My 1/350 TOS Enterprise.

Work in progress, completed builds and general 1/350 related discussion.
Jim Kirk
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: My 1/350 TOS Enterprise.

Post by Jim Kirk » Fri May 22, 2015 12:14 pm

One more image of the same build up...

kobayashimaru
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by kobayashimaru » Fri May 22, 2015 2:51 pm

@JimKirk,
Wow!
The astonish gaze of wonder from the store is testament to the awesome of this model.
The more recent image,
evoke the Richard Feynman cover of the TOS theme (based on The Cage theme, which had more bongos)
or
perhaps the Eric Miyashiro brassy TOS version (itself, based on Maynard Fergusons variant).

Have ST:Renegades been in contact yet?
This reminds of Derek Meddings work... speaking of which,
have you any similar projects in mind?

Jim Kirk
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Jim Kirk » Mon May 25, 2015 10:57 pm

Hey Guys...

I was alerted by a Face Book Friend that my Enterprise (the one in this thread) Is in the readers Gallery section of this months Issue of FineScale Modeler. It's my second time in the gallery(My custom Millennium Falcon was in there).

A small honor to be sure but still kinda cool!!

Here is the Issue cover, available at news stands now, and the Picture they used!

SeverusSnape
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by SeverusSnape » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:21 pm

I'm just going to flat out ask.

There has been discussion on a few boards and groups and boards.

It looks like on your pictures you've photoshopped nacelle domes from production effects shots on to your model. Some people think that on your space shots, the lights on the saucer and neck are photo shopped on too.

I know you've presented these as altered to match effects shots, but could you break down what in those pictures is photoshopped and what is the model?

kobayashimaru
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by kobayashimaru » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:36 pm

@SeverusSnape
Howdy, and an excellent question! :lol:
most of the other webpresence, they ask this question in the spirit of modelmaking and emulation -
not to kavetch or be legaleagle and stickler for credits hehehe,
moreover rather,
to ask how it is some final visual composite effect were achieved, so as others might try along at home to achieve a similar effect with their own projects :D there's no shame in asking excellent questions, as curiosity helps to enhance the hobby, and it is clear this question is meant in good intent.

We can see somewhat, and answer ourselves this very interesting question,
as the OP has shared many many images -
there is the model in the shop - with passers by,
the making of photos (with hands and other objects for scale)
and different composite shots.

Most of all the detail, ostensibly is on the actual physical model assembled by the OP.
that model also exists, and has been assembled with luftwaffe grey, and even the reflective tape as the original may have used.

For the composites - a few different methods appear to have been used -
some are just an enhancement of the raw still, because we do not yet have lazerphaser heheh (though, some try to recreate even this with Lazer or Bluray diode)
(so, if you alter in an image editing suite the image- you still see artifacts and keytones from other elements, which are not present in the enhanced or composited areas).
In some other composite photos, it looks as though a 'layer dissolve" has been used - with parts of the physical model blended with a still from a TOS-R image (though I might be wrong about the images sourced, this is based on cursory reflection on RGB-band inconsistencies, and image alteration/evaluation in GIMP).

So, Severus,
are you asking:
what is the method of composite? (layer disolve, superimposed decoupage, decoupage etc)
indicate/circle on the final composite images where it is you have some question, and maybe that can help to reflect on how a certain look was achieve?
maybe, a side by side: on left, the still from the actual episode etc, on right, the homage by Jim Kirk - and we can figure for ourselves the nuances :D
I think it is somewhat to do with the aperture settings, and the focal length of the camera, which enhance the low light effect.

what is a rough ratio of 'raw model' to 'composite'? (we can quantify this with pixel count, ostensibly ~85% original model the OP makes, 15% post effect image alteration or composite with an existing still image).
and "what source images were used for some of the composites?" - this last question would be fascinating to learn, so as if any decoupage/collage did occur, people could try similarly to recreate that visual style (Chris Cunningham, for example, with his 100% CGI recreations, might find that info fascinating).

Yet, also, in part, magicians try not to reveal all their secrets -
and whatever mode of display the Original Poster (Jim Kirk) uses, and however some decoupages or collage enhance her -
it is undeniable there is, in the raw, tangible, physical model,
some real magic.

My own opinion?
Perhaps, already I have spoken out of turn,
and do not intend to speak for Jim Kirk, the OP.
However, I think only some 'minor' special effect enhancement or composite goes on here -
that finishing touch which strive to recreate some of the original effects we saw on the silver screen.
it is mostly the hard work and assembly of the recreation and model that Jim Kirk make, which shines through in the homage images :D

This project is inspiring,
and it would be a shame for any misunderstanding to transpire,
for this place, AST,
to descend into the flamewars which may embroil elsewhere :)

Jim Kirk
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Jim Kirk » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:03 am

SeverusSnape wrote:I'm just going to flat out ask.

There has been discussion on a few boards and groups and boards.

It looks like on your pictures you've photoshopped nacelle domes from production effects shots on to your model. Some people think that on your space shots, the lights on the saucer and neck are photo shopped on too.

I know you've presented these as altered to match effects shots, but could you break down what in those pictures is photoshopped and what is the model?

No worries I would be happy to comply with your questions as I find it very humbling that such questions and discussion's would take place. :D

The picture is a composite of my 1/350 Enterprise build up. I did it in the spirit of the actual TV series and as homage to the making of Star Trek cover. I described how I got the Nacelle effect in other forums but I'll do it again here. I'll address your comments one at a time to be clear...

The Nacelles looked Red on the cover The Making of Star Trek book

I used the RED lenses supplied with the 1/350 kit instead of the orange ones to get the effect. NO PHOTOSHOP It took several attempts to get the correct look I wanted.

