1/350 Daedalus?

Work in progress, completed builds and general 1/350 related discussion.
novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

1/350 Daedalus?

Post by novahobbies » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:30 am

Has anyone attempted a 1/350 scale Daedalus similar to Steve Neill's project back in 2011? Not even sure if that's the exact scale, or (more likely) it's a "close 'nuff" version. I just ordered the 1/144 Shuttle stack to add to my stash, and I'm very curious if anyone else has tried this bad boy!!

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 1/350 Daedalus?

Post by kobayashimaru » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:57 am

I have only ever seen decoupage/papercraft of this model to date,
though there was an Alfred Wong variant on ModelerMagic a whiles ago,
in any event, it would be GREAT to see a huge display scale of such a rarely modelled ship.

andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by andyh » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:00 pm

There was one on the web that I had a link to once, but the link is now dead. I think it was Steve Neils one.

Also, Starcrafts models was just about to release a 1/650 version before they got the C&D, so that project is gone :(

Andy

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Post by Moongrim » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:50 pm

The problem?

No one knows for sure what size would be a correct 1/350:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Masao/m ... e.jpg.html
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:36 pm

andyh wrote:There was one on the web that I had a link to once, but the link is now dead. I think it was Steve Neils one.

Also, Starcrafts models was just about to release a 1/650 version before they got the C&D, so that project is gone :(

Andy
I don't think SC ever had a plan to do that model in any scale, but it would be sweet if he did eventually get to it. With his skills, he'd have no problem making a 1/650 scale kit hollow for lighting I'll bet.

Don't know if you remember, but I had a 1/650 scale kit of that model WAAAAAY back in the day, nearly 20 years now (YIKES!). I still have the masters in fact, tho' they're much worse for wear now probably. I have a resin copy of that kit built and painted on my site. I weathered it to look like a ship that had been "found" years after its disappearance. Here's one of the pics:

I still remember building that master with Dennis. It was just after I graduated HS, and he was still using that awesome polyester based resin that, if you didn't ventilate, made you higher than a kite. Everything was lathe turned, but the ball basic shape was done by pouring resin into a glass ball ornament....which was then removed with the high tech method of "slam it against the sidewalk." The resulting sphere was then chucked into the lathe and made perfectly round and finished.

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by zookman » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:39 am

ive got a resin one of thses but its missing pylons and nacells not sure of the scale but what i got is about 6-8 inches long .. will have to dig it out and see

andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by andyh » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:48 am

Actually, my bad, I was talking about Sci-Fi Miniatures! I always mix those two name up :oops:

Andy

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:09 pm

Ah, now I see. That would have been an awesome kit if it had come to light! I had a couple of his vac kits and they were very nice. At the time he had the only Botany Bay around, and it was a very fun model to put together.

I got my 1/144 shuttle stack in the mail last week and ran some numbers today. The 4" sphere is a LITTLE small, but not so much that it will look weird. I'm now trying to source some clear 1" hemispheres. I am not going to do a huge light up job on this, but it seems silly to build a large hollow scratchbuild and not try to at least light the engines and a few windows. This will be a long haul project though.

Kratok
Perhaps today IS a good day to model
Perhaps today IS a good day to model

Post by Kratok » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:57 am

Tom Sasser picked up a large shuttle stack when he was in town visiting many years ago. He intended it to be a Daedalus, and I think it was to have been 1:350. Not sure. Never saw anything posted - don't know if he ever started construction or not.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by novahobbies » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:58 am

Yep, that's the kit that I'm using as well....a 1/144 scale shuttle stack, a 4" sphere, and 1" hemispheres for the bussards. Should be a fun project.

I remember seeing a product pamphlet of Thomas Models back in....oh, probably 1995 or 96....that had his Daedalus listed as "coming soon." He was going to release it with an open shuttle bay included IIRC.

Return to “1/350”