted deflector off one ship, cast it , and integrate it onto another ship....would it be doable? Will I have to cut some kind of depression into the second saucer for it to fit? Or would it be easier to make a whole saucer-with said deflector? (I hope the answer to that is not yes, as it would really difficult to cast some of the saucers I want to correct) Any ideas or suggestions will be deeply appreciated.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Re: saucer-mounted deflectors

Post by Tesral »

If you are putting something into the saucer you will have to cut a hole. Physics demand that you do and you know what Scotty says.

Not knowing the donor part or the saucer you want to add it too I can't really say the best way forward. Scale would matter as well. 1/12500 and casting the bottom of the saucer might be easier. 1/400 or larger and you might be better off with a filler part.

Again what you are taking it from and placing it in matters.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

I believe Federation Models managed to come up with something plausible.

If you go to the Federation Models website:
https://www.federationmodels.com/
Check under products then it's item # RMC-72.
You can check the pix they have for it, as an idea of what someone else came up with.

But this little product ALSO has you cut into the model's saucer section in order to place it.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
Burke
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Burke »

I have one of those. Haven't used it yet :). Modular models also sells the NX sunken, cut a chunk out of the saucer, deflectors in 1/1000

I'm intrigued tho and must know what you a working on. 8-)
trek3159
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by trek3159 »

I have several ships that are lacking a deflector,i.e. single-nacelled destroyers, also a Dakota class shuttle carrier and the Hippocrates class medical frigate....just to name a few. I find myself in total agreement with David, the former head of Sci-Fi Skunkwerks, when he said that any monohull ship should have a saucer-mounted deflector....which his did. Now I want to correct those kits that are lacking a deflector,hence the question. Ain't modelling fun!!?? :D
Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by Cubey Terra »

trek3159 wrote:... he said that any monohull ship should have a saucer-mounted deflector...
Except Miranda-class ships like the Reliant? No visible deflector.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

The Reliant and her ilk, need deflectors...

https://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/artic ... aneous.htm
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
runner
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Post by runner »

the reliant has the deflector in the front opening of the lower saucer primary sensor array .
trek3159
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by trek3159 »

Even the Reliant....only with a deflector it is now Avenger
Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 »

Ships with non traditional defectors: Miranda and constellation. Is it coincedence they share nacelles? Or were they a Starfleet attempt at mimicing Klingon/romulan/ ferengi defector nacelle tech? Seems most non fed ships avoid the deflector dish idea. Logical that some of the massive power going to warp nacelles could be pushed out the front for that purpose.

my other pet theory is that ferengi don't ha e seperate nacelles so that they are harder to steal

Return to “Customizing”