The lights in the neck/ saucer and entire model are the actual lighting supplied with the lighting kit. I did adjust the lighting for scale. This was done during assembly. NO PHOTOSHOP The lighting as is ...way to bright! For me anyway If I want a reading lamp, I'll buy one!

The Star field background is of course a composite. as is the Phasers.
Those very inaccurate and ugly grid lines were filled in and sanded smooth.
The Model was painted with a custom mix of Tamiya paints, airbrushed over a base coat to give the finish depth. The ship was also weathered to scale.

Re the lighting. I don't light my builds just for the sake of lighting them. I light them to scale...what does that mean, it means the lighting is based on how realistically I can get it based on the subject matter. Something I have noticed seems to elude most modelers.

Also I know how to photograph my work. I don't like the usual Wall -Mart Family portrait pictures. I like to show the models doing what they are supposed to do. Having said that however, I usually do a series of photographs, including the typical bench shots. I have included some examples...

Here is the Wall-Mart Photo of a recent build...

And a composite with the star field added...

The only negative comments I have received on any of this work comes from competitors and their buddies. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting some "pro" Modeler today and this is a very back stabbing cut throat business, so I am interested to see some of these discussions you mention.

I added subtle grain to the picture to capture the look from the original series effects...Hope these rather simple explanations answer your questions!

I was not aware of discussions about my humble work was taking place on other Boards or groups...perhaps in fairness since you (SeverusSnape) brought it up, you could supply this answer.

High Regards,
Mark

Jim Kirk
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Jim Kirk » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:56 am

kobayashimaru wrote:@SeverusSnape
Howdy, and an excellent question! :lol:
most of the other webpresence, they ask this question in the spirit of modelmaking and emulation -
not to kavetch or be legaleagle and stickler for credits hehehe,
moreover rather,
to ask how it is some final visual composite effect were achieved, so as others might try along at home to achieve a similar effect with their own projects :D there's no shame in asking excellent questions, as curiosity helps to enhance the hobby, and it is clear this question is meant in good intent.

We can see somewhat, and answer ourselves this very interesting question,
as the OP has shared many many images -
there is the model in the shop - with passers by,
the making of photos (with hands and other objects for scale)
and different composite shots.

Most of all the detail, ostensibly is on the actual physical model assembled by the OP.
that model also exists, and has been assembled with luftwaffe grey, and even the reflective tape as the original may have used.

For the composites - a few different methods appear to have been used -
some are just an enhancement of the raw still, because we do not yet have lazerphaser heheh (though, some try to recreate even this with Lazer or Bluray diode)
(so, if you alter in an image editing suite the image- you still see artifacts and keytones from other elements, which are not present in the enhanced or composited areas).
In some other composite photos, it looks as though a 'layer dissolve" has been used - with parts of the physical model blended with a still from a TOS-R image (though I might be wrong about the images sourced, this is based on cursory reflection on RGB-band inconsistencies, and image alteration/evaluation in GIMP).

So, Severus,
are you asking:
what is the method of composite? (layer disolve, superimposed decoupage, decoupage etc)
indicate/circle on the final composite images where it is you have some question, and maybe that can help to reflect on how a certain look was achieve?
maybe, a side by side: on left, the still from the actual episode etc, on right, the homage by Jim Kirk - and we can figure for ourselves the nuances :D
I think it is somewhat to do with the aperture settings, and the focal length of the camera, which enhance the low light effect.

what is a rough ratio of 'raw model' to 'composite'? (we can quantify this with pixel count, ostensibly ~85% original model the OP makes, 15% post effect image alteration or composite with an existing still image).
and "what source images were used for some of the composites?" - this last question would be fascinating to learn, so as if any decoupage/collage did occur, people could try similarly to recreate that visual style (Chris Cunningham, for example, with his 100% CGI recreations, might find that info fascinating).

Yet, also, in part, magicians try not to reveal all their secrets -
and whatever mode of display the Original Poster (Jim Kirk) uses, and however some decoupages or collage enhance her -
it is undeniable there is, in the raw, tangible, physical model,
some real magic.

My own opinion?
Perhaps, already I have spoken out of turn,
and do not intend to speak for Jim Kirk, the OP.
However, I think only some 'minor' special effect enhancement or composite goes on here -
that finishing touch which strive to recreate some of the original effects we saw on the silver screen.
it is mostly the hard work and assembly of the recreation and model that Jim Kirk make, which shines through in the homage images :D

This project is inspiring,
and it would be a shame for any misunderstanding to transpire,
for this place, AST,
to descend into the flamewars which may embroil elsewhere :)

Some clarifications...

The model was NOT painted Luftwaffe Grey nor was there any use of reflective tape.

I know how to properly Light(externally)the subject to get the desired look. The model was photographed using several different light sources.

Also in passing, I submitted the usual Bench, Family Portrait shots to FineScale and they chose the Phaser composite.

Jim Kirk
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Jim Kirk » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:07 pm

Here is an example of the Family Portrait shot on another build...

The model photographed ...as is.

Just properly lit, it can now be put into a Star Field, Phasers added and grain to give it the TOS effect.

@SeverusSnape

Here are some actual videos of various builds. Perhaps you can share them in your discussions in the other threads/boards?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AogW3pHg3gA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbTppcQucrY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKtuzCakCbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPFAFoNoDB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0qnRLLE_hk
Last edited by Jim Kirk on Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SeverusSnape
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by SeverusSnape » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:17 pm

Jim Kirk
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Jim Kirk » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:06 pm

Last edited by Jim Kirk on Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “1/350”