The next official AST contest

General discussion for future official AST contests and unofficial (fan run) group builds.
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Re: The next official AST contest

Post by MEATLOAFr »

zookman wrote:
MEATLOAFr wrote:
Steam235 wrote:I can see the appeal of an out of box contest. Not even aftermarket decals?
Agreed, see what names people use for ships with STOCK decals
maybe repops of the stock decals cause we all know the most of the older kit decals suck lol and if its an old original kit the decals are most likly shot anyway .
Agreed
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen »

I'm considering two possible start/end dates. One around March/April to July. The other would be after WF, possibly from May/June to September. The last contest had folks from WF wanting to take part mid-way (which I allowed), only for most of them failing to meet the completion deadline.

One other thing to consider is, themes aside, should we have "OOB" resin/styrene builds as a stand alone contest, or include kitbashes and scratchbuilds? I included everything last time because of the low number of participants.

I'm thinking of doing something separate for newbies and those that are returning after a long absence. A mini contest of sorts. I just wonder, if new folks are shy when it comes to merely posting a few words, would they really be willing to post their work?

One final thought is to do with the prizes. MVM is happy to sponsor -one- contest, with a fine selection of kits to choose from. I may need to find additional sponsors, unless OOB, kitbashes/Scratchbuilds and Newbies can all be combined. I don't see how combining them would be fair to the newbie and OOB entries though.

Food for thought.
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by zookman »

maybe all posted in one place but in seperate sections with maybe the top 1 or 2 places winning something depending on number of entries in each section

contest topic

resin kits
kitbashes
newbies ( or some such name for newer builders )
OOB
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by RogueWolf »

Contest:

Space Stations!

'nuf said.
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis
Bentzin
Candid Cadet
Candid Cadet

Post by Bentzin »

Xen wrote:I'm thinking of doing something separate for newbies and those that are returning after a long absence. A mini contest of sorts. I just wonder, if new folks are shy when it comes to merely posting a few words, would they really be willing to post their work?
Speaking as a shy (well, quiet and lurky, I'm not sure shy applies) newbie, I'd be behind this idea. The thought of competing against the folks who's builds I've learned pretty much all I know at this point is more than I'd be willing to do. But a demonstration of skills alongside other folks who've only just begun would be something I'd be all up for.
curt
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by curt »

I am inclined to do a box stock type of build. Mainly cause i need to get back into building! So I dont say much cause I havent built any. Also I like the time line after WF. I have a lot going on right now.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

I think I'll bow out of this one.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
jkb-1
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by jkb-1 »

I'm looking forward to the excitement (and direction) of a contest, but I can wait if it'll help out. What if you open it and announce the theme a few weeks before Wonderfest? Then folks who go there can roam the displays looking for ideas, or to buy the kits to enter -- mentioning to all and sundry the contest they are entering!
Burke
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Burke »

I'm looking forward to it, whatever it may be. Hopefully it's not starship hello kitty tho......
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by RogueWolf »

I'm thinking that I just might enter a contest... the last one I entered was back in '05 I think...

On sober second thought, this might be a conflict of interest so I'm out.
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis

Return to “General Contest Discussion”