AST Competition Ideas

General discussion for future official AST contests and unofficial (fan run) group builds.

What should be the first official AST competition?

Group Build (ST theme)
38%
World Tour (kit sent from member to member)
4%
Kitbash to Kit (winning kitbash kitted)
46%
Kit Caption (pics of kits with funny captions)
No votes
Hello Kit-ty (paint a kit from any theme)
No votes
Something else (post your idea below)
12%

Total votes: 26

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

AST Competition Ideas

Postby Xen » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:44 am

I've been thinking about this for some time now and want to do something special. So far, I have a few ideas, but I'm curious if there's enough public interest to proceed with any of them. Please bear in mind these are just basic concepts. They've purposely been left that way so folks can have their say, work out the details and fine tune them. I want this to be a group effort. Please share your thoughts on the following (along with any other ideas you have that might make for a good competition).

Group Build
The usual themed competition, with the possibility of a prize awarded to the winner and/or top 3. What theme though? Duration/deadline? This doesn't sound exciting enough. Am I in the minority?

World Tour
A small, inexpensive kit (such as a R2 1/2500 Refit) is built and then sent from member to member, "to boldly go where no kit has gone before". When a member receives the kit, minor alterations could be made, such as signing the saucer and/or adding a decal of your country. You'd also take pics of the kit in front of some interesting local landmarks, next to a newspaper to show the date and other kits you might have. Post the pics here and then send it on to the next member.

With luck, the kit would return to it's original destination and we'd end up with something very unique to show off. Upon being "decommissioned" the ship would then be used as a prize for a future competition, or sold on auction with the proceeds going to a charity. Prizes could be sent to those that have taken part, or it could just be done for fun.

Is there too great a risk of someone stealing the kit or it getting lost? Would folks even be willing to give out their details and pay the shipping to send it off to the next member?

Kitbash to Kit
Members would create a kitbash of a small ST themed ship (around 4"). The winner would either get a few free kits cast or another prize. The runners up might get something as well. Depending on how many entries we had (and what the prize would be), either the AST admins and GK'er would decide the winner or let the public decide via a poll.

Kit Caption
Members would place their kit(s) within a diorama or everyday setting and add a funny caption(s). Something really out there. Include other people, pets, work colleagues. It could be a single pic, or a little story, like a newspaper comic strip. Prizes for the top 3.

Hello Kit-ty
Paint an inexpensive kit in the most ridiculous paint scheme. It could be any theme. Make it as funny, or as weird and wonderful as possible. Prizes for the top 3.

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Re: AST Competition Ideas

Postby Steam235 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:26 pm

Group Build. Adversary competition. Could be anything from Klingon, Romulan, to A Borg ship or Botany Bay. You could even allow a federation ship if it was clearly a captured ship, i.e. A Borg modified ship or a pirated and modified Federation ship. Judged on both Model quality and backstory rational.

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby zookman » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:05 pm

just a question on the kitbash catagory ... it says small ship ( about 4" ) can it be any trek kit from parts box or old kits that someone may have laying around and in need of repurposing ;) ;) lol

is a couple catagories i wouldnt mind doing something in lol

Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Postby Del » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:45 pm

zookman wrote:just a question on the kitbash catagory ... it says small ship ( about 4" ) can it be any trek kit from parts box or old kits that someone may have laying around and in need of repurposing ;) ;) lol

I'm going to take a guess, Xen help me out here. I'm thinking that it might be kit parts from ANY type of kit (cars, armor, airplane, ship, sci-fi, whatever), plastic bits from toys or other items, plus any scratchbuilding bits that you need, as long as the entry is an original design, has a Star Trek theme, and no dimension of the model exceeds 4 inches or 10 cm depending on which system of measurement you use.

So Xen, how'd I do? Some possibilities I can already see would be shuttles in almost any scale or 1/3300 to 1/1400 scale ships.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Producing kits previously sold thru Ravenstar, Novahobbies, Fantastic Plastic, NorthTrek Creations, and more!

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby zookman » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:29 pm

wow keeping it at 4 inches is gonna severly limit kit parts to be used unless they 2500 or smaller .. a 1/2500 galaxy saucer is bigger then that ... might have to rething what i had in mind lol

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Postby Xen » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:41 pm

Only 3 votes so far? I think it's time to get the cattle prod out. :twisted:

Group Build. Adversary competition. Could be anything from Klingon, Romulan, to A Borg ship or Botany Bay. You could even allow a federation ship if it was clearly a captured ship, i.e. A Borg modified ship or a pirated and modified Federation ship. Judged on both Model quality and backstory rational.

Great idea! What about an alternate universe theme? Good/bad?

I'm going to take a guess, Xen help me out here. I'm thinking that it might be kit parts from ANY type of kit (cars, armor, airplane, ship, sci-fi, whatever), plastic bits from toys or other items, plus any scratchbuilding bits that you need, as long as the entry is an original design, has a Star Trek theme, and no dimension of the model exceeds 4 inches or 10 cm depending on which system of measurement you use.

That sounds good to me. :)

wow keeping it at 4 inches is gonna severly limit kit parts to be used unless they 2500 or smaller .. a 1/2500 galaxy saucer is bigger then that ... might have to rething what i had in mind lol

The problem with doing a bigger kit is the cost for the GK'er. We can't expect them to cast massive ships and foot the bill. However, if a regular kit is offered as a prize, then obviously that wouldn't be a factor and you could make your bashes as big as you want. :)

is a couple catagories i wouldnt mind doing something in lol

Depending on the feedback we get we'll most likely be doing most of these at some point.

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby zookman » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:47 pm

i see well i wuppose this would kive me good experiance in recasting kit parts in resin lol ... making molds and casting what-ever parts i may need or parts of parts lol

maxtype
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Postby maxtype » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:47 pm

I voted for a Group Build. My idea for the Group Build is "in the 25th Century". Somewhat inspired by Star Trek Online, what ships do you think will still be in service, and what changes will have been made? Just as an example, the Galaxy-class will be 50 years old in the early 25th Century, and I'm sure they'll still be a fleet mainstay,probably with extensive refits.

So, kits,modifieds, bashes, scratchbuilds - what do you think the fleets of the future will look like?

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Postby Steam235 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:51 pm

maxtype wrote:I voted for a Group Build. My idea for the Group Build is "in the 25th Century". Somewhat inspired by Star Trek Online, what ships do you think will still be in service, and what changes will have been made? Just as an example, the Galaxy-class will be 50 years old in the early 25th Century, and I'm sure they'll still be a fleet mainstay,probably with extensive refits.

So, kits,modifieds, bashes, scratchbuilds - what do you think the fleets of the future will look like?

I dig that.

patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby patrickivan » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:59 pm

I'm keen on the kitbash because it will hopefully showcase originallity, skill, and fun. But I admit that the world tour felt like a fun idea. Though I'd really rather kitbash.

BASHY BASHY!
"I drink to make people interesting"

George Nathan

Return to “General Contest Discussion”